Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #4381
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zed View Post
Well here is what I found out:

1- It's really hard not to overfill the MSR bottle at the pump.
2- The storage compartment gets pretty hot either when the bike is running, or just sitting in the sun.
3- An overfilled MSR bottle will leak when it's overfilled and gets hot.
4- And according to dduelin, you can get 239 miles out of a tank.

I hope this helps.
a black Givi trunk gets pretty hot in the sun too, but not affect when the bike is running.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #4382
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Oddometer: 148
Thumb Funny thing happened on the way to the Suzuki dealer...

I sold my XR650L on Sat and the project GL500I the week before, so I was looking for a new bike; couldn't stand being bike-less for more than a day...

Had narrowed it down to the Versys, WeeStrom, and the NC700X. I had ridden a 'new' 2011 Versys, and liked the bike, good power and nice suspension, and they had it marked down; however, shifting was a bit clunky and I wasn't excited to buy a 2-yr old demo (probably a lot of hard riding on a cold engine from people like me test riding it ). Was headed to the Suzy dealer to see if they had a Wee for a test ride, got kinda lost, and noticed a Honda dealer (it was actually across a big intersection from the dealer I was looking for, but I didn't know that at the time).

It was a small shop that only dealt Hondas, and it was a bit after 9 on Mon morning. The owner was there and let me test ride a red NC, I've been very interested in it but hadn't ridden one. I really like Hondas, especially red ones. Long story short, I liked how it felt, he gave me a fair deal (no 'talking w/ the manager bs') and I bought it. I guess I had that itch, if the Kawi dealer had been open on Monday, I might be joining the Versys thread...

But here I am and very happy with the bike. First 100 miles impressions:
- much less buzz than my XR650 (duh), but a little twin throbbing is there in a good way
- love the low end & midrange pull, power is always available without revving.
- I haven't hit the rev limiter, trying to be nice for the first few hundred miles
- I don't mind giving up the top end power for better fuel mileage
- low COG gives great balance, felt good on the dirt roads on the 'long way' into work this morning
- handy trunk is handy
- I like that it's a practical, economical ride that is quick and fun
- smooth & stable at 75+
- saddle is a slide, hoping my bony butt will tamp it down a bit in the back, gonna wait and see, might do the raise-the-front mod

Heated grips are on the way (I do live in MN). Looking for some Givi saddlebags for more capacity...

Dv

Roll_n screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 12:05 PM
Roll_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #4383
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_n View Post
I sold my XR650L on Sat and the project GL500I the week before, so I was looking for a new bike; couldn't stand being bike-less for more than a day...

Had narrowed it down to the Versys, WeeStrom, and the NC700X. I had ridden a 'new' 2011 Versys, and liked the bike, good power and nice suspension, and they had it marked down; however, shifting was a bit clunky and I wasn't excited to buy a 2-yr old demo (probably a lot of hard riding on a cold engine from people like me test riding it ). Was headed to the Suzy dealer to see if they had a Wee for a test ride, got kinda lost, and noticed a Honda dealer (it was actually across a big intersection from the dealer I was looking for, but I didn't know that at the time).

It was a small shop that only dealt Hondas, and it was a bit after 9 on Mon morning. The owner was there and let me test ride a red NC, I've been very interested in it but hadn't ridden one. I really like Hondas, especially red ones. Long story short, I liked how it felt, he gave me a fair deal (no 'talking w/ the manager bs') and I bought it. I guess I had that itch, if the Kawi dealer had been open on Monday, I might be joining the Versys thread...

- much less buzz than my XR650 (duh), but a little twin throbbing is there in a good way
- I haven't hit the rev limiter, trying to be nice for the first few hundred miles
- low COG gives great balance, felt good on the dirt roads on the 'long way' into work this morning
- handy trunk is handy
- smooth & stable at 75+
- saddle is a slide, hoping my bony butt will tamp it down a bit in the back, gonna wait and see, might do the raise-the-front mod

Heated grips are on the way (I do live in MN). Looking for some Givi saddlebags for more capacity...

Dv
Here's the Givi E36's on the Givi rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #4384
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 8,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Here's the Givi E36's on the Givi rack.

The bags look nice, size seems a good compromise too. I'm going for an SW Motech rack w Bags Connection PVC juts like the ones on the Twisted Throttle project bike. A few other mods and I'll be good to go. Will post pix when she's complete.

Also, it seems that the dealer may have mounted my windscreen in the "low" position. Is it even worth the trouble to raise to the "high" position, or does it suck equally at both heights?
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #4385
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

I hated the stock screen in both positions so the first mod was the tall screen.I like the way the tall screen mounts and I wanted to mount my GPS and 12v plug on it.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #4386
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Red ...

Hey Dv ...

The RED looks great ...

Seat -- not too many have said that the seat "breaks in to them" ....

But you are in luck --- you have until 5/18/13 to sign up for the great "Group buy" on the Seat Concepts new foam & cover kit over on the NC forum ...

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/group-p...group-buy.html

- - -

Quote:

- handy trunk is handy
- smooth & stable at 75+

Dv
Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #4387
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
Hey Dv ...

The RED looks great ...

Seat -- not too many have said that the seat "breaks in to them" ....

But you are in luck --- you have until 5/18/13 to sign up for the great "Group buy" on the Seat Concepts new foam & cover kit over on the NC forum ...

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/group-p...group-buy.html

I was really happy they included a red version for '13. Matches my jacket

Thanks for the tip on the forum (awaiting acceptance) and the seat. Dunno if I can do the seat now, though it does look really nice. I ride bicycles quite a bit, so I'm used to small, hard seats- it's the sliding forward part that is most annoying so far and maybe raising the front a tad will fix it for me.
Dv
Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #4388
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Quote:
I was really happy they included a red version for '13. Matches my jacket

Thanks for the tip on the forum (awaiting acceptance) and the seat. Dunno if I can do the seat now, though it does look really nice. I ride bicycles quite a bit, so I'm used to small, hard seats- it's the sliding forward part that is most annoying so far and maybe raising the front a tad will fix it for me.
Dv
Look up the " Seat slope mod" on the NC forum..

Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #4389
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Dang that bike looks good in red.

Congratulations Roll_n!

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #4390
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Look up the " Seat slope mod" on the NC forum..

Thanks guys. I joined the NC forum, but I'm not 'approved' yet so I can't see the pics of the seat mod. There is a bit of slop in the front of the seat, I can see how that would facilitate raising the front 1cm or so.

Nice Givi's on there, where is a good place to get some of those? What's the difference between the E36's & the V35's?

Dv (my lazy way of signing Dave)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #4391
Bleemus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
I am intrigued by this bike and hope to test ride one soon. I am curious why Honda didn't make this a belt drive. Seems like a belt matches the design imperatives better no?
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #4392
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Thanks guys. I joined the NC forum, but I'm not 'approved' yet so I can't see the pics of the seat mod. There is a bit of slop in the front of the seat, I can see how that would facilitate raising the front 1cm or so.

Nice Givi's on there, where is a good place to get some of those? What's the difference between the E36's & the V35's?

Dv (my lazy way of signing Dave)
GiviUSA.com to view the various Monokey side and top cases.

The E36's are discontinued and as dealer stock is sold out they are going to be unavailable. The 36s are an old school rounded-off rectangular box design that Givi made a long time. With a slightly taller lid they become E45s which are still made by Givi and are still available. The V35's are a newer design that are more rounded and do not have a flat backside so they can be mounted a little closer to the motorcycle. V35s can be equipped with color matched panels to match certain motorcycle colors.

I have E36s on my 700X. I bought them3 months ago from Competition Accessories when they had 5 left.

Dave
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #4393
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I am intrigued by this bike and hope to test ride one soon. I am curious why Honda didn't make this a belt drive. Seems like a belt matches the design imperatives better no?
Part of the design brief is low selling price. A belt system would have been more expensive to design and manufacture.

Dave
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #4394
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Ask those owners with belt drives about service.........extreme $$$ for belt and pulleys........

Not mention belts and any off road use are not a great mix..........BMW guys can address pulley wear and tear and $$$$$

showkey screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 08:37 AM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #4395
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Dang that bike looks good in red.

Congratulations Roll_n!
Yep, I might have to sell some stuff and head on down to Honda...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote