Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #4426
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 7,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
this is probably 205, and if it is I apologize - but I want to know how the NC700X performs in 0-60 mode. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was taking over 5 seconds. I don't know if that was a manual version or the dct version in D mode.

Mrs. B. has said that I should get a lighter bike, and this one and the CTX700 are on the short list. On the other hand, some folks seem to think it is "boring". Is this my father's Oldsmobile?
I'm still "bonding" with mine at 350 miles. So far I'm not bored, we found some beautiful country roads this past weekend and the bike was light, tossable, tons of torque, really nice. Is it a BMW 1150 Adventure? No, but then that isn't its mission, IMO. I'm liking it, and at the price it can't be beat. One caveat: The seat sucks sooooo badly I can't really stand it more than 20 mins at a clip. Red lights and stop signs are a blessing. While waiting for my seat rebuild kit (offered on the NC700X site as a group buy) I put on an Alaska sheepskin. It helped. A little. I'm now up to 21 minutes at a clip.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #4427
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Mine is going ADVENTURE for our Alaska trip next month.Here are the tires I'm putting on.

I already did the handguards and a 2 gallon RotoPax.
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/26/be5eheme.jpg[IMG]
Northwest, I'm seein the "Trackside" brand of hand guard and wonder, will they be adaptable to a DCT? In particular, the extension that seems to mount well below the normal guard location; does this mount in an area that is pretty unencumbered? Twisted Throttle says that none of their units can be used with a DCT, probably b/c of the extra shift gear on the rider's left handlebar. Besides the seat sucking, my hands get cold! The Honda heated grips work really well, BTW, glad I bought them. Still need wind, rain, shrub protection, though. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #4428
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,023
Ok, another question, if you don't mind. For those of you who chose between the NC700X and the DL650, which one did you choose, and why?

thanks again

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #4429
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Ok, another question, if you don't mind. For those of you who chose between the NC700X and the DL650, which one did you choose, and why?

thanks again
The honda has 17" wheels front and rear. It's a street bike. Much like the Versys. Neither are contenders to the DL. Different target customer base.
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #4430
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
Northwest, I'm seein the "Trackside" brand of hand guard and wonder, will they be adaptable to a DCT? In particular, the extension that seems to mount well below the normal guard location; does this mount in an area that is pretty unencumbered? Twisted Throttle says that none of their units can be used with a DCT, probably b/c of the extra shift gear on the rider's left handlebar. Besides the seat sucking, my hands get cold! The Honda heated grips work really well, BTW, glad I bought them. Still need wind, rain, shrub protection, though. Thanks.
I will take a pic of the mounts and you can look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #4431
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
The honda has 17" wheels front and rear. It's a street bike. Much like the Versys. Neither are contenders to the DL. Different target customer base.
I can take my X anywhere I took my Vstrom,and probably more due to the low CG..

Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #4432
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Here's the pics,hope this helps.

NortwestRider screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 04:49 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #4433
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Northwest, thanks v much, that is exactly what I hoped to see. Pic 2 explains everything and these should work on my bike. On order now, I'll post up for other DCT riders once they arrive. Thanks!
C
Old 05-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #4434
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Quote:

thanks again
It's the automatic! I buggered up my left leg skiing and this is the first bike I can ride. I like it, and that's coming from a BMW Adventure.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #4435
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Like a 19" wheel and 465 lbs makes a dirt bike. None of the middleweight "adventure" bikes are for real off road use. Any street bike can be used on hard pack dirt or gravel.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #4436
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Cycra CRM Probend guards are serious protection and they fit with the spacer kit.

Dave
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #4437
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Like a 19" wheel and 465 lbs makes a dirt bike. None of the middleweight "adventure" bikes are for real off road use. Any street bike can be used on hard pack dirt or gravel.
++++++++1

Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #4438
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:

thanks again
The Honda is plowing a different furrow than the DL and to me the DL was not really a competitor. Despite the 2012 freshening the DL is old, like everything else on the Suzuki sales floor, and has never appealed to me. The NC is new thinking & represented a fresh approach to my next 100k motorcycle. It is easy to buy, easy to maintain, cheap to run and has Honda build quality that lasts. It has sufficient power for the use I put it too and returns fantastic mileage. I know that doesn't answer your question as posed but I'll just say that 7 years went by without any bike convincing me to buy it but when I first saw the early posts and pics from UK riders a year ago I went and put a deposit on an NC and waited.

To answer your other questions....performance data from published articles with my own commentary:

....... the NC700X has plenty of power for safely passing multiple cars on winding mountain roads and running supra legal speeds on the interstate. It pulls to 100 easily when you want or need to. The power band is flat and linear and cuts off at 6500. At first it might take a little getting used to the need to shift early compared to more revvy bikes that make their power higher in the rev range but the transmission ratios through 5th gear are well suited for the wide flat power band. I think you had a V4 ST1100 at one time and the NC has a similar flat, linear powerband that lends itself to short shifting and riding torque. You don't need to wind it up as it makes its power down low.

It does 60 in less than 5 seconds, makes about 95 mph in a 13.9 second quarter mile, 0 to 100 mph in 17 seconds. If you want to compare it to other 650 class motorcycles it's only about 1 second and a few mph slower than a WeeStrom 650 or Versys in the quarter mile (six speed transmission model, the DCT is a little slower in these comparisions). Yes, it's slower than the others in a drag race but who buys a 650 for it's power? It handles better than the DL but not as good as the Versys and brakes better than both of them. I routinely get 220 miles on the small 3.7 gallon tank and usually put 3.0 gallons or less at fill up and that is not riding for mileage, its running a good pace, winding up, 10-20 over the limit sport riding. Try for mileage and you can achieve near or above 80 mpg. I did a SaddleSore 1000 last October and got right about 60 mpg running 70 to 80 mph, higher at times, for 1054 miles. I like the stock seat BTW.

For those afraid to ride a "low powered" bike like the NC in traffic or on a interstate there aren't many average cars that offer its kind of performance between 30 and 90 mph. According to a period test of my car, an Acura TL, the TL does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, 0 to 100 in 15 seconds, 1/4 mile about 15 seconds 97 mph.

Passing: 40 to 60 mph 6.9 seconds, 60 to 80 in 8.9 seconds on the NC700X.
" " : 30 to 50 mph 11.2 seconds, 50 to 70 in 11.1 seconds in the Acura TL.
" " : 30 to 50 mph 10.1 seconds, 50 to 70 in 9.3 seconds in a BMW 330i .

Dave

dduelin screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 06:03 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #4439
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
I'm still "bonding" with mine at 350 miles. So far I'm not bored, we found some beautiful country roads this past weekend and the bike was light, tossable, tons of torque, really nice. Is it a BMW 1150 Adventure? No, but then that isn't its mission, IMO. I'm liking it, and at the price it can't be beat. One caveat: The seat sucks sooooo badly I can't really stand it more than 20 mins at a clip. Red lights and stop signs are a blessing. While waiting for my seat rebuild kit (offered on the NC700X site as a group buy) I put on an Alaska sheepskin. It helped. A little. I'm now up to 21 minutes at a clip.
+1

I'm at about the same mileage. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Of course, I've never understood how anyone can say anything on two wheels is boring. But, I absolutely love riding (any) bikes, so that's me. Also, the seat does, in fact, suck. I swear someone at Honda is a masochist, laughing at our collective posterior anguish.

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #4440
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
It was designed by a "Stylist" who has probably never ridden a motorcycle and was tested by skinny little Japanese and Italian test riders who do thousand mile days day in and day out, and so have butts with no nerve endings left.