Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #3766
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
I'm with you regarding the minuscule fenders. In fact I'm sure their must be an industry wide conspiracy against fenders, perhaps the AFC Anti Fender Coalition? BMW would be a charter member!
Itís an engineering decision. Performance of all systems is enhanced by allowing road crud to be thrown all over the front of the engine, the oil cooler, the radiator, etc. The concept may be further explored by an analysis of thermodynamics......wait... no thatís not right.... umm......damn stylists.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #3767
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Itís an engineering decision. Performance of all systems is enhanced by allowing road crud to be thrown all over the front of the engine, the oil cooler, the radiator, etc. The concept may be further explored by an analysis of thermodynamics......wait... no thatís not right.... umm......damn stylists.
It is the same rationale they used for the shape of the seat.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #3768
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
It is the same rationale they used for the shape of the seat.
I think, like many other aspects of the bike we've discussed, the seat was probably made for the masses, and was an afterthought. I've yet to notice any real issue w/ the seat that makes it any worse than the competition. That said, almost every bike I've had I've disliked the stock seat (including this one), but about the time I get numb-butt, it's about time to refill the tank. Think this might be the first bike that I look at spending big money on a quality, custom seat.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #3769
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
I think, like many other aspects of the bike we've discussed, the seat was probably made for the masses, and was an afterthought. I've yet to notice any real issue w/ the seat that makes it any worse than the competition. That said, almost every bike I've had I've disliked the stock seat (including this one), but about the time I get numb-butt, it's about time to refill the tank. Think this might be the first bike that I look at spending big money on a quality, custom seat.
You just need to get broke in on a Yamaha WR250 or KTM, or Suzuki DRZ and then the seat seems great.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #3770
rowdymoose

Quote:
For anyone who compared the NC700X to a new WeeStrom, what made you choose one over the other?
I had a 2005 DL650 WeeStrom for a couple years, sold it, didn't ride for a couple years, got a scooter for a 1.5 years, now I'm on the NC700X. As one would expect, the Wee did come up in my search for my next (now current) bike. I loved my old Wee, and think the new one is amazing as well. For me, price was my main driver, so the NC700X won on that front. I know it's not apples to apples, as I believe the Wee comes w/ ABS, but that is reflected in the cost. Also, and to each his own, but I think the Wee is somewhat more geared to doing some off-roading right off the factory line. If the NCX is 90%/10% street vs offroad, maybe the Wee is 80/20? Just ball-park guesses, but at this time, that's not something I'm interested in, so I wasn't drawn to something that would scratch that itch.

Lastly--coming from the scooter, I really liked having a top case, but also having room up front for grabbing groceries, to go food, etc, and the built in storage of the NCX was a no-brainer here.

I think both bikes are great, have many similarities, but many differences as well. Don't think anyone could go wrong w/ either bike (as long as the NCX doesn't develop some random major fault over time since it is a new bike).
Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #3771
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
For anyone who compared the NC700X to a new WeeStrom, what made you choose one over the other?
I was looking hard at these two, with a sort-look at a Versys, too. I like Suzukis because the very best motorcycles and ATVs I've ever owned or ridden were all 'Zuks. Hondas have generally been good, but only 1 was great. What pushed me to the NCX was:
1) The lockable trunk up front,
2) Ease of servicing the laid-forward, inline twin vs the v-twin,
3) The styling,
4) The mpg,
5) Saddlebags that didn't stick out into the next lane of traffic. :)

The lockable on-board storage was a huge, utilitarian attractor. As far as styling, I like the NCX. Unfortunately, the 'Zuk is somewhere between ugly and hideous, to me. I'm a commuter, and a primary reason for me to have a bike is cheaper commuting, so 10 - 15 mpg is meaningful to me. The saddlebags thing is not a super-big deal, but was noticeable and ...irritating?... to me.
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #3772
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,359
Wanting or lusting for something is more emotional than anything. Madison Avenue knows this and has made a profession of creating need out of want. I don't need a motorcycle in the garage for transportation or profession but I want one for recreation. In fact, I need more than one. One that I had for a long time was my thirty year old BMW R100. With 67 claimed crankshaft horsepower and 54 rear wheel horsepower I was kind of looking at the 650 class for similar performance in a modern bike to replace it.

When I first saw a DL650 I thought it was a very ugly motorcycle plus the used one I looked at had rusted and corroded fasteners after only a year. The part of my brain that deals with pleasure was not stimulated and that was that. I know now that it is a very good motorcycle and many riders are very satisfied with it and all the boxes it ticks. But as far as owning one it just isn't happening. When the Versys came out I went and took a look and shortly after took a demo ride. I wanted one until I rode it and found the engine too coarse and vibratory for me. Case closed, pleasure center numbed. Like the DL650 I know it is a good motorcycle for many riders but I ruled out owning one. Neither of these two bikes aroused the emotion necessary to part with one of my bikes (wife drew the line at three) and the amount of money necessary to purchase one. I also rode a F650GS and a Ninja 650R in this phase. Neither moved me off center. Nice bikes but not for me.

Fast forward about two years and I see the NC700X on the internet going on sale in Europe and the UK. For several months I read everything I can find on it and before I know it I make the decision to put the R100 up for sale and put a deposit on one as soon as it is a sure thing that it will go on sale in the USA. What practical person would do such a thing? I never even sat on one never mind riding it. It was almost purely an emotional decision but ......... My practical side says I was attracted by Honda's reputation for build quality and refinement and I was certain enough Honda would uphold this. I have owned lots of Hondas and believed this one would be no different in refinement from ones I previously owned. I liked the adventure bike styling, I liked the knowledge it was designed for low maintenance and high efficiency - inexpensive to buy and maintain. I liked the notion of owning a brand new trend-setting bike I would not see everywhere I went. The third bike in my stable for a while had been a 50 to 80cc scooter or step-through Cub so +/- 50 hp was not a problem whatsoever. I rode the low revving 54 hp R100 all over the place - touring, camping, hooning. Low power compared to its rivals did not concern me - I knew the power was adequate for my riding, besides I had the ST1300 to ride 145 mph on.

I guess what I am trying, unsuccessfully, to say is that after the emotional decision was made then I could find and justify the practical differences between the NC700X and the DL650 (and other 650 class offerings). This decision can only apply to me based on my wants.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #3773
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Makes perfect sense, Dave. This bike should be perfect for riders comfortable with airheads since it features a similar 45-50 hp along with simplicity, versatility, and light weight.
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #3774
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 153
what about buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
That was the very question i have been pondering. Thank you for sharing ... the WeeStrom and the NC700X are the two i am debating on to replace the Concours 14 with.
I just sold my strom, and the NC is on the horizon,---but, I hope the parrellel twin buzz is nothing near my son's Kawi Versys, as we both moved on, as the buzz/harmonics were irratating to say the least on a long ride.
The Vstrom was smooth, but a handful on loose fireroads, and bottomed out on logging road water bars.
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #3775
wickerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
I just sold my strom, and the NC is on the horizon,---but, I hope the parrellel twin buzz is nothing near my son's Kawi Versys, as we both moved on, as the buzz/harmonics were irratating to say the least on a long ride.
The Vstrom was smooth, but a handful on loose fireroads, and bottomed out on logging road water bars.
The NC is very smooth to me with no buzz.
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #3776
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
buzzz..

Agree that the NC is one of the smoothest running motorcycles I have owned, with clear mirrors, and it really doesn't feel like a parallel twin. It has that twin feel when lugging... But others have complained about "throbbing, pulsing" that they have brought up in the NC700 forum. Those that voiced this complaint were varied in degree, and some felt they could live with it and the problem was never really identified as to what was the cause. That thread seems to have faded.
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #3777
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
These 90/10, 80/20, 50/50 labels are pretty pointless. Any bike can be ridden hard in the dirt by a competent rider.

I rest my case.

I am terrible in the dirt, but that's because I have very little experience. The machine does not make the rider. The NC does what it does very well. Creative owners will make the NC do what they want it to do better. Isn't there a picture somewhere here of some guy fording a river on his GSX-R? Anything can be an adventure bike, tire size be damned. Just get out there and have fun. And the NC is good CHEAP fun. Lots of things are good cheap fun. Find something that feels right, buy it, and shut up!
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #3778
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
These 90/10, 80/20, 50/50 labels are pretty pointless. Any bike can be ridden hard in the dirt by a competent rider.

I rest my case.

I am terrible in the dirt, but that's because I have very little experience. The machine does not make the rider. The NC does what it does very well. Creative owners will make the NC do what they want it to do better. Isn't there a picture somewhere here of some guy fording a river on his GSX-R? Anything can be an adventure bike, tire size be damned. Just get out there and have fun. And the NC is good CHEAP fun. Lots of things are good cheap fun. Find something that feels right, buy it, and shut up!
I did use the term ballpark just to show that I wasn't trying to limit my estimation of the bike. And all I was illustrating was that I believe the Strom is initially more suited for off reading than the NCX for most riders. Not judging either, just showing why I chose the NCX over the Strom for my current bike, as was the question that was originally posed. It felt right, I bought it, guess now I can shut up. I ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #3779
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
It isn't.
It'll be closer to the Vstrom, but less of it.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #3780
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
Agree that the NC is one of the smoothest running motorcycles I have owned, with clear mirrors, and it really doesn't feel like a parallel twin. It has that twin feel when lugging... But others have complained about "throbbing, pulsing" that they have brought up in the NC700 forum. Those that voiced this complaint were varied in degree, and some felt they could live with it and the problem was never really identified as to what was the cause. That thread seems to have faded.
+1
Above 3000 revs it's like a inline4.
Under that it's like a small v-twin, definitely not 700cc.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote