Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #4141
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
You guys sound like that video.

Yes they were sending up the macho thing but it was getting in the way a bit. Just a bit too over the top. I like the mag though generally.

Anyway back to my drab little life ..bitches Yo!
Yeah but the bag 'o pizza made my drab little day
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #4142
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Agreed, just cut the corner and suck it down.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #4143
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
I thought it was a rather pointless and silly "comparison"

All they really compared were each others one liners and lame comedic quips.

So basically, speed was their #1 criteria for this test. The rest of the comparo was a farce for the sake of filling in the remaining blank airtime.

"Oh ya, I'll just put this pizza in my backpack and scream up this windy canyon road to the top for lunch."

If you're not smart enough to carry a bungy or a cargo net in the bike to at least strap your pizza filled pack horizontally to the rear seat, I don't think I'm going to be in awe of your opinions on other stuff, lol

Other dumb guy could have bent the pizza box in the middle, or folded the four corners inward and stuffed the thing in the trunk easy.

They put the old guy on the DCT rather than boy racer wannabe stunter Versys dood. Anyone really surprised by the "Oh look, I can corner faster than you can" scenario?

Drag racing? Seriously? Fer sure that's why I bought my Scooter/auto shifting economy motorbike, and mostly use it for.

You couldn't pay me to own/ride a scooter*. Sorry, no offense, I just don't like them. Given a choice between a Versys and an NC700X, I pick the Honda. (I really did, as I now own one and am ecstatically happy with it) I have no desire to drag race $10,000 dollar BMW scooters with it, or fill the trunk with zip loc baggies full of pizza.

*I say this tongue in cheek, as I was paid to ride a scooter for years as a delivery driver, and no thanks, never again.
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #4144
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
You couldn't pay me to own/ride a scooter*. Sorry, no offense, I just don't like them. Given a choice between a Versys and an NC700X, I pick the Honda. (I really did, as I now own one and am ecstatically happy with it)

*I say this tongue in cheek, as I was paid to ride a scooter for years as a delivery driver, and no thanks, never again.
Oh man...I miss my scooter! Not miss it more than my NC700X, but I do miss it. Riding my scooter is what made me love the NC700X--I wanted built in storage, and I almost got the DCT version just because of riding the auto trans scooter was so much fun, and relaxing in city driving (95% of my driving).
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #4145
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Oh man...I miss my scooter! Not miss it more than my NC700X, but I do miss it. Riding my scooter is what made me love the NC700X--I wanted built in storage, and I almost got the DCT version just because of riding the auto trans scooter was so much fun, and relaxing in city driving (95% of my driving).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a scooter hater based on any silly macho thing or snobbery or anything, they just feel wrong to me. I lovingly own and commute on a CBR125R, so that kinda shows I don't have small cc two wheeler issues

Most "normal" motorcycle riders scoff at the 125R worse than any scooter...
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #4146
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,849
Entertaining but yes but it missed the mark.

For most, urban mobility is an easy ride bike/scoot that deals with stop & go traffic (read here auto is easier. plus for most no lane splitting so you are also stop and go) and has storage for food and gear to take to & from work (read either the 700 or the bmw).

Urban mobility has nothing to do with canyon carving with a pizza for lunch.
Most urban dwellers have nothing but straight roads and stop lights and bad weather to deal with at times.

They picked the fun bike to ride outside of the city as the winner???
Cost not in the factor I would have picked the BMW as it does it all well enough plus has great weather protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I thought it was a rather pointless and silly "comparison"

All they really compared were each others one liners and lame comedic quips.

So basically, speed was their #1 criteria for this test. The rest of the comparo was a farce for the sake of filling in the remaining blank airtime.

"Oh ya, I'll just put this pizza in my backpack and scream up this windy canyon road to the top for lunch."

If you're not smart enough to carry a bungy or a cargo net in the bike to at least strap your pizza filled pack horizontally to the rear seat, I don't think I'm going to be in awe of your opinions on other stuff, lol

Other dumb guy could have bent the pizza box in the middle, or folded the four corners inward and stuffed the thing in the trunk easy.

They put the old guy on the DCT rather than boy racer wannabe stunter Versys dood. Anyone really surprised by the "Oh look, I can corner faster than you can" scenario?

Drag racing? Seriously? Fer sure that's why I bought my Scooter/auto shifting economy motorbike, and mostly use it for.

You couldn't pay me to own/ride a scooter*. Sorry, no offense, I just don't like them. Given a choice between a Versys and an NC700X, I pick the Honda. (I really did, as I now own one and am ecstatically happy with it) I have no desire to drag race $10,000 dollar BMW scooters with it, or fill the trunk with zip loc baggies full of pizza.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:08 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #4147
Honesty
n00b

Oddometer: 9
So instead of discussing the bikes/scooter in the video as competition for the NC700, we're going to talk about the presenters' opinions on each other?

It's a reality though that you're going to get condescension on a scooter or a littler/slower motorcycle, but they show you that you can enjoy a bike for what it is not for purely how big its engine is. We're missing the point of the video I think.

Anyway, I like the Honda and I think I'd pick it as the winner. It's the halfway point between a versatile motorcycle and a dedicated sports scooter that leaves you with a very functional and fun bike - that gets awesome mileage.
Honesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #4148
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
good video, thanks for posting. I would take the versys too, maybe that's why. I thought it was entertaining, but then I think Top Gear is entertaining too and it's the exact same 3-friends-constantly-picking-at-each-other formula

no flies on the NC700X, I tend to think it'd edge out the Versys for strictly city riding.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #4149
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,323
This month's Bike has articles by several types of riders and their impression of living with the NC700X. One is a high mileage all weather rider logging 900 - 1000 miles a week in the UK, one is a rider living with the bike on slick-streeted traffic-clogged Rome, one is a former director of HRC and Honda product developer in the 70's and 80's, the other is the semi God John McGuiness. Interesting reading from the most diverse viewpoints I have ever seen in one place.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #4150
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ampp...0981B98726601A

City Bike Shootout! BMW C600 Sport vs Honda NC700X vs Kawasaki Versys - On Two Wheels Episode 26

Pretty good little review/comparison. I'd take the NC700 tbh.
I really enjoyed that. thanks for posting it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #4151
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
This month's Bike has articles by several types of riders and their impression of living with the NC700X. One is a high mileage all weather rider logging 900 - 1000 miles a week in the UK, one is a rider living with the bike on slick-streeted traffic-clogged Rome, one is a former director of HRC and Honda product developer in the 70's and 80's, the other is the semi God John McGuiness. Interesting reading from the most diverse viewpoints I have ever seen in one place.
and.....

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #4152
mtwillyman
Lost and Cornfuzed

Oddometer: 618
All 3 Bikes are good.

I saw the video and think it's pretty well done. All humor in it was good ribbing. The BMW scooter did very well IMHO. The NC 700 is a great bike though. As a grown man, I can't understand all the bad feelings over this video. I found it a good view. peace
mtwillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #4153
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
and.....
Each rider really loved the bike.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #4154
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Each rider really loved the bike.
No big surprise to me
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #4155
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Traded in my 07 DL1000 yesterday for a new X.Now I have 4 months to get it ready for a DeadHorse run in June ..
My new baby..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you plan to produce a ride report for the Deadhorse run?
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote