User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Oddometer: 581
Lucy lost a little weight with the help of Boxer Metal

This past weekend I had a chance to be in SF just in time to swoop up a great bike for an amazing price. All because I was on the Nor Cal airheads mailing list. Paid for my membership for sure!

A 1992 R100R I'm calling Lucy.
She came like this, with a parabellum, tank bag, gps and bags. These were the first items to get the ax.

Next went the goofy rear rack and signal hangers made of plastic. But last night the real work began. With the help of Chris, and his awesome wife Rebecca, from Boxer Metal, I was able to trim some unneeded weight from the bike.

Just a start, but I am loving the quick progress. It'll be a great opportunity to prototype a bunch of Boxer Metal's new products. I will update as the liposuction continues.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle

KhaoSanMan screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 08:03 PM
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
If you're looking to lose weight, you might wanna check this out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=456

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Thumb

...ooohhh...now I see...you just got the bike.
Ignore my post in the OSFM.
Congrates!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
If you're looking to lose weight, you might wanna check this out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=456

Great info Airhead Wrangler! Very well presented. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going for lower overall weight, but it's not my total focus. I will admit, the cool and fun factor is a big part of this. I'm just stoked that I can now stick my arm through the gaping hole where the airbox used to live.

@Rapid Dog, thanks for the interest, but you see where this is going. On that note however, after getting this R, I have heard of two other guys that picked up R's for a steal like me. Not trying to brag, but I got this with all the extras including another seat, for $1500. Keep up the search, and let me know if I can help.

KhaoSanMan screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 10:44 AM
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,791
Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Braggadacio

Quote:
...Got this will all the extras including another seat, for $1500...
Oh man, I hate and love you...that's my next airhead, but I want der black frame...for $1500!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Oh man, I hate and love you...that's my next airhead, but I want der black frame...for $1500!
Yeah from the photos of the bike and elsewhere online I thought that the silver frame would be a cool feature to have. I just want this bike to be visually interesting and unique, and I thought that the painted frame would go a long way towards that. My thought was that the silver on the R would save me time/effort by not having to strip the frame to get it to be something other than black.

Having lived with it for a week now, I'm not so sure I like it. The touch up paint I bought doesn't match, and the overall look is "cheap", not "cool." I am trying to think of another color I would want, as I think it would be cool to have non-black. I am even considering making it like the sheck enduro bikes with the blue frames and yellow accents, once I buy the aluminum tank from Chris.

Up next is a new exhaust cause this one is butt ugly. I think it's very similar to what they used on the K1. It sounds OK, and with the K&N's it sounds even better, but it just looks like a badondadonk butt on the back of this bike. Chris has a Luftmeister exhaust hanging in the shop that I plan to buy and we will fab a hanger for it. Hopefully we can accomplish this this weekend.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,791
I'm kinda partial to white or red frames.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
When you remove the stock tubes from carbs to stock air filter housing, you remove the rear support of the carbs. Than can lead to loose or cracked intake ports. Devise a bracket to support the carbs at the rear. Your Boxer Metal guy just might have some or fab up something for that.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktort View Post
when you remove the stock tubes from carbs to stock air filter housing, you remove the rear support of the carbs. Than can lead to loose or cracked intake ports. Devise a bracket to support the carbs at the rear. Your boxer metal guy just might have some or fab up something for that.
+1

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Good advice Doc. I'll look into that and see if I can find a way to solve that issue. Maybe a piece coming off from the airbox/transmission bolts.

Yesterday I flushed most of the fluids. Dropped the pan to take a look and was not so happy with what I found...

I kinda want to ignore it for now since she runs well. Thoughts?

KhaoSanMan screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 08:02 PM
Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,834
I have never heard of or seen carb spigots cracking. I have seen them come loose but they do that ALL the time with the stock airbox setup.

Typically I think they run a lot better with the stock airbox setup. They sometimes look better IMO as well but not always.

What did you do with the crank breather?

I can't tell what that black stuff is in the photo. Rubber? Silicon?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
KhaoSanMan OP
Airhead

Hey SS. The breather will get a filter once the cover plate is installed. I think I will at least try to come up with a bracket for the carbs. Could look cool.

The black stuff was softer than metal. Maybe plastic or gasket sealant. Not sure. I should have pulled the filter but I was lazy, so I will inspect again in a month or so. It could be rubber from that.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
I stopped by the shop this afternoon and finally met the owner of Lucy. lots of different projects going at the same time. it all looks like fun. getting near time to add my /5 to the mix. good to meet ya finally, Jan
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,834
It petty much has to be either rubber torn from the pushrod seals or gasket sealant.

Be forewarned about crankcase breather setups. So far from what I have seen, 99% of all breather crankcase breather setups I have seen photoed on the net were JUST assembled and obviously not tested by very many miles. Most of them in my experience would eventually make an oily mess out of the top of the tranny and the back half of the bike including the rear tire!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote