ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #3346
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
What bigger screen did you go with?
That is a National Cycle Wind Deflector DX. I had one for 40,000 miles on my R100. It mounts on the handlebars and is adjustable for height and rake. Comes off with a twist of two knobs.




__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
Honda ST1300
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #3347
Crilly
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Wi/Az
Oddometer: 760
Mine is good for heavy touring. But I haven't tried two up
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #3348
wickerman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart22 View Post
Almost 100% of my miles are with my lady on the back. I'm 6'3 and she's 5'7 so her only complaint is that she can't see over my helmet so her vision gets blocked...although that's not a design flaw of the motorcycle. The seat is very comfortable for her, especially coming from a supermoto that she used to ride on the back with. Also, the passenger foot pegs are properly positioned for her comfort and she does not feel exhaust heat, even in traffic. The passenger "hand rails" are also useful. If the passenger isn't using them, they can be used as a mounting location for extra cargo room.

-Ryan
That is good to hear.While I know the NC won't win any races 2up I'm thinking it will be an improvement over my Ninja 250.
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #3349
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
That is a National Cycle Wind Deflector DX. I had one for 40,000 miles on my R100. It mounts on the handlebars and is adjustable for height and rake. Comes off with a twist of two knobs.




Tough to see from the pics--is the stock wind screen still mounted or is it removed? Also, how tall are you/how long is your torso--just curious if this would work for me. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and curious if this will work well for my frame.
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #3350
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,894
what color are the '13's?
__________________
Don't drive like my brother!
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #3351
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Tough to see from the pics--is the stock wind screen still mounted or is it removed? Also, how tall are you/how long is your torso--just curious if this would work for me. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and curious if this will work well for my frame.
I am of average build and 5'6" tall. I like my helmet in clean air so my set up would probably break the wind around or just below your collar bone. If I slump a little I feel and hear turbulence at the base of the chin bar of my helmet, if I straighten up and sit a bit taller and the flow gets cleaner and quieter.. This shield is adjustable for height and rake so keep that in mind. It could be stood up straighter for a taller person or a shorter person that prefers less air. It does mount on the handlebars so it turns with the bars ala Ducati Multistrada 1100. The OEM shield is removed - I made that small subscreen that protects the fairing above the headlight and the back of the instrument pod. It mounts where the OEM shield does but is just tall enough to protect the instrument pod.
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
Honda ST1300
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #3352
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I am of average build and 5'6" tall. I like my helmet in clean air so my set up would probably break the wind around or just below your collar bone. If I slump a little I feel and hear turbulence at the base of the chin bar of my helmet, if I straighten up and sit a bit taller and the flow gets cleaner and quieter.. This shield is adjustable for height and rake so keep that in mind. It could be stood up straighter for a taller person or a shorter person that prefers less air. It does mount on the handlebars so it turns with the bars ala Ducati Multistrada 1100. The OEM shield is removed - I made that small subscreen that protects the fairing above the headlight and the back of the instrument pod. It mounts where the OEM shield does but is just tall enough to protect the instrument pod.
Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics of the subscreen? I don't ride in rain much (SoCal), but want to ensure that the instrument panel is protected, and potentially provide rain cover in case I ever get around to mounting a GPS.

Also--are there differences in the DX windscreen? Trying to use up the last of a gift card at motorcycle-superstore.com. They have the screen, but when asked to select a bike, the only Honda offerings they have go up through 2004.

Guessing it has to do with the handlebar diameter? While I'm at it...what is the diameter of the NC700X--drawing a blank.
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #3353
cabinfever
Adventurer
 
cabinfever's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics of the subscreen? I don't ride in rain much (SoCal), but want to ensure that the instrument panel is protected, and potentially provide rain cover in case I ever get around to mounting a GPS.

Also--are there differences in the DX windscreen? Trying to use up the last of a gift card at motorcycle-superstore.com. They have the screen, but when asked to select a bike, the only Honda offerings they have go up through 2004.

Guessing it has to do with the handlebar diameter? While I'm at it...what is the diameter of the NC700X--drawing a blank.
Handle bar is 7/8" diameter.
__________________
Chris
cabinfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #3354
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: S. Dak.
Oddometer: 88
Options

Sorry if this has been covered before as I don't have time to read all 220+ pages. I think Honda is on the right track. The DCT trans is so much more than an automatic , it's more like an F1 trans if I understand it correctly that can be ridden like a true auto. I don't know if I would pony up an extra 2K for it but it does point the way for the industry to do something that has been sorely lacking in my opinion: offer options! Lots of people will be turned away by less than 60-70 HP. Cars offer different engine options all the time. My guess is that like the old Honda Helix engine, this will be be an understressed engine. You could literally hold those things WFO all day for days at a time and they just took it. You know that the black box is the only thing holding this to 6500 rpm. Honda could offer a HP version with an 8500 redline, perhaps needing stiffer valve springs, that magic black box and probably not much more. I would rather pay the extra 2K for that as I already can and ride a V-Strom. What do you think Honda? Or are you going to let another promising bike die on the vine because of an easily fixable flaw? And yes I know it won't get 75 MPG but that is what the standard one is for. Just my .02
__________________
I also like Sanford and Son but, since I am not a junk dealer in 1970's Watts, I find it hard to criticize his methods.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #3355
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,602
Silly question perhaps: Do the 6 speed models have linked brakes?
I thought the front brake was a little grabby on the first stop. After that I adjusted a little and never noticed the brakes again. If they're linked, Honda did a good job making them unobtrusive.

Has anybody with miles on a big scooter, i.e.650 Burgman, Silverwing, rode one of these? How did it compare in perceived power?
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #3356
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flatboarder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Austria/Europe
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before as I don't have time to read all 220+ pages. I think Honda is on the right track. The DCT trans is so much more than an automatic , it's more like an F1 trans if I understand it correctly that can be ridden like a true auto. I don't know if I would pony up an extra 2K for it but it does point the way for the industry to do something that has been sorely lacking in my opinion: offer options! Lots of people will be turned away by less than 60-70 HP. Cars offer different engine options all the time. My guess is that like the old Honda Helix engine, this will be be an understressed engine. You could literally hold those things WFO all day for days at a time and they just took it. You know that the black box is the only thing holding this to 6500 rpm. Honda could offer a HP version with an 8500 redline, perhaps needing stiffer valve springs, that magic black box and probably not much more. I would rather pay the extra 2K for that as I already can and ride a V-Strom. What do you think Honda? Or are you going to let another promising bike die on the vine because of an easily fixable flaw? And yes I know it won't get 75 MPG but that is what the standard one is for. Just my .02
Just try it out before complaining.
Or even better, get the DCT cross tourer. Worse mpg, but does not matter to you. Even NC riders reported they would love it.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #3357
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: S. Dak.
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Just try it out before complaining.
Or even better, get the DCT cross tourer. Worse mpg, but does not matter to you. Even NC riders reported they would love it.
Just try it out before complaining? Apparently you and I don't have the same dealerships. I can try one out for about 7 grand or so. I,m not complaining about the bike, I'm looking at it as an opportunity to give us options without having to choose an entirely different machine. And there will be plenty of people who won't even bother to look at a bike that is down 15-20 hp to an already proven machine. I do like the concept, I just want them to go even farther with it. Perhaps you didn't understand my first post.
__________________
I also like Sanford and Son but, since I am not a junk dealer in 1970's Watts, I find it hard to criticize his methods.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #3358
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flatboarder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Austria/Europe
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
Just try it out before complaining? Apparently you and I don't have the same dealerships. I can try one out for about 7 grand or so. I,m not complaining about the bike, I'm looking at it as an opportunity to give us options without having to choose an entirely different machine. And there will be plenty of people who won't even bother to look at a bike that is down 15-20 hp to an already proven machine. I do like the concept, I just want them to go even farther with it. Perhaps you didn't understand my first post.
I know several 70HP bikes that totally bore me, compared to the NC.
In case test ride is not an option and you do not see a chance the NC could fit your needs, you might want to wait for the 2013 models or as already mentioned buy a crosstourer with plenty of power and DCT.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #3359
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV
 
gkgeiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Akron, Ohio/ Naples Florida
Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Silly question perhaps: Do the 6 speed models have linked brakes?
I thought the front brake was a little grabby on the first stop. After that I adjusted a little and never noticed the brakes again. If they're linked, Honda did a good job making them unobtrusive.

Has anybody with miles on a big scooter, i.e.650 Burgman, Silverwing, rode one of these? How did it compare in perceived power?
Only the ABS version is linked.
__________________
Getting old is not for Sissy's!
Gene
'14 R1200GSW
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #3360
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: S. Dak.
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
I know several 70HP bikes that totally bore me, compared to the NC.
In case test ride is not an option and you do not see a chance the NC could fit your needs, you might want to wait for the 2013 models or as already mentioned buy a crosstourer with plenty of power and DCT.
If my dealer had one in stock, they don't allow test rides. What would be wrong with wanting this bike, or any bike for that matter, AND having the OPTION for more power? Or the DCT or manual trans? Why is this so hard to figure out? Wouldn't it be better to get more possible buyers for the same basic machine? I would think it would keep some costs down besides.
__________________
I also like Sanford and Son but, since I am not a junk dealer in 1970's Watts, I find it hard to criticize his methods.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014