Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #4366
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I put one of these on my Nomad, despite the fact the bike already had two oem helmet locks on it. This is much easier to use. I love it!

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1621
I went to a bicycle shop and bought a Kryptonite Kryptoflex Looped Cable 2.5ft. x 5mm 720018-210719 for locking my helmet to the hook under my seat.

Run it through the chin bar and set the helmet on my seat. I know someday someone will want my helmet bad enough to cut the cable or puke in it.

It is the risk we take.
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #4367
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 8,040
My New DCT --First Ride

My new bike arrived yesterday and I rode 60 miles. First impressions are really good.

I was experiencing clutch-lever withdrawal in the parking lot and thought, wow, was this a mistake? After 15 seconds on the road it became second nature and, honestly, totally enjoyable.

"D" automatic is almost pointless as the bike shifted up to fourth and I was still in the parking lot. Switching to "S" was much improved. One unexpected bonus is that you can shift manually even when in "D" or "S", unlike any paddle-shifter car I've driven, which required being in "M" to use the shifters. So while automoto-ing along, a stab at the paddle brought an immediate, beautifully synchronized downshift.

The trans is not like a snowmobile's or Nissan minivan's CVT with their droning boredom.

Coming from a BMW boxer (an older Adv 1150) I was right at home with the power and revs. The boxer had lots of grunt and it was never happy at high revs, just like the Honda. Except the Honda doesn't have quite as much grunt. 5,000 RPM is more than enough given the character of the little 700cc engine.

Power seemed fine for my brief ride. The DCT and low-end torque were appreciated in the 30 minutes of stop-go I-95 traffic.

The seat pitched me forward and I'll start by doing the seat-raising trick; maybe additional padding or an aftermarket seat will be in the works. The Honda stuffing is stiff!

The handlebars need to be rolled upwards (forward) to allow better ergos, and from what I've read, will also offer a great position for standing on the pegs.

The bike has what look to be aggressive Battleaxes on it; macho looking, but I really want to get some Pirellis or TKCs in the future.

So far I am really happy with the bike.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #4368
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
My new bike arrived yesterday and I rode 60 miles. First impressions are really good.

I was experiencing clutch-lever withdrawal in the parking lot and thought, wow, was this a mistake? After 15 seconds on the road it became second nature and, honestly, totally enjoyable.

"D" automatic is almost pointless as the bike shifted up to fourth and I was still in the parking lot. Switching to "S" was much improved. One unexpected bonus is that you can shift manually even when in "D" or "S", unlike any paddle-shifter car I've driven, which required being in "M" to use the shifters. So while automoto-ing along, a stab at the paddle brought an immediate, beautifully synchronized downshift.

The trans is not like a snowmobile's or Nissan minivan's CVT with their droning boredom.

Coming from a BMW boxer (an older Adv 1150) I was right at home with the power and revs. The boxer had lots of grunt and it was never happy at high revs, just like the Honda. Except the Honda doesn't have quite as much grunt. 5,000 RPM is more than enough given the character of the little 700cc engine.

Power seemed fine for my brief ride. The DCT and low-end torque were appreciated in the 30 minutes of stop-go I-95 traffic.

The seat pitched me forward and I'll start by doing the seat-raising trick; maybe additional padding or an aftermarket seat will be in the works. The Honda stuffing is stiff!

The handlebars need to be rolled upwards (forward) to allow better ergos, and from what I've read, will also offer a great position for standing on the pegs.

The bike has what look to be aggressive Battleaxes on it; macho looking, but I really want to get some Pirellis or TKCs in the future.

Interesting you made the comparison between the 1150 GS and the NC. At a rally I went to a couple of weeks ago, I got a lot of questions about the riding characteristics of the NC. I used to own an airhead GS and couldn't help but feel that the NC feels like a modern version of the airhead GS (on the road). Has the same tractor like grunt down low, and as you said, likes it in the low revs.
I'll have to look into rolling the bars forward. I don't think I need risers, but a little more distance between me and the bars would be nice.
As for the seat, you might want to check out the post on the previous page about a group buy on a new seat. Even without the group buy discount, it's a pretty good deal at $159, but since we've already made the 15 number needed, it's now $130 with free shipping. I've already put in an order.
Glad your enjoying your first ride. I've actually been really impressed with the battleaxe tires. Haven't had any issues other than the usual wet tar snake wiggles...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #4369
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:

Great review. Thank you.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #4370
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 8,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Great review. Thank you.
Thanks, I bought the bike un-tested and was pretty nervous.

Docwells, I just signed up for the seat purchase, thanks for the heads-up. It will take cajones to rip apart a brand new seat, but after my 60 mile ride I'm sure Big Jim and the twins will thank me...

Regarding the Battleaxes, I'm sure they are more tire than I'll ever need on the road. I'm wondering about the gravel and two-track that my friends frequent, though. I always managed (barely) to keep up with those reprobates while riding Broom Hilda (GSA) but then she (he?) was wearing TKC shoes. Anyway, I cant see ditching brand new radials so of course I'll keep them 'til they're worn out.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #4371
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:

Docwells, I just signed up for the seat purchase, thanks for the heads-up. It will take cajones to rip apart a brand new seat, but after my 60 mile ride I'm sure Big Jim and the twins will thank me...

Regarding the Battleaxes, I'm sure they are more tire than I'll ever need on the road. I'm wondering about the gravel and two-track that my friends frequent, though. I always managed (barely) to keep up with those reprobates while riding Broom Hilda (GSA) but then she (he?) was wearing TKC shoes. Anyway, I cant see ditching brand new radials so of course I'll keep them 'til they're worn out.
I'm going with TKC's front and Karro 3 OR K60 rear,depends on weather the Karoos are available by the end of next week or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #4372
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I just did a 150 mile ride this afternoon, and I'll be glad when my junk stops hitting the frunk...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #4373
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
I just did a 150 mile ride this afternoon, and I'll be glad when my junk stops hitting the frunk...
Get in on the Seat Concepts group buy!!.

Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #4374
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Doc,

You are free to borrow my spare front seat if you are buying one where you have to send your stocker in for modification.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #4375
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Get in on the Seat Concepts group buy!!.

I already did ...just waiting for word from Seat Concepts... I don't know if they are going to notify anyone about sending in their seat before the deadline on the 18th.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #4376
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Fixing that is the easiest mod done on this bike. Two rubber feet or spacers from a hardware store placed under the existing ones at the front underside of the seat levels the seat.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #4377
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
I already did ...just waiting for word from Seat Concepts... I don't know if they are going to notify anyone about sending in their seat before the deadline on the 18th.
My understanding of the seat concepts deal is that they send you new padding/foam and a new cover. It would be up to you to complete the assembly. I could be wrong but I think that's why it's so cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #4378
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
I've had 2 SC seats done, and I just had them send the cover and foam and I took it to my local Upholsterer who charged me $20 and did it while I waited. No down time.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #4379
Codyfication
rides with scissors

Oddometer: 8
Question something different

I've been riding dirt and sport for 20+ years, but I've always maintained separation between the 2. My dirtbikes were just dirtbikes (xr250, xr400, yz426) and my sport bikes were just sport bikes (cbr600, gsxr750, r1). I've never owned a street legal bike that was capable of offroad. I'm new to the arena but the 700 seems like "the bike" for me. I'm over the need for 0-100-0 in 11 seconds, just trying to take it down a notch or 2 and live for a few more years. It's either go all the way with a dirt capable road bike, or drop almost twice the cash on the 500exc

thoughts?
Codyfication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #4380
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrboy View Post
You go - we are all waiting for the final tally and if the MSR will get you started and back.

Well here is what I found out:

1- It's really hard not to overfill the MSR bottle at the pump.
2- The storage compartment gets pretty hot either when the bike is running, or just sitting in the sun.
3- An overfilled MSR bottle will leak when it's overfilled and gets hot.
4- And according to dduelin, you can get 239 miles out of a tank.

I hope this helps.
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote