User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #76
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,263
How long?
I have done 20F rides, no heated gear, no windshield, but I do have a cold weather suit (its hot as hell!).

Sometimes I just have to go for a ride no matter what the weather.
Other times we only had one car and the wife worked, so it was walk or ride.

One year I did christmass shopping on the 69 Daytona, in 20F with stuff strapped all over the back seat.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #77
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,461
I have found that my comfortable limit is 47 or so. Below that, I'm wishing I had heavy gear on. I'd say my limit was lower than that in the past, and I have had many rides below that. They just sucked. With good gear, I did some touring in upstate NY and Canada in ~25F, and was fine. Was loving the heated grips though.

I only bought my first heated jacket (Gerbing) last year, and could kick myself for waiting that long. As long as there isn't ice on the ground I'm content. I've never even turned it up all the way, but it sure makes a huge difference. I even thought about adding gloves.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #78
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,711
As cold as it gets down here!
On a trip to Asheville, NC last year; it was 19 degrees when I left the house and not a hell of a lot warmer when I got there!

Froze my ass off BTW...
Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #79
spokedoc
Egregious

Oddometer: 7
Mid 20s often. The pics below are with the same riding buddy.

Red River NM in April. Rode about 20 miles like this to get to a place to stop.

The sign in the background reads "CAUTION, ICY CONDITIONS COULD EXIST". They need a sign?

North of Paris Texas in March. He is warming his hands on his exhaust pipe. We rode half all day in this.

spokedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #80
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,457
In December I had both my car and truck break down and decided to just ride (as the roads were free from salt and snow) and not get a Rental car. The morning that the temp hit 12 degrees had the strange effect of guiding my bike to Enterprise Rent a Car. In hindsight the 3 days I had the rental cost about the same as if I bought some heated gear.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #81
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,646
On my Ninja 250 I used to commute about 10 miles each way in 10*F temps. Basicly so long at there wasnt snow on the roads I rode that thing. Now that I have a KLX250, I dont know if the snow will be stopping me. The best piece of gear I ever bought was a FogEvader.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #82
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I rode to work once at 9 degrees .
Just did it on a whim to see how bad it would be.
At about 5 miles it got very painful.
I ride year round here in Pa. Never put the bike away
If its in the 40s and roads are clear I'll go ride . Might not go as far but i get my riding fix.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #83
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
I've ridden to work in the low 20s (F) before. I wasn't comfortable though. I dont have heated gear and my hands were freezing.... I held them down by the engine to warm up at stops.

There have been two times when I noticed it snowing at work, so I hopped on the bike and rode home before it got bad.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #84
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,075
I spent some time in freezing rain once. I was really glad I had heated grips, but not nearly as glad as I was to get to the hotel.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #85
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
14 degrees F was my record, but I'll never do that again.

Heated gear had to be set too high to fend off the cold, and I paid with some minor second degree burns on the top of one foot where the heated sock burned me (Through my liner sock). I had it hooked to the same controller as my jacket.

Apparently I needed much more heat on my upper body than I did on my feet.

I'll ride all the time in the 20's though; Its absolutely amazing what a difference 9 or 10 degrees makes.

I don't like using my headed grips because I've found that I grip the bars too hard which in the past has given me bouts of Angry Carpal Tunnel. So I use either my Gerbings gloves or Powerlet liners.

Oscar Wilde
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #86
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #87
phuphuphnik
PbarMasher

Oddometer: 34
ah, if I only had the cash for electric gear. I haven't had a car in 9 years. The coldest I've been out is the -20 a couple years ago in Chicago. I bundle up, a Sportsmans Guide ice suit, and a big Russian overcoat. Lots of wool inside and out. The neoprene knees on the suit are great for breaking wind.
chriso
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #88
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuphuphnik View Post
ah, if I only had the cash for electric gear. I haven't had a car in 9 years. The coldest I've been out is the -20 a couple years ago in Chicago. I bundle up, a Sportsmans Guide ice suit, and a big Russian overcoat. Lots of wool inside and out. The neoprene knees on the suit are great for breaking wind.
chriso
I dont use heated gear either .Ive just got a thing against wires and gagets.
I wear an olympia suit with sweats underneath and if its too cold for that I dont need to be out there.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #89
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 466
My temperature threshold has always pretty much matched my age. In my 'teens, there was virtually no such thing as "too cold" ...

... and now I do not even think about actually going out on the bike when the temp is below 60!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #90
NOhio
n00b

Oddometer: 5
4 Degrees F was about the coldest I've been in, 25 miles or so. The problem was trying to kick start the ole DR350S ! After about half an hour and 40 kicks (this was after 10 minutes trying to get my key into the ignition and turn it on, finally used a lighter) I had a nice layer of sweat built up and that seemed to fog my old Shoei helmet horribly, which instantly turned to ice. My cold weather gear was flannel lined jeans, sweatshirt, leather jacket all under a hunters camo 0 degree one piece field suit with matching Red Head gloves and a balaclava. Smart wool socks in the boots. I ride year round and this inexpensive setup has always kept me comfortable.

The coldest I've ever been was taking a early morning trip to El Centro from San Diego back in the 80's.
The leather gloves, jacket and jeans setup was just not up to the task. By the time I got to where I was going I could barely move. Seemed like the bone-chill I had lasted for days.

NOhio screwed with this post 10-19-2011 at 09:34 AM
NOhio is offline   Reply With Quote