Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #316
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,462
I was considering one of these units. As you imply, they are much more cost-effective if you can use them on multiple bikes.

I'm very interested in hearing a detailed account of your experiences with it.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #317
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I was considering one of these units. As you imply, they are much more cost-effective if you can use them on multiple bikes.

I'm very interested in hearing a detailed account of your experiences with it.
I'll give you my feedback if you give me feedback on jetting

Hope to at least try it this weekend

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #318
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Just ordered a DynoJet Stage 1 kit just for the needles. Also came across this page which seems like a very reasonable method to go about the tuning process using the new meter

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html

Nessmuk
Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #319
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

This is a pretty good source of information:

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf

The real key to tuning is to understand how the engine feels under certain jetting conditions. For example, if it surges while cruising, it's lean. If it stumble when accelerating, it's rich.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #320
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks al.

Got the meter. It's a lot more complicated than I thought. Lots of math my eyes glazed over quickly reading the manual. I did succeed in calibrating the o2 sensor, hooking up the tps leads to the meter and calibrating that.

I have the meter hooked to my laptop and when I twist the throttle the tps gauge reads out throttle % and corresponding voltage. I spliced into the harness and made a permanent pigtail with waterproof spade connectors so I can quickly hook it up again. Here you can see I am about 40% throttle or 1.91V. I set the gauge to read 0 when it actually is getting a resting voltage of about 0.49V. Works great.

Need to get the rpms hooked up which should be simple and weld the bung in.

The analog cable has a 14 pin connector which is a little touchy. I was getting frustrated that I wasn't registering voltage on the laptop when I was on the cable. If the analog cable is drooped at all it loses connection. Probably need to return the cable

Looks promising so far!!

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 05:03 PM
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #321
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Got the rpm trigger connected and also wired in a SAE connector to power the unit while riding as well as battery tender

I'm not totally sold on the quality of this unit. The connectors are flimsy and lose connection easily. I was chasing the TPS voltage dropping out and it was simply the analog connector. The O2 sensor also dropped out. Maybe I got a bad unit. I'll give it a whirl as it is, but I think that the unit needs to get swapped.

Nessmuk
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #322
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
I started looking into these after you said you were getting one. It looks like such a cool thing. If you aren't that happy with the innovate one, there's a canadian company 14point7.com that makes something similar.

Here's a link to a guy using it with his megasquirt and got the one that you have to put together but they sell a complete one.

Now I want one. Keep up the good works.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #323
sailah OP
Lampin' it

So apparently the last moron who worked on these carbs forgot to tighten the carb boots. Idiots all around me And I wonder why it ran like crap.

Got the jet kit installed which included drilling the slides, I put in 140 142 142 140 mains needles on 3rd clip, new springs. I also said goodbye forever to those crap phillips carb bowl screws and replaced them with some stainless socket cap screws.

Other than jetting I also machined up a custom damper post mount that I welded to to the steering stem. Works well.

I need to get the bike back together and go for a ride now that I have the AFR unit hooked up. Maybe later tomorrow, have to pick up my new dirt bike tomorrow morning.

Nessmuk
Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #324
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I also said goodbye forever to those crap phillips carb bowl screws and replaced them with some stainless socket cap screws.
Good on ya, Lad! A man after my own heart. I just went down to the local industrial screw place and bought a baggie of 100 for $8 and replace ALL of those damn screws.

Oh, and the first rule of tuning is make sure it's put together right!

Trust me, I learned that one the hard way when I was about 20 - I had a GS1000S (indexed to era/technology, possibly my favorite bike ever). The connector for the coil wire got oil and dirt on it, and went intermittent. It behaved ***exactly*** like a jetting problem, i.e. certain behaviors at certain RPM. Turned out that the connector was jiggling different ways at different RPM. Took months of frustration to figure out WTF was happening.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #325
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Yeah those screws day were numbered. I had them off a week ago and they were a bitch to get off. I ended up having to use vise grips to get a few out.

While searching for jetting kits I ran across a thread where someone suggested doing that AND gave the dimensions. i had an open order with McMaster Carr (which is the greatest store ever in my humble opinion) and I think a bag of 100 was about $6.

I'm excited to try it today knowing that the jetting could have been fine but without the boots tight obviously is not going to run. Surprised it wasn't backfiring. My KTM 950 would launch a fireball and explode if the carb boots weren't tight

Pics and a report hopefully later today

Nessmuk
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #326
sailah OP
Lampin' it

no pics I didn't get around to it yesterday. Was picking up my new Husky TXC511 and swapping parts from my 2011.

I do have one pic I just took as I walked by the bike. I'm really getting tired of the bike looking like this, sigh.

Sad thing is I know exactly where every wire and connector goes. I could probably put that bike together blindfolded.

That is the nice thing about building your own bike. You are forced to become intimately involved with every single screw, every wire, you know before the bike coasts to a stop on the side of the road what is wrong. Course you also paid for that knowledge with scraped knuckles and 3 am nights working on your little beasty, a worthy trade in my opinion.

Nessmuk
Old 10-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #327
sailah OP
Lampin' it

OK so I made some good progress on the bike. I rode about 75 miles last weekend and the bike ran TERRIBLE. Bogging, wouldn't idle, gas vapor pouring out of the exhaust. Generally unrideable.

So I got the LM2 AFR meter, a Dynojet kit with adjustable needles and hooked it all up. When I went to take the carbs off for the 6547th time, I noticed the clamps were loose. Dammit.

I took the carbs off, replaced the parts with the parts from the Dynojet kit and set the adjustments to their recommended specs. Reinstalled the carbs and fired it up. Ran OK, wouldn't idle and somehow I unscrewed the idle adjuster. Carbs off again, reinstalled idle adjust, fired up right away and I took this video.

I have not road tested it, that's next. I plan to ride it with the meter strapped to the bars to see if I can sense what's wrong as well as datalog to get some history. I can tell you that it feels much stronger, revs very quickly. Obviously things are different on the road under load but so far I think I am def on the right track.

The dynojet kit recommends the fuel screws out 1/2 turn. Which is much less than factory. I had them out 2 turns last weekend which is why I was running so rich.

Nessmuk
Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #328
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oh and can I just say that after having a fuel injected dirtbike with a tuner, carbs blow

In 30 seconds with my JD jetting tuner on the Husky I can adjust everything from the handlebars without even taking my gloves off.

Nessmuk
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #329
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
They're fine when you get a working set to work with. Not so fine when they're utterly wrong! Good luck.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #330
bdjuju
Should be wrenching

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Oh and can I just say that after having a fuel injected dirtbike with a tuner, carbs blow

In 30 seconds with my JD jetting tuner on the Husky I can adjust everything from the handlebars without even taking my gloves off.
So, Mega/Microsquirt next year, then?
bdjuju is offline   Reply With Quote