Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #4156
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Do you plan to produce a ride report for the Deadhorse run?
Yes, he does.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #4157
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Yeah but the bag 'o pizza made my drab little day

It wasn't bad, nobody held a gun (registered or not) to my head to watch. I like living in America, but I don't like pizza, I would have tossed it in the garbage can, no problem how it turned out.
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #4158
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,026
yeah the pizza thing - if I knew I had to carry my lunch in the NC700X's cubby, I wouldn't buy a pizza in a 12" box. Dumb. But I guess the BMW guy got to choose, and he wanted to show it could be carried on the BMW and not so easily on the Honda. The plastic bags and the Versys rider's backpack indicate it was all planned ahead of time. These guys should get an oscar.

Best city bike is the Versys? because it's fastest in the twisties? They are obviously catering to a younger than me crowd, that values speed above all else. For me, the clutch is a real handicap in city riding. I would love to have the DCT!

Also I was a bit surprised they went with the "sport" version of the BMW, and not the GT, which offers even more storage space and wind protection.

I was also a bit surprised at the performance difference between the Versys and the other two. I got the impression the V rider could run away and hide any time he wanted to, while the Honda could not pass the BMW on the straights, but carried a faster cornering speed. I have to admit that was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe we need a NC900X?

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #4159
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujeni View Post
Do I want a modern Honda twin dual spot? YES!
Do I want 77mpg? YES!
Do I want a modern Africa Twin? HELL YES!!

Do I think it is gonna happen...let alone happen here in the US?.... nope

Prove me wrong Honda. Prove me wrong.
It is modern, it will go off road, sorta dual sport, will get 77 mpg, it is a twin................Compromise....YES......................good as it gets for now................or wait for the 500x and mod that to fit ones needs..................

showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #4160
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
yeah the pizza thing - if I knew I had to carry my lunch in the NC700X's cubby, I wouldn't buy a pizza in a 12" box. Dumb. But I guess the BMW guy got to choose, and he wanted to show it could be carried on the BMW and not so easily on the Honda. The plastic bags and the Versys rider's backpack indicate it was all planned ahead of time. These guys should get an oscar.

Best city bike is the Versys? because it's fastest in the twisties? They are obviously catering to a younger than me crowd, that values speed above all else. For me, the clutch is a real handicap in city riding. I would love to have the DCT!

Also I was a bit surprised they went with the "sport" version of the BMW, and not the GT, which offers even more storage space and wind protection.

I was also a bit surprised at the performance difference between the Versys and the other two. I got the impression the V rider could run away and hide any time he wanted to, while the Honda could not pass the BMW on the straights, but carried a faster cornering speed. I have to admit that was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe we need a NC900X?
I think it was Cycle World that did a comparison of the NC DCT, Versys, Wee Strom and F700GS. As far as acceleration goes they pretty much said the same thing - the NC couldn't keep up with the other bikes.

I rode an NC. My butt dyno said it acclerated about as good as my GS. Not a bike I've ever considered fast, but one I've owned happily for many years. I haven't made up my mind about the NC. I lkie the overall ease of maintenance, it was rock steady in a 20 mph crosswind, much more than my old beemer,I like the frunk. There's a lot to like about the NC. Speed just isn't one of them.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #4161
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
It is modern, it will go off road, sorta dual sport, will get 77 mpg, it is a twin................Compromise....YES......................good as it gets for now................or wait for the 500x and mod that to fit ones needs..................

I agree, the above bike has many features I have incorporated (Stolen) into mine. Every time you change conditions of the road, there is another bike that will do a better job/be more fun than maybe the bike you are on. Okay, but isn't alot of the reason we follow this forum or even own motorcycles is to make them our own.

Mine for now

This one too

They do the job for me today.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #4162
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
...There's a lot to like about the NC. Speed just isn't one of them.
Any bike that'll get me to over 85mph has plenty of speed for me...I think there's plenty to like about the NC...drag racing acceleration from stopped just isn't one of them. Not saying that's what you're looking for, and neither was I.

I'd assume that anyone looking to win any 0-60 battle would be looking elsewhere than the NC.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #4163
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post

I really like that. Do you have a complete list of mods?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #4164
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
I really like that. Do you have a complete list of mods?
Search under posts by HONDABIKEPRO
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #4165
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Any bike that'll get me to over 85mph has plenty of speed for me...I think there's plenty to like about the NC...drag racing acceleration from stopped just isn't one of them. Not saying that's what you're looking for, and neither was I.

I'd assume that anyone looking to win any 0-60 battle would be looking elsewhere than the NC.
I mostly feel the same. I must admit the ability to pass at will on the shortest, little straight between curves, with the FZ1 I had, was - intoxicating

Passing with the BMW or the NC is a little more involved process. On my test ride I did make two passes with the NC and it did ok.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #4166
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Any one know the final drive ratio on the NC700x (the number of teeth on the front and rear sprockets)?

The local dealer doesn't to test drives, so since the bike has almost the same power curve as the wee-strom, I figure I can at least get a sense by riding a friends wee and never going over 6500 rpms. But I'm curious how close the the gear ratios are.

Geof
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #4167
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
comparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
Any one know the final drive ratio on the NC700x (the number of teeth on the front and rear sprockets)?

The local dealer doesn't to test drives, so since the bike has almost the same power curve as the wee-strom, I figure I can at least get a sense by riding a friends wee and never going over 6500 rpms. But I'm curious how close the the gear ratios are.

Geof
The power curve between the two is very different, so good luck with that. If you really like the Suzuki, they are having their annual 0% financing event though.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #4168
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
The power curve between the two is very different, so good luck with that. If you really like the Suzuki, they are having their annual 0% financing event though.

Art
According to post 560 on this thread, up to 6000 the Honda is a little more powerful but very similar.

Plus I could never own a vstrom, I've spent too long making fun if my friend for owning one, including making a form fitting paper bag to fit over his helmet.

Geof
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #4169
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
comparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
According to post 560 on this thread, up to 6000 the Honda is a little more powerful but very similar.

Plus I could never own a vstrom, I've spent too long making fun if my friend for owning one, including making a form fitting paper bag to fit over his helmet.

Geof
The NC begins making usable numbers at 1500 rpms, with the Suzuki it's about 3000 rpms, . The two are alike up to when the NC is done at 6200 rpms, so not using the top half of the Suzuki's range keeps it on the same page as the NC for top HP but how it feels going through the gears is probably different as the Honda makes a much broader range in the lower rpms.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #4170
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
The NC begins making usable numbers at 1500 rpms, with the Suzuki it's about 3000 rpms, . The two are alike up to when the NC is done at 6200 rpms, so not using the top half of the Suzuki's range keeps it on the same page as the NC for top HP but how it feels going through the gears is probably different as the Honda makes a much broader range in the lower rpms.

Art
Sorry, i should have been more clear. As someone who usually owns 90-120 hp bikes, my interest isn't to discover the nuances of the power curve, but simply whether I could live with (and tour) on a bike with the limited power numbers. My last bike was a triumph tiger, and I'd love the tiger800, but the money gods may not be generous.

Geof