Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #61
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
Good point on the magic button vs kickstarter. I decided that new battery technology ie lightweight batteries would eliminate this problem. take 2 batteries each, which would still weigh less than a standard battery, then everybody has a backup...

I agree that a tw200 would be great in the muck! keep it coming...
Jason
I have been using a Shorai Battery (lithium) in MyXRL. it cranks hard and forever. And it weighs about 1.5 lbs vs 6+ for my XRL battery

http://www.shoraipower.com/

KLR 250's have kickstart......not sold as new though

Bikes can always be push started.

I'm sure I can borrow one for free.....maybe two. Lots of waterskiiers here not using their drysuits
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #62
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Toporama

Here's a cool site I use for topo info

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/englis...6667&map_layer[northarrow]_class[0]_style[0]=ANGLE%2028.55424050203095&mapsize=750%20666&urlappend=

Zoom in anywhere and get datails, save maps, make measurements. It shows Camp Canol and the trail leading out towards the southwest corner if you've zoomed into a map scale of 40000 (trail also shows up on the 100,000 scale), find Dodo Canyon and Dodo Mountain and that's where the trail on the map begins. It looks like we'd need quite a few.

I'm thinking GPS with topo on it plus 4 or 5 of the bigger maps on paper.

It has been confirmed that I for sure have access to one drysuit

El Birdo screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 09:20 AM
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #63
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
I got some fuel consumption numbers from the people in the giant wr250r thread: worst numbers I got were 42-43mpg, 40mpg, 55mpg, and 46mpg, 51mpg, 65mpg.

I will post on the other threads for the sherpa, tw200 and maybe the klx250s. If anybody has this info please post it here, thanks.

Jason

windquest screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 11:26 AM
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #64
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I got some fuel consumption numbers from the people in the giant wr250r thread: worst numbers I got were 42-43mpg, 40mpg, 55mpg, and 46mpg.

I will post on the other threads for the sherpa, tw200 and maybe the klx250s. If anybody has this info please post it here, thanks.

Jason
Are these numbers with or with out gear?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #65
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo View Post
Are these numbers with or with out gear?
They varied. Some bikes were heavily modified all had varying degrees of gear. The 46mpg came from a fully loaded bike that rode across Australian desert loaded with extra fuel... I think it would be reasonable to calculate a maximum consumption around 43-46mpg
Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #66
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Here's a cool site I use for topo info

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/englis...6667&map_layer[northarrow]_class[0]_style[0]=ANGLE%2028.55424050203095&mapsize=750%20666&urlappend=

Zoom in anywhere and get datails, save maps, make measurements. It shows Camp Canol and the trail leading out towards the southwest corner if you've zoomed into a map scale of 40000 (trail also shows up on the 100,000 scale), find Dodo Canyon and Dodo Mountain and that's where the trail on the map begins. It looks like we'd need quite a few.

I'm thinking GPS with topo on it plus 4 or 5 of the bigger maps on paper.

It has been confirmed that I for sure have access to one drysuit
Robin, I followed the trail from Dodo-Macmillan Pass.... one word: EPIC
There are numerous places that the trail just disappears on the map, I can only imagine what its really like out there...
Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #67
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Robin, I followed the trail from Dodo-Macmillan Pass.... one word: EPIC
There are numerous places that the trail just disappears on the map, I can only imagine what its really like out there...
Zoom in a bit more the trail is there. I noticed some really tight valleys I bet its spectacular in there. It looks like there's a bit of a cliff east of Carcajou.

We can only imagine
Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #68
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

I couldn't sleep this morning so I was up early doing some research.

Looks like most of the bikes in consideration can fit an bigger tank, with the KLX and WR at 3.7 gal. NO tank for the sherpa.

I came across some flexible fuel bladders here.... http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=1344 looks like an option.

Reading some reviews looks like the TW200 is lacking quite a bit of power on the highway when loaded with gear. Some guys are switching to the XT250 for more highway power.....which hasn't been mentioned yet.

I think I'll have a nap now
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #69
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I couldn't sleep this morning so I was up early doing some research.

Looks like most of the bikes in consideration can fit an bigger tank, with the KLX and WR at 3.7 gal. NO tank for the sherpa.

I came across some flexible fuel bladders here.... http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=1344 looks like an option.

Reading some reviews looks like the TW200 is lacking quite a bit of power on the highway when loaded with gear. Some guys are switching to the XT250 for more highway power.....which hasn't been mentioned yet.

I think I'll have a nap now
You are right about the Sherpa tank, however I did hear that some Aussies managed to fit that huge safari tank for the dr650 on it. I think it was around 7 gallons. The wr250r now has tanks up to 4.8 gallons made by IMS plus many inmates have fitted the 2 gallon Rotopax to the side opposite of the exhaust and another 1-2 gallons can be mounted to the rear fender via 1 gallon Rotopax containers(total: 8.8gallons).

I forgot to include the xt250, only problem with that bike and other like the tw200 or Sherpa is no big tanks are made for it and their suspension department is rather lacking. At least with the tw200 there was an advantage in the bogs.

Maybe I am biased but the more I think about it the more sense it makes to use the wr...
Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #70
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

I am not biased and I was thinking the WR to be the winner
Old 10-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #71
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,311
if you can street tag a wr250f, acerbis made 6 gal tanks for '06 and earlier, check the yrs.
E start and kick, a fair amount lighter then a wr250R

maybe you are planning this, but I"d cork the exhaust, air filter, pinch all vent tubes, crank , tank etc..for water crossings,

more likely the exhaust pump heat will expand the tube, shrinking once it hits cold water. so a hand pump will cure this, but you'll find this out on the test run or already thought of it,

ever consider this to cross the rivers, including riders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYquDDvA8U
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6mV9g5vJE
or man style.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGNF...eature=related
Old 10-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #72
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile View Post
if you can street tag a wr250f, acerbis made 6 gal tanks for '06 and earlier, check the yrs.
E start and kick, a fair amount lighter then a wr250R
At first I had considered using an offroad plated bike. The problem with that came down to fuel consumption and durability. The WR250F has large tanks made for it but it is not nearly as efficient as the WR250R when it comes to fuel consumption. In the end we would end up having to pack more fuel which would minimize the weight difference. Also that bike and others were not mean for a load on the rear subframe. wheras the WR250R was designed for a load of about 420lb inlcuding rider and gear on the subframe. Basically we dont have to worry about it breaking as we wont be carrying that much weight, but still considerably more than I would be comfortable putting on a WR250F. The thing that finally did that it in for me was the distance that will be covered on this trip: about 5500km. The WR250R would not require an oil change or valve check during the entire trip which I can't do on an offroad bike. In the end the weigh savings just isn't worth the risk...

Funny videos from you tube!

Jason
Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #73
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile View Post

more likely the exhaust pump heat will expand the tube, shrinking once it hits cold water. so a hand pump will cure this, but you'll find this out on the test run or already thought of it,

ever consider this to cross the rivers, including riders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYquDDvA8U
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6mV9g5vJE
or man style.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGNF...eature=related
Absolutely right about the heat from the exhaust, even inflated with a hand pump the tube is going to shrink when it hits the cold water. But then again, so do I... Leading to a comment on one trip that "it took me longer to find it than it did to pee". For the briefness of the crossing, it probably doesn't matter, as soft tubes will still have sufficient capacity, softness relates more to how they handle, but this isn't going to need the accuracy of a rowed raft. I'm liking the catapult! I believe in Britain there is a catapult club that has tossed VW bugs and the like considerable distances. But we digress.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #74
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Absolutely right about the heat from the exhaust, even inflated with a hand pump the tube is going to shrink when it hits the cold water. But then again, so do I... Leading to a comment on one trip that "it took me longer to find it than it did to pee". For the briefness of the crossing, it probably doesn't matter, as soft tubes will still have sufficient capacity, softness relates more to how they handle, but this isn't going to need the accuracy of a rowed raft. I'm liking the catapult! I believe in Britain there is a catapult club that has tossed VW bugs and the like considerable distances. But we digress.
I agree about the exhaust gas. If the bike is at riding temperature, the air it expels will be hot, to minimize this I would inflate the tubes once we have stuff sorted and are almost ready to cross, that way the air filling the tubes will be cooler and will shrink the tube less.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #75
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

UPDATE: Spares, Tools, Consumables

UPDATE: We have tentatively dedcided on the Yamaha WR250R as our bike of choice for this trip. I've got a preliminary list of spares, tools, and consumables to taken on this trip. Please feel free to comment on this and offer your suggestions.

SPARES(total for all bikes)
  • 1 tire patch kit
  • 1 front tube (21”)
  • 1 rear tube (18”)
  • 1 shift lever
  • 1-3 spare plugs
  • 1.4L of extra oil
  • 1-3 oil filter
  • assorted spare fuses
  • assorted spare nuts/bolts
  • 4 staked master links
  • 6 link piece of spare chain
TOOLS

The following list is for the entire group. Since we’ll be on the same bike only one set of tools is required. The tools highlighted in yellow are ones that I already have. As I acquire the rest I will update this.
  • motion pro tire lever wrench 27mm
  • motion pro tire lever wrench 22mm
  • blue ridge racing tire lever wrench 17mm
  • motion pro tire lever wrench 11/12mm
  • spark plug socket (not sure what size)
  • motion pro 27mm wrench adapter ⅜” drive
  • terra-x chain breaker
  • assorted socket sizes to be determined
  • tire pump

CONSUMABLES(total for all bikes)
  • chain oil (90wt)
  • grease
  • anti-seize
  • demulsifier (used to separate oil from water in the oil field, we’ll use it as an oil cleaning agent for emergency water injestion)
  • 2-Quick Steel tubes