User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #301
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,355
Guys,

I think the issue is the swingarm I am using wasnt designed for running street tires.

Since I already have a really nice tire I plan on running that. Nothing touches yet, if it does I'll shave the corner until it clears. Next tire I will check with the guys at super moto junkie as they usually know what tires work.

Bambi, I remember. I was this close to buying an aprilia futura in milan and keeping there as a time share with buddies. Deal fell apart though.

Would be fun to ship this bike over. Little lacking in the touring dept though.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #302
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Well I passed the 100 mile mark last night. I had switched out the dirt wheels for the Sumo wheels. Had to ditch the chain guard. I also had to use the dirt sprocket as the only other one had even more teeth. I'll need to buy a dedicated sprocket for it, maybe 4-5 teeth down on gearing commander. Should also allow me to pull the wheel back in the swingarm a little and help with the rubbing on the right side.

So anyways, it was my first sportbike tire ride and was it ever fun. I know I have some jetting issues and I plan to tackle those but aside from that, it was just brilliant. No weird handling just firing corner to corner, very nimble. The lean spot and bog weren't helping but those can be jetted out. Up top it's just very fast accelerating. The light weight accentuates the motor well.

Feels very very eager

I need to get another 320 rotor, the one on the front sumo wheel is a 310. It works fine but it's probably bad for the pads to run it like that. Also need another magnet for the speedo pickup.

Plan on getting it to a shop for some dyno time or at least someone who can help, not just do, the jetting for me. I hate jetting and I'm no good at it. Probably money well spent. Once that is worked out, it's finalizing the small stuff and getting it powdercoated and painted.

I really wish some of you would come ride it, it's just a riot with the light weight and power. I wish even more some of you would attempt a build with the same bike I did, owning one is an experience. I don't see my FZ1 hybrid getting any serious seat time for day rides when I have this bike, it's that much fun.

Nessmuk
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #303
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Glad it turned out so good, persistence paid off.

Shimming your needles might fix your lean stumble, its easy and free. Just pull your airbox off so you can then pull the tops of the carbs off. Find some tiny washers (or make them) and raise your needles up to richen the mid-response.

My cbr9 was stock except for the exhaust and it was maddening trying to tune a lean stumble out with the fuel screws. I cleaned the carbs about 4 times but didn't get anywhere until I started raising the needles. I ended up shimming them about a mm. When I sold it, the kids that were born after carbs went out of style couldn't believe how crisp it was

Also, you might find yours has a jet kit with adjustable needles!
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #304
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Good advice. I scheduled some dyno time with a local guy who I trust and has done machine work to help with the jetting. He has an afr setup and lots of experience

I'm close just need a tweak

Bought an emig triple damper setup and getting another hdb hand guard kit. Hello bling

Nessmuk
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #305
sailah OP
Lampin' it

The tire clearance issue was fairly minor. The chain wore on the left side and there was some rubber dust on the swingarm. Not too bad. The right side there was a small, maybe 1 mm, patch worn smooth by brushing up against the swingarm, I imagine during cornering. I plan to cut that away to gain a little more clearance. Handles awesome

Nessmuk
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #306
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Haven't done much to the bike other than ride. I figured out exactly my fuel range, which was about 75 miles, or about 0.2 miles before the Sunoco station. About what I expected. Hopefully I can tune it a little better to get some more miles. The tank holds 2.16 gals. I wasn't being easy on the bike either and I had what I suspected was a slipping clutch for the first 40 miles. I don't know what effect that will have on mileage, but I plan to carry a MSR bottle with me

At some point I might remake the subframe. There's no reason for it to be so thin and the seat isn't exactly comfortable. There's easily space to pump the tank out another couple gals. 4 would be perfect.

Got some new bling from Highway Dirt Bikes. I LOVE the guards. I have them on my Husky and they are the most bomber protection you can get. It really is the best of the best, and Paul is a great guy to do business with. I got these in black because I figured I wouldn't be dropping it as much as the Husky so I don't need to worry about scratching the powder coat. I got them with the ADV top plate with switches. I plan to remove the key switch and start switch entirely with these. I rode a 950SE that had this setup and I really liked it. Paul is sending the vapor w/dash protector when he finishes the new batch.

All that is going on a new-to-me Emig triple clamp with damper I got from a fellow ADV'er, arriving any day now. I tried to find the stock black billet clamps from the new KTMs and then run the KTM damper setup from JesusGatos, but the Emig was too good a deal to pass up. I do really like the look of the GatosBros setup and will run it on the FZ1 when I retool the front end on that this winter.

Nessmuk
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #307
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Sweet triples. Keep it up!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #308
TerraRoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
that kinda milage is what i get around town, you can expect it to up if you keep to between 40-75mph, i can get 190 miles out of 14 litres at 70.
TerraRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #309
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Rode the bike again up to bike night as is my usual routine on Thursday.

The popping on decel and hesitation is brutal though. I think I was gritting my teeth through the last couple weeks just excited to ride it

If you are going 60 mph down the highway and back off to steady throttle, it just bucks and slows and generally is miserable to ride. Whack it wide open to the main jet and it hauls ass. The CV carbs don't have clips, just the ability to stack washers under them. I measured the stock washer and it was 0.50mm so I added one more. I also turned the pilot screw out another half turn so I'm at 2 turns out.

I really hate carbs, I'm trying to force myself to digest how they work because I need to understand how to adjust with this wacky bike and exhaust I have.

So I'm going to run that setup and see what changes for the better, it's hard to get worse. Bike fires right up though* and idles great

* So I was leaving Pittsburgh the other night on my way to bike night and I kept hearing this whirring noise. Def had not heard it before. I said screw it and kept riding and I got to the town where I was headed and still heard it, maybe 20 miles away. I hit the kill switch and the bike lurches forward because i bypassed all the safety switches The starter was stuck on the whole time. Of course I burned up the relay so I had to bump start it in the parking lot. Waiting on a new one to arrive.

Tossed on the new Emig triple clamps and the HDB handguards. Still need to wire up the LEDs in the handguards and also the switches. Sorry for the wiring mess but I'm in the middle of cleaning it up. The Red switch is the new starter switch, the black to the right is the kill switch

I was thinking at first that the damper was more of a novelty/bling toy but the more I ride the bike the more I think it needs it. When you are in full acceleration boogie mode the front end is *just* kissing the ground and the bars get all light, I think having the damper dialed in would really help eliminate this.

Nessmuk
Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #310
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Got the new starter relay after frying the original with a stuck starter switch. I also replaced the entire kill/start switch using the nice switched provided with the HDB ADV top plate I ordered. The black one is a on/off or the kill switch, the red is a momentary for the starter. Works awesome.

I was havi...OK let me just say I hate jetting, I was having some jetting issues. Lots of loud popping on decel, flat spot at 1/4 throttle.

I did say I hate jetting right?

So I decided to screw around before getting a dyno involved. I backed the fuel screws out 2 turns, stock is 1.5. I also raised the needles about a half clip. These needles don't have clips so I used washers I think they were around 0.5 mm.

Bike runs terrible now, I think I made it worse

Starts on the choke with a lot of starter now. There is gas vapor visible out the exhaust when you try and start it. It will finally start, on choke, dies if you even look at the throttle. If you close the choke, it doesn't want to stay running.

That's the good news. The bad news is that now the flat spot is literally dead. It will run okay idle up to maybe 1/8 throttle, then it hits a wall. Bike dies, like it ran out of gas, keep twisting throttle to get to main jet and it screams.

Remember I hate jetting? Anyone want to take a stab? I think the bike is still running lean on the pilot due to popping on decel. I think the fuel screws need to go back in as it is just clouds of gas vapor on start. I think the main is close enough, I mean it rips on top. So that leaves the needle...

I'll admit I'm guessing here.

Hate jetting

Nessmuk
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #311
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Well I took the semi easy route.

Since I have 2 bikes that can benefit, I bought a Innovate Motorsports LM2 wideband AFR meter that also data logs. *I spoke to Innovate and this was exactly the kit they recommend, especially since I have multiple bikes.

The guy explained it like this. *Weld in the bung, screw in the O2 sensor. *Hook up the analog wires to TPS sensor if I want (which I think could be really useful), tach output (splice in) put the *SD memory card in the handheld meter, plug the power into 12v cig, toss the meter in a backpack or ziptie to handlebars and go ride. *It will datalog all the relevant information during the ride, I can come back, download to my laptop and see where the fuel ratio is at all rpms and throttle positions.

As I have never done this before, I imagine that there will be some learning curve, as well as some jetting purchases to correct the problems that I find. *I could easily see spending hours and weeks trial and erroring this bike, or I can go for a short ride, come home and look at the data and make a more informed decision.

I obviously still need to understand what's going on, which I sorta do/don't, but asking for jetting advice without some real numbers, rpms, throttle positions etc, is just educated guessing. I know there are some guys who are really good with carbs here and if I can give the info that the datalogging shows, hopefully will lead to some better jetting recommendations from yinz.

I'm pumped for this tool, I think it will be really cool to try.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

Nessmuk
Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #312
TerraRoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
now thats a good idea.

check your pipe sealing btw, can pop on deaccel from air leaks as well as lean jetting.
TerraRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #313
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
I cheaped out and bought the dash mounted version of that. It's a fair bit cheaper but doesn't hook up to the tps or tach.

It's great to be able to see what's actually happening instead of guessing.

Makes jetting much easier
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #314
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
The guy explained it like this. *Weld in the bung, screw in the O2 sensor. *Hook up the analog wires to TPS sensor if I want (which I think could be really useful), tach output (splice in) put the *SD memory card in the handheld meter, plug the power into 12v cig, toss the meter in a backpack or ziptie to handlebars and go ride. *It will datalog all the relevant information during the ride, I can come back, download to my laptop and see where the fuel ratio is at all rpms and throttle positions.
If I may ask, how are the TPS and RPM signals intercepted?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #315
sailah OP
Lampin' it

As I understand it, there is a cable with 5-6 wires that you attach various sensors to either like a tach output, tps signal, boost pressure, water temp, egt etc. you configure what each wire does when you set it up. It's the main reason I bought it over the gauge. That and the tech I spoke to said it's designed to go between bikes. I had to buy the analog cable separately as well a another bung for the ss fz1 exhaust.

It also has the ability to read multiple o2 sensors but I think just one is sufficient

Hopefully it's as easy as it sounds.

Nessmuk