Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #196
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,462
I know I'm just lazy these days work has been over loading me and summer had me pool side with young kids. I'm fairly close, welding and finish work. It'll be done this summer I promise

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #197
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
That rear fender looks like my husaberg's...............................You should move out by me. You could get a bigger garage then too.

sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #198
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Yeah but the lemony legsplitter cocktails and gay wrasslin in your neighborhood has me scared

Nessmuk
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #199
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Hey its been a month since HM, get back to work on this or the trailer project

Just for you, I finished welding the tank and lined it today

Stole the trailtech vapor I was planning on using for my Husky 449 and will adapt to the CBR. Also stole the X2 headlight.

I plan on making a composite battery box for the shorai should get that done soon.

Last major project really is to finish welding the exhaust and attach the springs.

After that I think I am pretty much on to finish and assembly to fire it.

Nessmuk
Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #200
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,980
come on then put some photos up then
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #201
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I'm slowly dragging my ass across the finish line here. I forgot how much effort the last 10% takes.

Built a battery box out of aluminum for a Li Ion battery. Welded in some supports to bolt the box to. Barely clears the tank and carbs.

Ditched the stock gauges and robbed this off my Husky. Should be much lighter and smaller than the stock CBR stuff

Got a new Acerbis fender and the new Trail Tech mask. I had to rake thefender back a little to clear the header.

Speaking of the header, I pulled it off and finished welded it. Hopefully no leaks.

Made my own cables out of the YZ450 cables. I turned a SS bolt on the lathe down to 6mm, drilled it for the wire. Put the wire through and splayed out the wires. Hammered it with a TIG torch until fused. Voila, custom cables

Mounted my fuel pump. Everything was going well until a realized it was above the bottom of the tank. I might mount it down under the swingarm where the linkage used to mount if it needs gravity feed. does anyone know if these pumps will self prime?

Got quite a few things ticked off the list today. Needs blinkers and such to get mounted. I am using the LED taillight from my Husky as I decided not to plate that bike.

I keep thinking I'm ready to fire the bike but there's always something I forgot, should be soon though

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 03:14 PM
Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #202
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
...should be soon though
Good, we've been waiting...

Seriously though, it's looking like a real fun ride. That gauge setup looks perfect for the application.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #203
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I'm getting there, just the endless stupid stuff takes forever. I never get time to work on it which is why this has dragged out so long.

Nessmuk
Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #204
sailah OP
Lampin' it

You guys have guilted me into working harder on this bike

I finished up some odds and ends. Going to cap the carb heater ports on the waterpump. Need some gasoline resistant sealant to get the petcock to seal.

I did string the wiring harness along the bike and plug everything in. Hit the starter and the bike quickly turned over. I don't have anything hooked to the motor yet like carbs, fuel, etc but certainly promising.

I'm not going to run a fan at the moment. There's no room for the stock fan and I haven't been able to find a thinner one.

Once I get the fuel system sorted out, I think it will be time to hit the button for real.

I do need to probably strip the bike down and do some finish welding, mainly the bearing race that's pressed into the headstock. I'm sure for a loop around the neighborhood at slow speeds it won't be an issue, but I can't leave that unwelded. Everything else is solid welded from where I can reach it but there are many spots where I can't due to components so I think it's a good idea to do that now.

Stay tuned

Nessmuk
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #205
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
I am still - ing as well Peter!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #206
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Got a lot done last night.

Welded on the spring hooks on the exhaust so the entire exhaust is now done. I am going to ride it for the rest of the summer as is and then get it jet hot coated or similar.

Bent up a bracket to mount my Husqvarna tail light and blinkers. Still need a plate mount however. Sorry about the pic looking askew, I have it clamped on just for the pic and couldn't get it lined up quite right.

One of the main problems with fitting a rear end on a 4 cyl bike is that the sprockets never line up. Which can be a deal breaker. Since I was using a narrow dirt bike rear end I had to do two things. One, space out the rear sprocket as far as possible using an aluminum spacer I made. Second was to chuck up the hardened steel sprocket and melt a bunch of lathe tools trying to trim it closer to the block.

I got the chain perfectly straight but I needed to machine up a fat washer to bolt to the countershaft and that would retain the sprocket. I love having a lathe despite having zero training, I can usually make a close approximation of what I want. One of those tools that is pretty much the only game in town when you need something round and there's a lot of round on a bike.

Also moved the swingarm guard outboard by about 1/2" due to the sprockets moving.

I couls sense that the coolant overflow bottle was going to be too close the shock so I heated it up some more and molded it out of the way.

I started reassembly of the bike too. I having an internal debate about whether the ram air system is going to cause me problems. Originally I had decided that the stock airbox was necessary and literally designed the entire bike around it which is why it has that Kevlar airbox cover.

My issue lies in that there is a solenoid that is supposed to open or close at 12 mph and its keyed off the speedo, which I am not running. Apparently you can ground some pink wire to the frame which will trick the solenoid out of the loop however. If the bike runs like crap I'll duplicate the stock system it's just that there are air hoses running into the fairings (don't have) and the motor falls flat after 100. Might have to rig up 4x FCR$ I've been reading a few streetfighters threads who basically have lost the bodywork as well and they seem to have created a hosing diagram to closely mimic the stock one and that eliminates the solenoid as well. We'll see

On the FZ1 I ditched the stock airbox out of necessity and I will say it was a problem. No way around it, but it def causes fueling issues on the highway at 5-7k rpm esp when its windy. Really annoying, but the answer is to just not go on the highway.

Put in new plugs, hooked up the coils and bolted them in place. Sealed the petcock with some Permatex. Changed the oil, there was a lot of fuel in the oil, not a good sign that the carbs are right, but could have been due to the accident the bike was in before I bought it. Put the problem Braking master cylinder back together again to see if it will hold up. If it doesn't, I'm scrapping it and buying a new Brembo.

Getting closer...

Nessmuk
Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #207
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Very good progress! Is the speedo normally on the CS? Seems like it would be simplest to retain the CS speedo pickup for the ECU even though you aren't using the speedo clock.

6 months until the Sandblast Rally. you have plenty of time
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #208
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
I love this stuff! I'm going to bring you my VX800 for you to adventurize.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #209
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Very good progress! Is the speedo normally on the CS? Seems like it would be simplest to retain the CS speedo pickup for the ECU even though you aren't using the speedo clock.

6 months until the Sandblast Rally. you have plenty of time
No idea where the pickup is, probably on the CS though. I could check but I'm lazy. Sandblast eh? I'd bring a trailer of trouble down to that event...

Nessmuk
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #210
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer View Post
I love this stuff! I'm going to bring you my VX800 for you to adventurize.
Not my first choice Is that a shaft drive?

Other than the sumo setup, this project was MUCH more reasonable then the FZ1. Lots more fab work, mainly the tank, but I think will be better executed.

Got the last of the parts I needed, chain riveter, muffler packing, fuel lines etc. Hoping I can fire it up this weekend. I'll post videos

Nessmuk