Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #226
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 399
Your Kharma is good, I am in deficit..

Hey mate,

Glad to see the stool coming in handy for mre than just suppprting your bony ass. Sorry to hear you had such a bad run of luck, but on balance I dont think you did bad in the greater scheme of things.

Speaking of Kharma there is the unresolved issue of the 80 lukas you left with me. Shall I just do you an Amazon gift card? If so PM me with the e-mail address you want it leaving to.

BTW, check out my latest guests! Some of the inmates here may know of Walter Colebatch

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...gAdventureTeam

Un abrazo fuerte - Martyn

Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #227
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
Hey mate,

Glad to see the stool coming in handy for mre than just suppprting your bony ass. Sorry to hear you had such a bad run of luck, but on balance I dont think you did bad in the greater scheme of things.
It hasn't been that bad, more exciting than anything.

Just cleaned all the tar off the bike, put some forsale signs on it and looking for buyers.

Also hooked up with some guys trying to set up a container from Ushuaia to Los Angeles. This would be ideal for me, because to get to BA I need a new front and rear sprocket, chain and rear tire. That will probably run me $500USD.

Photos coming soon.

PS. Lots of whorehouses here in Puta Arenas

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado

snohobo screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 03:25 PM
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #228
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Forsale!

Washed the bike, and here she is without bags and ready to race!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #229
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
Washed the bike, and here she is without bags and ready to race!

what's the process like for selling down there? taxes, title, etc?
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #230
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
what's the process like for selling down there? taxes, title, etc?
From what I hear its pretty simple. Find a buyer, go to the notary with the title and cash, have the transaction notarized, go to customs, fill out some paperwork there, try not to get robbed when leaving town with $5,000 cash.

If you sell to a Chilean, they have to pay taxes, if you sell to a foreigner, Im pretty sure they dont. You might have to photoshop the title in order for them to leave, until they get the new title...

snohobo screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 10:02 AM
Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #231
H20Bear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
What up brotha!

Austin here. Wanted to zing you my contact info. Austin431@gmail.com is the best way to get in contact with me.

I'm currently halfway between the bus station and airport in Gallegos. I'm walking the 7k to the airport. Taxis are 70 and im just to cheap and/or stubborn to go for that. Ha you never realize how usful a bike is for transport your junk til ya sell her.

Anyway, nice meeting you man. Let's keep in touch and shred a bit stateside.
H20Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #232
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
From what I hear its pretty simple. Find a buyer, go to the notary with the title and cash, have the transaction notarized, go to customs, fill out some paperwork there, try not to get robbed when leaving town with $5,000 cash.

If you sell to a Chilean, they have to pay taxes, if you sell to a foreigner, Im pretty sure they dont. You might have to photoshop the title in order for them to leave, until they get the new title...
nice. and what's the market like for them? do you expect to take a bath on the sale price just to be rid of it or can you expect to get a fair price for it?
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #233
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
nice. and what's the market like for them? do you expect to take a bath on the sale price just to be rid of it or can you expect to get a fair price for it?
Theres a market here for used adventure bikes, though youll probably take a hit on it depending on how much time you have. If you are in a hurry you can expect to get less.

Its not a huge market but you can talk to a few well connected people and quickly find the 4 or 5 guys who have enough money to buy a bike here.

Im in the process of building a crate right now to ship directly out of Punta Arenas, so unless i get exactly what I want for my bike, Im not selling.

Though I probably change my mind about that 6 or 7 times daily.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #234
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

So, stream of conciousness going on right now....

Im building a crate to send the bike home from Punta Arenas. Its going to be cheaper than using Dakar Motos in BsAs, and my bike cant make it to BsAs without a new rear tire, new chain, and sprockets.

So...Im heading to Ushuaia for a bit on Tuesday, and when I get back to PA, well start building the crate around the bike.

I do have a few things to think about. I wont be going home until May 1st. SO the bike will stay here at a friends house (Punta Arenas) until I tell them to ship. The bike will go ground to Santiago (4 days) and then to LAX (air) most likely through Miami (need to pin this down).

The bike will get checked at customs at the Port of Entry. Hopefully it wont be held, and that itll go directly to LAX. My flight from BsAs goes through Miami, LAX and then on to SFO.

The ideal plan would be to plan the arrival of the bike to coincide with my arrival in LAX. I can then get the bike out of customs, and ride it to San Francisco.

LAN gives me 48 hours to pick up the bike at LAX and then charges $40 per day storage.

The other option is to send the bike after I arrive in San Francisco, wait to get notification that the bike has arrived in LAX and bum a last minute ride to LAX to pick up the bike. This will prevent me from waiting around in LA (albeit at various friends houses) until my bike clears customs.

Both options seem doable, I like the idea of bumming around LA, though without transport, LA sucks (LA just kinda sucks anyways, but I have friends there).

I also like the idea of coming home, settling into my home, and waiting comfortable for my bike to clear customs.

First though, Ill send a new rear tire, chain and sprocket to a buddies house in LA to get me home.

The plan also includes to put all my riding gear, boots, helmet and other stuff in the crate - and slowly make my way to BsAs hitchhiking, or whatever. Im wondering if I should include my camping gear, and cooking gear in the crate, and continue traveling really light.

I think I like the option of having camping gear, but how much will I be camping from March 25th to April 19th on my way to BsAs? More than I think? Less than I think?

Anyways, thats it - just wanted to fill you in on whats going on in my head. Any ideas or opinions are highly encouraged.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #235
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Tough call on camping.

If I were you and hitchhiking, I would ditch it. Just take the big puffy coat.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #236
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
Quote:

Anyways, thats it - just wanted to fill you in on whats going on in my head. Any ideas or opinions are highly encouraged.
Which means that the actual trip is over...
Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #237
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manneman View Post
Which means that the actual trip is over...
No way, I'm planning an epic ride from lax to San Francisco and I'm documenting the whole crating and uncrating process. Plus ill keep the ride report going in the meantime.

You don't want to miss the pigeon hunting portion if my trip!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #238
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Yeh..since your down that way, find and read the book, "The Uttermost Part of The Earth" by lucas Bridges. And keep 0n living the Dream.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #239
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesiu View Post
Tough call on camping.

If I were you and hitchhiking, I would ditch it. Just take the big puffy coat.
Which is basically a wearable sleeping bag!

snohobo screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 08:52 AM
Old 03-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #240
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,290
In all likelihood, the bike will not arrive in LA the day they are telling you...