Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Oddometer: 540
I haven't tried that yet and I don't think will be effective as I rode the bike for 6k since I had it flooded . My only hope is to replace the head or rebuild the old one . I have all the parts for it and I believe this upcoming week will be fixed since I got all the parts . Will see what happens if not I will just swap a newer engine in it -have that too . Thanks for your advice .

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittleman View Post
I'm sure you got the oil thing figured out, but you can put diesel in the crankcase, run the engine for about thirty seconds and then drain, repeat about 10 times.... should get most of the crap out of your engine... I did that with my dirtbike when I took it swimming one day. :)
f650gsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
kion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Ha ha ha ha!!! The Warloop Rd is probably the highlight of the eastern TAT. Short section but for sure the most difficult I've been trough with my GS. I almost bottomed out the front suspension few times, even with Yamaha front end. Dropped it couple time but there was no way back
kion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

TAT Oklahoma 2011

TAT Oklahoma 2011

From what I was told and seen I expected Oklahoma to be a very boring state . I was wrong and I enjoyed very much . I can't say the same thing about the last 200 miles of it that is nothing but farm land
with a distinctive smell of livestock . So I skipped sections of it just because it's boring . The roads were good except when wet and that mud tends to be very sticky and once it dries acts just like a shield overheating the engine . But the biggest and scariest encounter was with a forming TORNADO near Medford where in fact we took cover at the public school until the storm calmed down . There were bunch of locals there that were also taking cover as they don't have basements in their home . SCARY !!!

heeding towards the tornado

At this point things were getting to serious and cars were flying by including several emergency vehicles . We pulled over for a minute next to some locals and we were told to head back to Medford and take cover at the Public School . Looking at the sky we clearly saw how the twister get's it's shape . Clouds were moving in a circle pattern at a very fast speed and everything was very dark colored . Unfortunately wasn't too much time for pics , not willing to take chances !

after the storm

Next day after the storm/tornado delay

By this time KION , my riding buddy, developed a eye irritation from all the dust/dry air so we took a side trip to Liberal KS to eat , gas up and find a pharmacy . Apparently he had this eyes problems before and without rest and being indoor will not heal so he made up his mind and decided that his trip will be over and will ride home . Besides that he had some unsolved business at home . It's nothing that I can do so I have to ride alone for another week . I just have to be more careful as the trip becomes progressively tougher and make sure I don't get hurt . I've been trough this situations before and all went well so I am confident that I will be OK .
Once we left on separate ways I realized that Oklahoma is getting more and more boring so rather that waste any time I skipped some of the roads and by the end of the day I made it to LaVeta Colorado .

one last pic of Oklahoma - New Mexico here I come

f650gsa screwed with this post 10-06-2011 at 10:03 AM
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

TAT New Mexico 2011

TAT New Mexico 2011

It's almost like you enter a different world and it's where you realize that what you done so far on TAT was almost useless . I just think that this part of TAT should be remapped and made bigger .

can't remember the road name but for sure it was bumpy

Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
hoflix
quiet rider

Oddometer: 19
Thumb super-tare frate!

Those are some cool-ass pictures! And a very good ride report, as always. Now what? Don't keep us waiting....
hoflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Ideea este ca sa iti cumperi si tu un enduro !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoflix View Post
Those are some cool-ass pictures! And a very good ride report, as always. Now what? Don't keep us waiting....
Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #22
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

KION accident on I55

KION accident on I55

While I am having a blast trough Colorado , KION has an accident on I55 on his way home to Chicago . Fortunately his OK and in great shape , the bike is OK except his gear that is trashed . Those uneven lanes on road construction can be deadly so BE AWARE !!!!
Thanks God !!!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Fantastic RR...Hope to finish the Eastern TAT..>>...when I bailed last July. Thanks for the Tenn memories. Ride Safe ride far!!
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #24
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,895
Atgatt!

Thank goodness he was suited up! That gear just paid for itself 100 times over. Glad he wasn't hurt. Does he have a pic of his helmet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f650gsa View Post
KION accident on I55

While I am having a blast trough Colorado , KION has an accident on I55 on his way home to Chicago . Fortunately his OK and in great shape , the bike is OK except his gear that is trashed . Those uneven lanes on road construction can be deadly so BE AWARE !!!!
Thanks God !!!

Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle

Airhead #14449

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #25
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

The helmet is still in one piece with no damage and indeed that gear paid for itself .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
Thank goodness he was suited up! That gear just paid for itself 100 times over. Glad he wasn't hurt. Does he have a pic of his helmet?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,526
thanks for sharing your ride. I looked on the Touratech site for the front end, but couldnt find it.. Looks cool.

greg
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #27
kion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post

[/QUOTE]
YES, my REV'IT! Cayenne Pro suite is totaled I would say, indeed paid for itself and saved my butt.Maybe I can use the jacket on a hot day for some offroad riding, now being better ventilated :P. Besides a broken mirror (fixed already) and a rashed Barkbuster, the bike is OK. Left saddlebag - trashed aling w/ bottle holster and fuel bottle (empty at that time). Already got in touch w/ Wolfman and was able to purchase just one bag at a great price-outstanding service. Helmet? "I don't know where my head was" but is untouched. And me, couple bruises and a sore butt for couple of days thats all.
After I went down , I lifted up the bike , back in the saddle and rode another 250 miles to get home.
kion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #28
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

It's no longer available and when it was I believe TT sold it for about $3k . Not cheap !

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
thanks for sharing your ride. I looked on the Touratech site for the front end, but couldnt find it.. Looks cool.

greg
Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

TAT Colorado 2011

TAT Colorado 2011

La Veta to Salida

This has been a good day with a side trip to Pueblo to get a new rear tire than from there straight to my friends house in Salida . Unfortunately I skipped about 30 miles of TAT and I hope I didn't miss anything spectacular .

Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #30
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

TAT Colorado 2011

TAT Colorado 2011

Salida to Lake City

The plan for today was to have than new tire installed then ride as far West as possible . Got up around 7am and worked on the rear tire and discovered that I had a blown bearing on my sprocket carrier . Not much to fix at it but fill it up with grease that my friend Bill provided . Just to make the morning more interesting I had a rough time mounting the new tire so I damaged the bed on it that proved to be disastrous as you will see shortly .

at my friends place in Salida

Hey Bill

By the way as we speak Bill is building few cabins on his property available for rent in case you guys want to stop by . The scenery/view is amazing and Bill is a great guy . Thank You !

Five miles from Bill's place the bike starts to shake like hell just as my front wheel is badly bent . I stood up , looked at it and it looked straight then the unexpected -my rear tire blew up at 55 miles and hour . I pulled over and took it apart once again , to realize that the bead/rim of the tire snapped . Brand new spanking tire destroyed and now in need of another one . Downtown Salida is only 3 miles and since I kept the old tire I mounted on then rode in town where I found a used Sahara at the local dealership . While working on the flat tire I had several people stooping by asking if I need any help including few ADV members - houndawgg from New Jerxey and bierski with his wife nocluelulu from Denver .

3 miles from Salida -FLAT

video of the flat repair taken by HOUNDDAWGG - no clue how to embed it

link to it http://www.youtube.com/user/houndawg.../2/O-usD6DksEg

found a used tire at the local dealership in Salida

finally on my way to Marshall Pass

LosPinos Pass

Made it to Lake City and that rear used tire that I got is not bad at all - very good traction on it and it's a a size bigger too .

f650gsa screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 01:51 PM