User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #46
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Ladder106 - this is spot on...
"What most manufacturers don't seem to understand is that it's much easier for a dirt oriented machine to function at a reasonable level on the street than it is for any street oriented machine to function at any reasonable level in the dirt." - sums it up to perfection. Hear hear.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #47
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
i'm reading your lines of talk and coming to the conclusion you are full of **it and making all this up as you go. reason?

you started a thread like it's a fact about a new bike when you are wishing. fabrication #1. you are describing a ADV/dual-sport bike which is obviously meant for dirt. now you claim to "know" it's internal name is roadrunner which infers a paved road based bike. fabrication #2?

i'm sure you laughing at all us gullible Americans.
i think the truth is you have no clue, but read there is a 3rd bike and thought it would be fun to make something up for ADV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Interesting... 33 replies in 24 hrs for an 'non- confirmed' and most likely unsuccessful motorcycle from which we only know that Honda will make a presentation at the EICMA show in November...

Oh, yes... The internal code for the bike at Honda R&D is 'Roadrunner'. There goes your inside information... ;)

Positive fact… again the Honda company is bashed around – this time not by the always ‘up-to-a-good-bash’ BMW public, but by loyal Honda owners & riders…

Clear signal I think. Go4it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #48
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
ladder106 - this is spot on...
"what most manufacturers don't seem to understand is that it's much easier for a dirt oriented machine to function at a reasonable level on the street than it is for any street oriented machine to function at any reasonable level in the dirt." - sums it up to perfection. Hear hear.
+ 2

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #49
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
please don't do it

i hope honda does not call it AFRICA TWIN . it would be a great shame to use that name on anything less than than the real thing. LET THE LEGEND LIVE ON . the AFRICA TWIN is still a great bike today .there is no need to name a half-assed attempt at an adventure bike ' AFRICA TWIN"
IT WOULD BE AN INSSULT TO THE REAL AFRICA TWIN.

NORTH RIDER
1987 HONDA XL600V ( TRANSALP )
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #50
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post
i hope honda does not call it AFRICA TWIN . it would be a great shame to use that name on anything less than than the real thing. LET THE LEGEND LIVE ON . the AFRICA TWIN is still a great bike today .there is no need to name a half-assed attempt at an adventure bike ' AFRICA TWIN"

NORTH RIDER
I agree. This thread seems to be a lot of hear say and a lot of wishing.

All Honda have to do, is blow the dust off the assembly line that made the AT's in the 90's and start making them again with a FI motor if that's whats required nowadays.

Thats too simple I guess. Would be a sexier bike than the new V strom, with better off road manners and a cheaper option to the BMW, Triumph or KTM.

OK, anyody want to call Honda.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #51
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post

All Honda have to do, is blow the dust off the assembly line that made the AT's in the 90's and start making them again with a FI motor if that's whats required nowadays.
That is the really hard way of going about it. The simplest way is to send an immaculate example of to a Chinese manufacturer. Give them two weeks and they will have exact copies rolling out the door for $US3000.00 a pop.

1990's production quality and all

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #52
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
@ Bill (Eakins),

I'm laughing at no one. Every one has a right of an own opinion which I have to respect - which doesn't mean that I have to agree with that opinion. And despite I love my RD01, I'm not an Africa Twin enthusiast or 'fanatic'.

If you don't like my 'phantasies' (or: call it wishfull thinking, which comes closer... ;) about this bike announced to come, don't reply on this topic. It is as easy as that.

The only phantasy in this topic is the name 'Africa Twin' which I made op. Confesion! But you won't caught me speaking for an intire community like you did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i can tell you're a diehard AT fan, but the rest of us are not holding our breathes.
But there will be an adventure bike based on the new parraller twin - whether you like it, or won't. Whether we will like the actual bike, or don't. Whether it will remain as an more- or less promissing prototype, or will be on the market eventualy.

I'm holding my breath anyway - and see if it will be another dissapointement on which I bounce my head! ;)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #53
Dust Buster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
That assemblyline is still running, producing the Latest Transalp XL700, pretty much the same bike as the old Transalp and Africa twin, but fuelinjected, 17/19 wheels, 60 hp, claimed wieight 219 kg with oil and gas ready to run.

/Dust Buster - KTM 990 S - Super eXplorer™ IBA #53252

Pics of my old and new rides http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...s%20Bikepedia/

Dust Buster screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 01:39 AM
Dust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #54
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
If the code name is Roadrunner then i see a TDM - lite. A rival for the Versys.
Well i see a Beemer, standing here on our courtyard :-)

Hope not Honda is thinking about going GS copying...

But it would be nice if Honda Also returned to their roots, instead of baking half-wash compromises like the Crossrunner, bake us another XRV Cake please, shaftdrive V-Twin, but then with real Honda Reliabilty, that would liven the ADV scene.

Even the styling would be welcome, timeless modern, that real Africa Twin of old:
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #55
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Well i see a Beemer, standing here on our courtyard :-)

Hope not Honda is thinking about going GS copying...

But it would be nice if Honda Also returned to their roots, instead of baking half-wash compromises like the Crossrunner, bake us another XRV Cake please, shaftdrive V-Twin, but then with real Honda Reliabilty, that would liven the ADV scene.

Even the styling would be welcome, timeless modern, that real Africa Twin of old:
Honda already did... In 1983... ;)
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #56
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

The idea of the ‘1983 XLV750R (RD01) mentioned above was good – despite the fact that it had some serious quality issues (gearbox, oil cooler) and for those days too pricy: it was mend to compete with the first series R80GS, but over USD 2.400,- more expensive!

- Air-cooled 750cc Vtwin
- Easy maintenance: Airlifter on top of fuel tank, oil filter on the engine bases right from front cylinder; oil reservoir in frame;
- Air supported suspension front ánd rear – 1983!
- shaft ride

It was in production till (I believe) 1985 as XLV750R (RF). In 1986, the Transalp XL600V was introduced, 2 years later the Africa Twin XRV650.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #57
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Ehm, look a bit closer at the sidecar rig please :-)
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #58
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
[QUOTE=Dust Buster;16960926]That assemblyline is still running, producing the Latest Transalp XL700, pretty much the same bike as the old Transalp and Africa twin, but fuelinjected, 17/19 wheels, 60 hp, claimed wieight 219 kg with oil and gas ready to run.

The XLV750 was about the same weight, 21/17, 56hp. The TDM900 is about the same weight, 18/17, 86hp
The air suspension on the XLV is great, its the average idiot rider that gives air a bad name. It is so comfortable to ride, shame about the clunky box and general lack of modern day 'snap" Lovely looking too. The knobby doesnt work though, makes the gearing too tall.
Would love to have the XLV with the TDM engine, hmm, I'll just go out to the shed and take some measurements---------
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #59
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
If the third concept bike has manual transmission capability, shaft drive and at least 7&7 inches suspension travel... I'll start holding my breath - while continuing to thrash my future '87 Transalp all around the coast of Nova Scotia.
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #60
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post

NORTH RIDER
+1 Well said!

The old Africa Twin was a true XR V. With the new Africa Twin, I hope Honda won't follow the trend for half-assed adventure bike look alikes.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote