Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #4351
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,416
Seat comfort ..

Hey ....

There is now a high quality - low price fix to the Seat Comfort ....

Seat Concepts is in the progress of releasing one of their Foam & Cover kits for the NC700X.

Also until 5/18/13 they are running a group buy (which includes free shipping and discount) over on the NC700X forum.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/group-p...group-buy.html

also see the link below for additional pictures ...

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-g...s-input-5.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Could you provide some of your measurements--overall height, torso, etc? Just curious as to if you might be near my height, in that if it works well for someone similar to me, then it might work for me too. The seat comfort and wind noise/buffeting are my only 2 complaints on this bike.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #4352
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,109
Interesting this about buffeting..

I'm 5'11" and a ride on the NC700X was very pleasant to me, buffeting
wise. Probably because I've experienced much worse. I actually thought
how pleasant it is to ride a (virtually) naked bike at the first ride.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #4353
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Interesting this about buffeting..

I'm 5'11" and a ride on the NC700X was very pleasant to me, buffeting
wise. Probably because I've experienced much worse. I actually thought
how pleasant it is to ride a (virtually) naked bike at the first ride.
I will agree that overall my complaints have been ergonomics of the handlebar height (I did 2" Rox) and the rear brake seems a long way down when I am standing.
The buffeting is minimal and the noise is no better or worse than anything else. The seat is rather comfortable, compared to some others.
Granted my Valkyrie Interstate was way quiet, and the cocoon was nice on the interstate. The seat was plush and long days were comfortable.
Last Friday I did 100 miles in the pouring rain and 50 degrees. My only complaint was when I turned my head too far, a drip would run down my collar.
Lots of friends, riders and not, think I am crazy to ride the NC and especially when it is windy or cloudy (like it might rain).
Maybe I am too easily satisfied.
I am 6'2" and 210 lbs with 33" inseam.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #4354
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,292
They're already starting to crop up.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...794490390.html

(not mine)
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4355
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryder View Post
What was your GPS verified top speed in 6th gear and how did that compare to indicated?

Was top speed higher in 5th or 6th gear?

Chuck
I've seen variously 108, 109, 110 mph indicated - the most the GPS displayed was 108 when the speedo indicated 110. The differential is less than 2%. At 60 indicated the GPS indicates 61. Speeds will vary with temp and humidity, wind, grade. Top speed is in 6th , 5th is about 4 or 5 mph less. It really feels like top speed is governed as it continually pulls to max speed then stops - it's not like it gets to 95 or 100 easy then creeps up to 110. I can't remember the rpm at 110 but there is some headroom its not up against the rev limiter.

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #4356
mrsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Talking Just brought a new 2012 home

I seem to be missing the tool kit. Is it supposed to be behind the owners manual in the storage area?
Called the dealer, right after I got home and they said they'd check if there was supposed to be one and call me back.

That was a few hours ago.

Just ordered the givi arms for a top case. Been reading about the "farkel fest" but am going to get a few miles on it before I make any changes other than the top case. Probably the 1st thing I'll look at is lowering the pegs. They are a bit higher and farther back than I am accustomed to.

I've enjoyed reading about all of your experiences, and think I've learned a bit from them.

Steve
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #4357
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post

I seem to be missing the tool kit. Is it supposed to be behind the owners manual in the storage area?
Called the dealer, right after I got home and they said they'd check if there was supposed to be one and call me back.

That was a few hours ago.

Just ordered the givi arms for a top case. Been reading about the "farkel fest" but am going to get a few miles on it before I make any changes other than the top case. Probably the 1st thing I'll look at is lowering the pegs. They are a bit higher and farther back than I am accustomed to.

I've enjoyed reading about all of your experiences, and think I've learned a bit from them.

Steve
No real tool kit is included in the US market.

More info: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-t...-tool-kit.html
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #4358
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 4,021
So mine came with a cable that I assume is a helmet lock.Where does the cable lock on to ??.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GS500ADV..THE PURPLE EXPLORE
[B
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #4359
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
So mine came with a cable that I assume is a helmet lock.Where does the cable lock on to ??.

Pop open the rear seat. There is a clip on the back left.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #4360
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 4,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
Pop open the rear seat. There is a clip on the back left.
Why thank you sir !!

GS500ADV..THE PURPLE EXPLORE
[B
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #4361
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post

I put one of these on my Nomad, despite the fact the bike already had two oem helmet locks on it. This is much easier to use. I love it!

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1621

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #4362
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I put one of these on my Nomad, despite the fact the bike already had two oem helmet locks on it. This is much easier to use. I love it!

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1621
I went to a bicycle shop and bought a Kryptonite Kryptoflex Looped Cable 2.5ft. x 5mm 720018-210719 for locking my helmet to the hook under my seat.

Run it through the chin bar and set the helmet on my seat. I know someday someone will want my helmet bad enough to cut the cable or puke in it.

It is the risk we take.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #4363
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 8,841
My New DCT --First Ride

My new bike arrived yesterday and I rode 60 miles. First impressions are really good.

I was experiencing clutch-lever withdrawal in the parking lot and thought, wow, was this a mistake? After 15 seconds on the road it became second nature and, honestly, totally enjoyable.

"D" automatic is almost pointless as the bike shifted up to fourth and I was still in the parking lot. Switching to "S" was much improved. One unexpected bonus is that you can shift manually even when in "D" or "S", unlike any paddle-shifter car I've driven, which required being in "M" to use the shifters. So while automoto-ing along, a stab at the paddle brought an immediate, beautifully synchronized downshift.

The trans is not like a snowmobile's or Nissan minivan's CVT with their droning boredom.

Coming from a BMW boxer (an older Adv 1150) I was right at home with the power and revs. The boxer had lots of grunt and it was never happy at high revs, just like the Honda. Except the Honda doesn't have quite as much grunt. 5,000 RPM is more than enough given the character of the little 700cc engine.

Power seemed fine for my brief ride. The DCT and low-end torque were appreciated in the 30 minutes of stop-go I-95 traffic.

The seat pitched me forward and I'll start by doing the seat-raising trick; maybe additional padding or an aftermarket seat will be in the works. The Honda stuffing is stiff!

The handlebars need to be rolled upwards (forward) to allow better ergos, and from what I've read, will also offer a great position for standing on the pegs.

The bike has what look to be aggressive Battleaxes on it; macho looking, but I really want to get some Pirellis or TKCs in the future.

So far I am really happy with the bike.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #4364
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
My new bike arrived yesterday and I rode 60 miles. First impressions are really good.

I was experiencing clutch-lever withdrawal in the parking lot and thought, wow, was this a mistake? After 15 seconds on the road it became second nature and, honestly, totally enjoyable.

"D" automatic is almost pointless as the bike shifted up to fourth and I was still in the parking lot. Switching to "S" was much improved. One unexpected bonus is that you can shift manually even when in "D" or "S", unlike any paddle-shifter car I've driven, which required being in "M" to use the shifters. So while automoto-ing along, a stab at the paddle brought an immediate, beautifully synchronized downshift.

The trans is not like a snowmobile's or Nissan minivan's CVT with their droning boredom.

Coming from a BMW boxer (an older Adv 1150) I was right at home with the power and revs. The boxer had lots of grunt and it was never happy at high revs, just like the Honda. Except the Honda doesn't have quite as much grunt. 5,000 RPM is more than enough given the character of the little 700cc engine.

Power seemed fine for my brief ride. The DCT and low-end torque were appreciated in the 30 minutes of stop-go I-95 traffic.

The seat pitched me forward and I'll start by doing the seat-raising trick; maybe additional padding or an aftermarket seat will be in the works. The Honda stuffing is stiff!

The handlebars need to be rolled upwards (forward) to allow better ergos, and from what I've read, will also offer a great position for standing on the pegs.

The bike has what look to be aggressive Battleaxes on it; macho looking, but I really want to get some Pirellis or TKCs in the future.

Interesting you made the comparison between the 1150 GS and the NC. At a rally I went to a couple of weeks ago, I got a lot of questions about the riding characteristics of the NC. I used to own an airhead GS and couldn't help but feel that the NC feels like a modern version of the airhead GS (on the road). Has the same tractor like grunt down low, and as you said, likes it in the low revs.
I'll have to look into rolling the bars forward. I don't think I need risers, but a little more distance between me and the bars would be nice.
As for the seat, you might want to check out the post on the previous page about a group buy on a new seat. Even without the group buy discount, it's a pretty good deal at $159, but since we've already made the 15 number needed, it's now $130 with free shipping. I've already put in an order.
Glad your enjoying your first ride. I've actually been really impressed with the battleaxe tires. Haven't had any issues other than the usual wet tar snake wiggles...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #4365
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post

Great review. Thank you.
2013 Piaggio BV350 (sold)
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote