Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #31
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
why would you need to shim out the racks???? I've said 3x that the racks are ALREADY shimmed out. If you have a top rack with wider mounts, then you use thinner spacers. No need to add more spacers or washers.

I had to solder in extensions to my turn signal wires and didn't finish tonight. Pics in the morning.
i hear ya. i'm sure i'm just talkin' out my a$$.
the rear bbq rack has a nice big fat rear mount but i guess that's accommodated for. i've looked at your pics and i think i see a big fat spacer in that area, that would be removed for the bbq rack rear mount. pics are fuzzy in places. thanks for the followup.

from what you say these racks have a baseline rear width that works with the cross brace and you pick the correct spacers on the front mounts to achieve that.

when you have it all together could you please take some pics focusing on how all the mounts looks. thanks!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #32
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,260
yes, I think you're getting it now.

I just need to ziptie my turnsignal cords in place and can roll her into the street for some better pictures.

and fit some coffee drinking in there somewhere too
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #33
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

a little humble pie - maybe. The left side (clutch side) does not call for a spacer on the instructions. Mine liked a spacer but that's because I have that other top rack and additional washer squeezed in at the front mount point. The other three points have a spacer.

I was told that the other top racks like you mentioned Bill, should fit on the outboard side of the Wolfman mount bracket. The bracket actually tucks up underneath the fender to attach to the frame. Any top rack that drops down from the top usually requires a spacer to accommodate for the fender and the Wolfman mount point would handle this.

Keep an eye on the Vendor Forum for more information.

SO - more on my installation......

I picked the smaller ammo cans so as to maintain SOME slimness of the bike. $20/ea plus $10/ea for hardware.

I fabricated my own bracket to move the turn signals. Not sure that I'm in love with it yet but it will do the job for now. I did have to extend my wiring a bit to use that location. I was under the impression that when using the Wolfman light bracket and location that there should be sufficient length in the OEM cord to reach. I'm considering picking up LEDs and integrating them into the cases (giving me additional running and brake light visibility too).

These things are so rigid, I wouldn't think twice about standing on them to change light bulbs in the garage

There are additional pictures in my album and some better ones of the mounting points than what I provided earlier
http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/a...anier%20racks/

TinkerinWstuff screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 12:07 PM
Old 10-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #34
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,186
Looks great Dave Thanks for sharing
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #35
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,352
Top Rack ??

Yes ...
Thanks for sharing the pictures TinkerinWstuff ....

Hey D-Train ...
What is the time frame for your DR650SE Top Rack ??

Thanks ...
'12 NC700X
GsVs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

thanks!

"I was told that the other top racks like you mentioned Bill, should fit on the outboard side of the Wolfman mount bracket. The bracket actually tucks up underneath the fender to attach to the frame. Any top rack that drops down from the top usually requires a spacer to accommodate for the fender and the Wolfman mount point would handle this."

are you saying that the rack should ideally be the first to mount against the bike and then other racks outside of this? that is not gonna work with racks like the bbq rack as the tubular supports are ddesigned to sit in 1 place with no room to splay outwards. even the pat walsh rack wash bend to sit in 1 specific place. seems to me the wolfman rack should be the outboard mount w/ spacers used to get the mount surfaces to fit flat and then bolt up.

why did you add nuts as spacers between the boxes and the rack?
it seems that mounting the boxes flat against the rack and bolting through those round holes would be the strongest.

i really like how those racks have those mount holes so you can permanently bolt any box up there and call it a day if you want. it gives you the ability to mount side boxes in any location along the back that works for you.

imo, these racks and rogers 1520s http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000064 bolted on would make an ideal touring (hard box) setup

eakins screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 11:40 AM
Old 10-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #37
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
Yes ...
Thanks for sharing the pictures TinkerinWstuff ....

Hey D-Train ...
What is the time frame for your DR650SE Top Rack ??

Thanks ...
dr top rack?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #38
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
dr top rack?
GsVs and eakins...yes we are finishing one up now and I don't have a completion date yet...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #39
wolfmanluggage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
DR 650 Gen 2 Racks on site

Hi guys, Heads up the DR650 Generation 2 (Gen 2) racks are on live and on the site.

www.wolfmanluggage.com

Eric/Wolfy
wolfmanluggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #40
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
are you saying that the rack should ideally be the first to mount against the bike and then other racks outside of this? that is not gonna work with racks like the bbq rack as the tubular supports are ddesigned to sit in 1 place with no room to splay outwards. even the pat walsh rack wash bend to sit in 1 specific place. seems to me the wolfman rack should be the outboard mount w/ spacers used to get the mount surfaces to fit flat and then bolt up.
That's what I was told, but only for that 1 mounting location. I have no involvement with the design or familiarity with the racks you speak of so I don't want to speak out of turn. Just one of the first consumers and made a call to ask on your behalf. I was told more information would come.

Quote:
why did you add nuts as spacers between the boxes and the rack?
it seems that mounting the boxes flat against the rack and bolting through those round holes would be the strongest.
The boxes have a stiffener spotwelded on the outboard side from corner to corner. The stiffener sticks out .250". The mount holes on the racks are not completely flush with the outboard surface of the rack and are centered on the tube. This means the flange (with mount holes) is about .125" back from flush. So the stacked nuts make up about 1/2" of spacing and are extremely rigid. Because of the spacers I used, I'm able to torque the nuts down (referring to the ones being used to attach, not the ones used as spacers) as hard as I want with no concerns about them working loose, bending the mounting flange, or tweaking the case out of shape.

I test rode 300miles yesterday, about 80% or so being dirt. Washboard, jarring rocks etc.... She's bulletproof and I have no complaints.

FYI - I do have an aftermarket rear spring that's about 30% stiffer than OEM. The ammo cans aren't exactly featherweight and I doubt I'd be happy on stock springs. Without the cans I wasn't happy with OEM and bottomed out regularly anyway so likely a moot point.

if body language says anything, I'm not sure that Carlos approves however:
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #41
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,177
Shit. Wish I had known these were coming. Just bought the old models a few months ago and haven't had a chance to really use them yet. Oh well.

Definitely a nice upgrade in terms of the robustness (although the old style is still stronger than many of the competitor's products).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanluggage View Post
Hi guys, Heads up the DR650 Generation 2 (Gen 2) racks are on live and on the site.

www.wolfmanluggage.com

Eric/Wolfy

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #42
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
GsVs and eakins...yes we are finishing one up now and I don't have a completion date yet...

Edit: nevermind...found it!
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #43
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,282
Top Case?

Hey guys, I have the new gen Wolfman racks and a Pat Walsh tail rack and am thinking about adding a hard top case - any recommendations? It would be nice to be able to remove it fairly easy, and lock up any electronics I use while it's still on the bike.
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #44
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,097
Seahorse makes a nice case...sorta like a Pelican, but lighter and cheaper.

foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #45
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,763
Yep, Seahorse 520, tough and waterproof, and like 37 bucks. It's a wonder you don't see more of them.

I use the Suzuki factory "luggage" rack with my little homemade plate bolted to it, along with Wolfman Gen II sideracks.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote