Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #76
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
What about the mount looks weak specifically? I'm not one to underengineer a mount, but this mount is better thought out and stronger IMO than what I put on the FZ1. The crossbar will resist rotational forces applied by the lever arm and the diagonal to the frame will lock the arms in place. The only thing I see being an issue is the force vector of the arms is straight ahead rotating clockwise, the diagonal is off on an angle so the arms could buckle with extreme force applied which is why I put in the gusset.
The distance from the shock mount to the crosstube creates a large rotational force. I understand why you made it that way but the distance appears huge to me. Your premise that the longer and plush ride will reduce the forces is not accurate, gravity is a bitch. The diagonal brace offsets some of the force from the shock and vertical offset from the crosstube but it has also introduced a new moment that increases the force on the crosstube opposite the brace. Its not a large moment as the shock mount and brace are close together. An additional brace on the opposite side in tension would offset that moment. and provide addition force to counteract the moment on the crosstube.

Just my observation, nothing calculated or computed

I find that sketching the force vectors and a cold one help me understand whats happening.

Quote:
I'm not trying to disagree
This is a discussion
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #77
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,071
Made some good progress today.

Here's the exhaust. I bought a bunch of 1.25 tubing bends and 2-1 collectors. I plan on making a 4-2-1 exhaust out of stainless. Pretty pumped about it, I've never made a header before.

Made the front seat bolt. Used a gusset with a nut welded on the underside and then welded to a short piece of tubing that's welded to the crossbar. I plan on plating it to the shock mount for a little more stability.

Got the subframe fairly dialed in and started welding it solid. I plan on plating in the subframe for the tank so I'm holding off reinforcing it until I get that further along, I may find that I simply don't need the reinforcement or that the tank simply is rugged enough.

I welded the subframe enough that I could sit on it and bounce up and down. It's really hard to say how it feels as the sag in the rear is ridiculous with the spring. I put a jack under it and lifted the rear until the forks had 26-7 degrees rake and the seat height was 38". Going to be a big bike.

Due to the concerns over my shock mount, I ran a little experiment. I took a long ram 8 ton jack to the ceiling and compressed the bike down by the crossbar until it was "cased" front and rear. And then went a little further into the bumpstop pretty deep. Meanwhile I had a dial indicator on a mag base to measure movement of the mount. It moved maybe 0.002". I think I am going to leave the mount as is. I've never cased a bike in my life and I'm fairly certain that I won't be trying it on a 375# 600cc dirtbike.

That reminds me, I need to get this thing weighed at present. time to borrow another scale.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #78
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Made some good progress today.

Here's the exhaust. I bought a bunch of 1.25 tubing bends and 2-1 collectors. I plan on making a 4-2-1 exhaust out of stainless. Pretty pumped about it, I've never made a header before.
You could build them like my neighbor builds his for his pro hill climb bikes

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6098813_n.jpg
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #79
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,292
Quote:
Due to the concerns over my shock mount, I ran a little experiment. I took a long ram 8 ton jack to the ceiling and compressed the bike down by the crossbar until it was "cased" front and rear. And then went a little further into the bumpstop pretty deep.
Pics or it didn't happen
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #80
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Just for you, I'll rerig it. Zero deflection laterally, 0.002 inline.

Want to make it interesting?

Nessmuk
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #81
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Nessmuk
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #82
sailah OP
Lampin' it

weighed the bike as it sits:

I got 141 rear, 147 front.

Now here's what's not on the bike I can remember:

aluminum tank-5
battery-3 shorai li ion
radiator-5 fluid 2
wiring harness-2
controls-5
light-3
brakes-front rotor, caliper, lines, MC, rear caliper-8
front fender-1
rearsets and levers-5
exhaust can-2
chain-4
misc-10

I also have the stock heavy header and midpipe which is getting canned for a custom SS one, might shave a little off that.

40 lbs over the 290? That's pretty good even if I'm off by 20% extra.

anything I missed? I guessed on all the weights btw

EDIT:
frame/crash bars & skidplate-10

Nessmuk
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #83
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Looks good, man!!

What kind of ground clearance are you getting? My Bandit is around 18" under the sump and I've been thinking about doing a Buell style muffler underneath.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #84
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Looks good, man!!

What kind of ground clearance are you getting? My Bandit is around 18" under the sump and I've been thinking about doing a Buell style muffler underneath.
Not sure, guessing 12"?? Maybe more?

I thought about underslung exhaust but I'm going to challenge myself with a block hugger custom one and see if my thin metal tig skills are up to the task.

Nessmuk
Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #85
sailah OP
Lampin' it

No update for awhile I was a little burned out on working and in the shop.

Got the new battery. You would not believe how light this thing is. I went with a 9 ah racing battery, the stock was 9ah with 120 CCA, this has 135 CCA.

It weighs probably just over a pound. I hefted a pound of coffee and this battery and it was hard to tell the difference in weight. Plus its about 60% as big. Going to make packaging easy that's for sure. A stock battery weighs about 7 lbs.

It was $105 shipped so twice as expensive, but the weight savings is so easy to shave off a lead based battery. I have heard a few negatives about li ion batteries but I have a dedicated Li Ion charger and BMS from my flashlight hobby so I am willing to take a shot.

I've got new KTM 640 wheels arriving along with Ducati brakes, carbon fiber for body panels and fenders, and a bunch of other parts to hopefully get things rocking. My springs from Slavens should be finished by now I had to get the 0.59's custom made and I can get busy getting the forks tuned. Hopefully I can get close to my sag numbers with the shock spring I just bought, I really don't want to have to redo that.

Bent up one side of the frame spars. I realized after I started welding that I need to drop the motor out to finish welding. I hope I can drop it without too much trouble or at least enough to get a weld on the back of the tubes near the motor. The end of the spar I need to cut off and finish...

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 05:43 PM
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #86
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,331
Quote:

Got the new battery. You would not believe how light this thing is. I went with a 9 ah racing battery, the stock was 9ah with 120 CCA, this has 135 CCA.

It weighs probably just over a pound. I hefted a pound of coffee and this battery and it was hard to tell the difference in weight. Plus its about 60% as big. Going to make packaging easy that's for sure. A stock battery weighs about 7 lbs.

It was $105 shipped so twice as expensive, but the weight savings is so easy to shave off a lead based battery. I have heard a few negatives about li ion batteries but I have a dedicated Li Ion charger and BMS from my flashlight hobby so I am willing to take a shot.

I've got new KTM 640 wheels arriving along with Ducati brakes, carbon fiber for body panels and fenders, and a bunch of other parts to hopefully get things rocking. My springs from Slavens should be finished by now I had to get the 0.59's custom made and I can get busy getting the forks tuned. Hopefully I can get close to my sag numbers with the shock spring I just bought, I really don't want to have to redo that.

Bent up one side of the frame spars. I realized after I started welding that I need to drop the motor out to finish welding. I hope I can drop it without too much trouble or at least enough to get a weld on the back of the tubes near the motor. The end of the spar I need to cut off and finish...
Hey Sailah - I have just got one of those of the batteries for the Husky - can you reccomend a battery charger for it as all I have right now is the normal trickle type charger ?

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #87
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Hey Sailah - I have just got one of those of the batteries for the Husky - can you reccomend a battery charger for it as all I have right now is the normal trickle type charger ?

Cheers
Kev,

I have a hobby charger this one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

It works great. Does not come with a power supply but I just hacked an old laptop power supply. They also balance the cells in the pack. I don't know enough about these packs to say for sure but I think that they use the standard balance plugs you can get from hobbyking. You don't need to balance charge every time just once in awhile.

The charger will do every battery chemistry from li ion, nimh, nicd, pb etc, plus you can adjust the volts and current. They all look the same and seem to di the same on that site so I'd just get the turnigy one seems well liked for $23.

Nessmuk
Old 10-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #88
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:

Did you say drop the motor?

Out with the old, in with the new; what a mess. Now I have a spare 919 motor, I need an intervention or something...
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #89
sailah OP
Lampin' it

whatcha doin'?? EDIT: is that the Fireblade? Ha you do need an intervention. We should start our own 12 step program...

Here's a pic of my charger setup, charging my new battery. I've used this charger to charge everything from Li Ion cells in flashlights to lawn mower batteries. It's awesome and cheap but they need a power supply like the laptop one I use. Or they can run off 12v in the car because they are designed for R/C hobbyists to charge batteries in the field.

you can see the balance port of the battery near my finger and the corresponding one near my thumb on the charger. You'll need a 4S (these batteries are 4 in Series x 3.7V cells) balance plug, which goes to the one with 5 prongs.

Nessmuk
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #90
TerraRoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Loving this, been searching to try and find someone who has done this, just to see if it could be done.

as soon as i find some other bike to ride everyday my f2 will get the chop

i've a few questions, is the seat far enough forward? where will the pegs go? why did you chop up the frame to add that spar?

i'll be doing a stunt cage/bash plate similar to these but less wise and jutting a bit further forward to go around the exhaust

TerraRoot is offline   Reply With Quote