DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #272
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Bloody awesome
Thanks!! It's a lot different that the FZ1s maiden voyage. That bike I literally had never ridden down the block, let alone 5 miles, and set off for the ADV Eastern Rally about an 8 hour ride. Scared shitless doesn't describe the feelings I had. Worked out great, never missed a beat in 15,000 miles, essentially unchanged in 2 years.

The CBR I want to gradually work on things and refine them. I plan on modifying the FZ1 into a little more lean and mean, but want to wait until the CBR is rideable and dependable enought o take over primary bike duties for the few months that the Ronin will be down.

I also decided no more starting projects. And I'm firm on that. Ever. Until I finish my other projects.

Unless you think of something cool and weird...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #273
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Steering is a little twitchy, I think raising the back end will help.
Nope, need to go the other way to calm the steering - it wants more trail (rake is just how we achieve trail with telescopic forks).

RE: carbs - hit up google for "tuning carburetors", and you'll find a couple of pages with multiple-step processes and descriptions of how certain conditions feel. If you follow the directions, you'll get in the ballpark.

Way to go!!!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #274
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #275
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,932
Damn, why can't Honda build a bike like that? The stats make that bike sound amazing. If you don't have room to take it when you move you know the line to buy it off you will stretch around the block.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #276
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Nope, need to go the other way to calm the steering - it wants more trail (rake is just how we achieve trail with telescopic forks).

RE: carbs - hit up google for "tuning carburetors", and you'll find a couple of pages with multiple-step processes and descriptions of how certain conditions feel. If you follow the directions, you'll get in the ballpark.

Way to go!!!
Al,

I was wrong on the steering, just needed a little more preload. Feels awesome now. I also think the jetting is close but maybe lean. I brought it to bike night tonight and had a couple people ride it. One remarked he thought it was lean. I'll work through that. Bike runs awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloMark View Post
Missed you tonight big fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Damn, why can't Honda build a bike like that? The stats make that bike sound amazing. If you don't have room to take it when you move you know the line to buy it off you will stretch around the block.
I have to say, the bike is really, really, really fun. It needs a few tweaks here and there, specifically the rear brake needs to be redone for more leverage on the pedal. I also need more preload on the shock but both those are easy.

I took the bike up to bike night about 20ish miles away tonight. Little nervous because I was a little further afield but I rode up with LittleRedToyota and both of us are handy. Bike didn't miss a beat. I am still dripping coolant. The Vapor RPM was cutting in and out a few times and giving false readings. Couple times it felt like it was running out of gas. All really minor. I noticed when I pinned it a few times I could feel the clutch slipping so I adjusted the cable and now it really flies. I thought it was fast the other night, but now that I'm not roasting the clutch, it's stupid fun

The good side was the bike is just a total blast. I can't recall riding a bike in recent memory where I was just smiling the whole time. Maybe my first Ducati ride was like that. The whole time I was just laughing in my helmet.

The gearing is just right. Cruising down the hwy at 65 I'm running 6k.

The suspension is great, standard KTM forks. The rear suspension is nice in terms of action but I want a little more preload. Might be worth a spring swap although I have a really heavy one already. The front 320 Braking setup is sublime. Great lever action, you could easily do a stoppie, fun to feel the knobs squirming.

I have to say I am critical of my work and it's easy to pick faults. I can find plenty of things fundamentally wrong with the Ronin bike. It's too heavy, big to be "fun". It is a great ADV bike along the lines of a V Strom type but with a lot more power. It's been a great companion and I have taken some nice long trips on it. Kinda like a wife.

This CBR though is like a black haired vixen you met in a hotel lobby on a business trip. She blew your mind and didn't leave her phone number

I'm glad I had a plan on this bike and stuck to the principles of keeping it as light & compact as possible. No frills, no extras, no luggage. Just 600cc, big suspension & brakes, underseat tank. The tank relocation makes the bike I think. It's just so flickable with all the weight down low.

Anyways I hate to keep rambling on here, but just got back from it's first trip and I'm super excited about it. Hope some of you will take me up on my offer for a ride anytime you are around Pittsburgh.

Nessmuk
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #277
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,734
Great to finally see the bike in person tonight, glad we got all the electrical gremlins sorted.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #278
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
Great to finally see the bike in person tonight, glad we got all the electrical gremlins sorted.
Big thanks amigo

Now about building a custom wiring harness

Nessmuk
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #279
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,043
the bike is insanely fun in the twisties. so smooth. and so easily tossed around. it just carves and carves.

i wanna ride it with sumo wheels. that's gonna be amazing.

great job. you built a ridiculously fun bike.

you can't buy cool.

apparently, though, sailah can build it.
LittleRedToyota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #280
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Has the rear shock still got standard valving?
Is it dealing with the extra mass ok or do you think it needs a revalve?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #281
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Has the rear shock still got standard valving?
Is it dealing with the extra mass ok or do you think it needs a revalve?
Yes stock shock, I think its an 08 or 09 EXC shock. I have a super heavy spring from Slavens he spec'd for a target weight of 350. I think it might be a 12.5?? 9.6? Can't remember. First step is cranking in more preload as it just feels soft. Comfortable, but soft. Maybe try some clickers.

Front end is right out of a 2006 450 EXC. I haven't even put the heavier front springs (I know those are 0.59) in yet. It's hard to tell you what's going on with the front as I have a severely unbalanced front tire and possibly some fork stiction as I didn't torque, I just tightened.

If I do need a revalve, I plan on bringing the entire bike to a local tuner. We have Pro Action locally and also a few of my local riding buddies know some independent tuners. The last two sets of suspension I have shipped. Not only is it very expensive to ship both ways, but then if something isn't right, it's hard to fix. I'd rather deal local on this and have the tuner go take it for a ride, especially with so many variables and the bike being a complete unknown.

Oh and my arrival at bike night last night, the official unveiling. I'm a little disappointed I thought the TV cameras, hot babes, fireworks would be going off Instead I got my local riding buddies, which is the only reason I go there, luv ya boys!!

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 05:45 AM
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #282
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Awesome dude, bike looks great. Thanks for the detailed build!!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #283
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Big thanks amigo

Now about building a custom wiring harness
Sounds like a good winter project.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #284
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Sex on wheels man (the bike, not you)!

Careful about over-tightening those triples from the 450, could result in a nasty failure.

Have fun
Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #285
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks will do. I'm going to true the wheel and balance it then remount the forks after I put in heavy springs.

I'm bummed, on vacation lakeside at a beautiful house with entire family and all I want to do is ride that beast.

Nessmuk