Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #31
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Picture of my bike - her name is Adriana. This is here with her new blanket seat pad...

And she got a tongue piercing in Medellin....

And her clit too....

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado

snohobo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 08:10 PM
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #32
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
First time reading about an enema that someone paid for in a ride report Glad you where happy with the results man

Good to see you are making some nice, er interesting stops along the way. Thanks for sharing most of this
Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #33
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

We got up early and woke Al up from his deep slumber. We know he usually gets up late but we didnt feel bad - hes got 3 weeks to kick it!

Headed into Cuenca for breakfast - our favorite places to park ins in the town square near the no parking sign...

We took off for Vilcabamba and i loved the ride. fast sweepers turning into tighter stuff the closer we go tto Vilcabamba. We gassed up in Loja and arrived in Vilcabamba a bit later.

Vilcababamba isnt much to see - its a quiet little town where lots of gringos are moving too. I spoke to the cute kiwi girl and she told me theres lots of conspiracy end of the world folks walking around. I made sure not to talk to any of them....

Got up early and headed for the Peruvian border town. We were told it would take 5 hours to Zumba and 1. to the border. Then probably another hour or so to get to San Ignacio - a small town thats good for spending the night and not much else.

Its all dirt, 200 kms of it and it varies betwen nice hardpack, loose duffy stuff, rocky gravely road and everything in between.

Had some lunch in Zumba and headed to the border. About 5 kms in - this happened....

I didnt really bail as much as get stuck in the rut between the hillside and the road, and couldnt get out of the duff, tried to hop off the bike and ended up laying it over. Speed - 0km.

Cool - pick up the bike and start going again. The road is very dusty and duffy, probably rolling through 50cm of duffy dust when I lose the front tire going about 35km. I start to low side - which is really my prefered side but the front catches on a rock and high side it is....

I land on my forearm, and the bike does a little summersault, and lands half on me. Im glad it only weights about 350lbs and not more.

I instantly see damage... The Enduro wind screen is torn off, as is the headlight mask. Upon closer inspection - the mask cracked and tore away from the speedo. Upon even closer inspection my Remus can is dented in. I prop the bike up after taking photos, grab the zip ties and get to work...

15 mins later im shooken up but back on the bike. I see more of this...

I get to the border abot 1 hour later. Its such a sleepy crossing that Ang and Arnaud woke up the Ecuador immigration guy to stamp out. When i finally arrive, I disrupt a very heated card game so the Peru immigration can help me out. While I wait I tend to my wounds.

We decide to get to San Ignacio - find a room and relaxe. I have mre ziptying to do tomorrow morning but the bike will be fine. I do need to figure out how to reattach the wind screen because all of the little inserts cracked off.

Its gonna be a MacGuver jobs thats for sure.

Also- i need a new rear tire. This MT60 has about 2800kms on it and its almost fried. Im not sure i can wait until Trujillo - def not Lima so time to think about what to do. Might get one sent over from Medellin if I can arrange it. Not sure how much life it has left...

snohobo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 08:10 PM
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #34
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
I wondered how many miles you would get out of the MT-60's..nice and sticky, almost like a rain tire, but I am lucky to get 1,400 to 1,600 miles out of them on the street...

KHVol screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 01:19 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #35
McGoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Loving this RR, it gets better the more you write. Keep it up! Oh, and keep it rubber side down.
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #36
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
MT60's and good news.

I got 4800 miles out of my Mexican Pirelli MT60 before I switched to a Pirelli MT90 in Cartagena. 2800km's puzzles me, but the photo speaks for it self.

Aside from that. Things sped up RAPIDLY since you saw me last. I have my motorcycle now, and it's in proper riding condition. My hearing is Friday (today) at 8:30am. I'll be cleared to leave by 9:30.

I plan to leave here Monday, after the weekend.

I'll likely catch you guys, easily. I plan Lima by Wednesday, and likely Tuesday afternoon.

Keep it real man, it's a bummer you had that high-side.I can thoroughly sympathize!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #37
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBike View Post
Great ride report! I know Christian well and am headed to Panama this week. Sorry we won't get a chance to meet.

Thanks McBike, bummed we wont get to meet but enjoy Panama for me - say hi to the heat and humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakerfreak View Post
No surprise there.

Your trip is turning out to be pretty damn interesting.

P.S. Its Phil by the way.

Nice to see you on here Phil - hope Panama treated you well - I heard you actually wanted to go back when you got back to the states. How´s Prescott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
First time reading about an enema that someone paid for in a ride report Glad you where happy with the results man

Good to see you are making some nice, er interesting stops along the way. Thanks for sharing most of this

Not everyday a cute girls offers you an enema bro. I gota take what I can get these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
I wondered how many miles you would get out of the MT-60's..nice a sticky, almost like a rain tire, but I am lucky to get 1,400 to 1.600 miles out of them on the street...
I rarely get more than 2,000 miles on any of the tires Ive ever had, Pirelli Super Corsa, and Avon Distanzias, and now the MT60 - the 690 puts down a nice amount of torque. Crashmaster asked me if I could get 5,000 miles on a rear - and I told him I would try! I think the only way to do that would be to get a nice hard sport touring tire. Ill see whats available in Trujillo. I might have to stretch a 150 on there as opposed to the 160....

I might have to forget using these sticky supermoto tires for the rest of the trip....

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoo View Post
Loving this RR, it gets better the more you write. Keep it up! Oh, and keep it rubber side down.

Thanks for checking in man. Ill try to keep that in mind - I like to think this is that one bail everyone needs to have on their trip! Get it out of the way early and on dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
I got 4800 miles out of my Mexican Pirelli MT60 before I switched to a Pirelli MT90 in Cartagena. 2800km's puzzles me, but the photo speaks for it self.

I plan to leave here Monday, after the weekend.

I'll likely catch you guys, easily. I plan Lima by Wednesday, and likely Tuesday afternoon.

Keep it real man, it's a bummer you had that high-side.I can thoroughly sympathize!

--Alex
Nice work Al - super stoked that you are getting out of there. Were here in Chachapoyas for a few days and headed down to see the Kuelap ruins - I dont think were gonna cross paths - youll be running man!

I have the MT60R - which is think is a supermoto compound, I bought these tires before I knew I was taking this trip. Ride what you got.

Thanks for everyone for checking in. I like writing this report - and I think my writing style changes as the trip goes on. First time doing this so thanks for sticking with it.

snohobo screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 06:34 AM
Old 10-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #38
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Hey folks,

Spent the night in San Ignacio - a little dumpy town 1 hour south of the Peruvian Ecuadorian border. I spent some time fixing up the headlight and speedo last night, bbecause we have a huge day ahead of us.

Melted some little holes in the fender and the mask to accept some zip ties. The system to keep the headlight mask to the fender is weird on the 690 - it has these little robs that stick out of the fender - which fit into little holes in the bottom of theheadlight mask. then the mask is screwed to the speedo at the top.- The interesting thing is that if you are riding some rocky or washboard trail, the headlight masks at times will pop outo f the little robs and the bottom of the light shakes all over the place. Another 690 design fail IMHO.

So I used about 6 zipties to tighen everything up. I might spend some time with the broken plastic and try to ´weld´it back on because at it stands right now im pretty sure the headlight is pointed up more than it should be...

Still need to locate a drill and some epoxy to put my windscreen back on and then itll be like new again. McGyver style is as good as it gets -. the bike will need some TLC when it gets back..

Hit the road at 8 and found breakfast at 8. We asked for coffee and received dark maple syrup water - so we asked for hot water and proceeded to make a mess trying to make coffee with our drip filter and some grounds we had. It did the trick.

Some dirt before the pavement.

We hit pavement soon after and I have to admit I was happy to see it. 200+ kms of dirt got old for me - the tires werent ideal and im just not used to riding that much dirt. In all honesty Im not used to riding that much - the longest trip Ive ever done is 4 days in nothern california and I think 2 of those days were spent hanging out by the ocean. So really 1 days of riding is the max.

Im sore - partially from riding and partially for the wrech. My taint hurts after a few hours of riding and my neck kills after 4. But thats the deal and I supect itll get better.

The riding conditions quickly improve and weve reached another scenery change, and weve also hit our first long straighaways. Loud, fast, boring. I kill the ipod and put the wax earplugs in - they do the job.

Lots of this...

We don´t break for lunch but we do break for construction in the road.

Contruction in the road. Road closed from 1-330pm. We arrive at 1:05. I ask the guy how long and he says 1.5 hours - I laugh and think its a joke then I see this...

So we settle in - buy some water and some fermented pinneapple from the vendors, I adjust my chain, lube it and we check the tires.

Time to meet Arnaud and Angelica, the french mexican couple Ive been traveling with for the past 2 weeks. We travel well together, and they are easy to be with. They met in Panama some years back and decided to do their moto trip before the kids arrive. Then they may trade up to a yacht and continue the trip on water.

Arnaud is a divemaster and he saved up from years of snorkeling trips to fund this adventure. Angelica is an architect and pulls most of the weight while Arnaud does the riding!

The road opens up and were faced with the best stretch of road weve ridden. Deep in the canyon, the road hugs the river and the canyon walls. Half the road dips under overhanging cliffs, the road is new and traffic is non existant. Both Arn and Ang´s camera and mine died - so we didnt take photos. Roads like this make me not want to have a camera - its just too hard to stop before a nice twisty section to shoot a photo.

Take my work for it - it rocked.

We arrived in Chachapoyas - a nice little town which is a good base camp to do day trips into the local ruins. We find a hotel for 15 soles - or about 6 bucks for me and a abit more for the couple. With parking. We go eat some sheep and fall asleep early.

I get up at 930 after we agreed that today we sleep in. They find me in the veg restaurant drinking maca juice and munching on an omeltte. They want to go see the largest waterfall in Peru, I want to sort the bike out, drink coffee, workout and relax. We part ways and here I am updating you all.

Big love from Chachapoyas Peru-

snohobo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 08:11 PM
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #39
Kylegillick
n00b

Oddometer: 9
where u at buddy, sorry to see about the wreck

hey its kyle from medellin. Im in Puerto Malabrigo, 40 minutes norht of Trujillo. i will be spending the weekend here to do some surfing. I think I selling my bike in Lima. Whats uP? Sorry to see about the fall...
Kylegillick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #40
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
Nice to see you on here Phil - hope Panama treated you well - I heard you actually wanted to go back when you got back to the states. How´s Prescott?
Its funny, its not so much that I liked Panama City. Panama City and the people were starting to get to me, but it was working for me and I guess I was doing a pretty decent job taking care of Panama Passage. Everything fucking fell apart a week after I got back to the states. Let's just say one night in a homeless shelter was enough for me. I should have stayed until January, but hindsight is everything I guess.

Prescott is just as badass as it was the last time I was here. Hopefully something will click soon. Keep the trip report coming. We are all enjoying it here.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #41
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Friday was a chill day. I drank coffee, found the gym (with photos of Arnold on the wall, im currently 5-6 on finding photos of arnold on gym walls). Then we went out to a pizza dinner.

Arnaud and Angelica went to bed early and I went trying to find some skype. Found it but no one answered. Walked outside to smoke a cigarette, and saw two pretty girls walking towards me with another guy. I looked at them, they looked at me, they looked away, I looked away. They passed me, I looked at them, they loked at me, and one of them gave me the ´come with us look´look. I came with them.

They introduced themselves as Lola and Juliana, and Aldo. They said they wanted to ´heat the motor´so we went and got some drinks and were met by 10 other friends. All of the sudden im the gringo in a middle of a Peruvian get together. Im also the only one not drinking.

After some chatting we head to La Reina, one of two dance clubs in Chachapoyas. I was asked to dance by Juliana, the little Peruvian whom I had eyes for. Dancing here was strange, different than in the US. No one was dancing alone, only male female pairs. Also - most people dont lok at each other when they dance, just kind of bop around looking all over the place. There was no DJ, im used to dancing facing the dj, so this was diff adn cool.

We left around 2am and walked the cute one home with plans to hook up in a few days for dinner or drinks.

Woke up early to do some touristy stuff as we had booked a tour to see some caves and some sarcofagus´.

Also on the bus were two Peruvian women, whom the tour operator said were between 25 and 30. yea, they were between 25 amd 30 - about 15 years ago. Also on the bus, a french couple, Marco and Vivina, awesome folks. Meet them here...

Arnaud looking like a serial killer...

Arrived in the caves, we walked in about 1.5 km. It was dark, there were bones, blñablablabla. We had more fun messing around wit the french couple and being annoyingly french than anything else. Then lunch and more driving to get to the Sarcofagus´.

It gets fun here as the van can´t make it up the hill, too muddy and slippery. We attempt to help and then decide to walk the rest of the way.

Im more interested in watching than getting my jeans dirty.

Blessing in disguise as the views were pretty stunning...

We get to the sarcofagus and its pretty dissapointing. They are tiny and we cant get close - but they are about 800 years old and thats pretty cool.

No photos of the sarcofagus´- too sad to post them.

Back the van... Marco with his Inka Cola - which tastes like bubble gum and not cola AT ALL!

Walk back to the van, 2 more hours on a bumpy road and we have dinner and say goodbye to our new friends.

Pretty funny but Arnaud and Marco live about 5 mins from each other in France, and Vivina and I lived about 5 mins from each other in San Francisco.

We smoke a Peruvian cigarette which is uysed in Ayawaska ceremonies in the amazon, and im brought back to Burning Man of this past year when a kid I met had one of these cigarettes. They are strong, and I mean strong as in the strongest cigarette Ive ever smoked. Im gifted a few so plan on pushing back the quit smoking campaing a bit.

Off to bed because I got 4 hours of sleep that night.

We plan on leaving Monday for Kuelap - a lost city that rivals Machu Pichu in size but gets virtually no tourists. Then we head off on the Chachapoyas - Cedellin route which is about 300km of gravel and dirt. Should be fun on a bald rear tire but ill take it easy and have a good time.

We plan on then hitting Pocamayos on the coast of Peru and ride a few hours down to Huanchaco, a cool surf town where ill spend the week waiting for a package from the states. In the package: fuel pump, iphone, kindle, camelback valve, and probably some stuff from mom.

Ill also spend some time in Trujillo looking for a rear tire. Any recommendations on what I should look for? I may not be able to find a 160 for the rear. Should I go port touring if I can find it to get more life out of the tire? I can get a new one in Lima and plan on buying in the states in December when I take a break to visit my family in Disneyland!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #42
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Sitting in chiclayo right now about to head to Trujillo. there's a dealer In lima that has in stock a shinko 705 in size 150/70/17 when I usually run a 160/60. Thinking about getting it. I the price is right at 100 usd.

What issues will I run in by putting a narrower tire on my rim?

I'm going to see if he can send it up. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough tire to get to lima especially since we're gonna run the canon del pato.

Supermoto Around South America
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729679

Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #43
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Hey Shaun,

Just caught up on your whole trip report. Lookin good!

Try and find a piece of sheepskin for your seat. Very comfy.

Keep the pics coming!

Jeff
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #44
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Left for Kuelap - apparently an impressive ruin on the road to Cellendin so we went to check it out.

We met a couple riding 2 up on their little 225 from Trujillo to Jaen - a nice 10 hour ride on dirt road - wearing nothing but street clothes. We ened up taking the tour of the ruins with them - they were super sweet...

We walked around the ruins and I gotta tell you, im not really into ruins. I'll go check out Machu Pichu because Im there but Im not impressed or much interested in historical places. It may mean I'm ignorant but at least I know what I don't like. I think I'll skip these touristy things next time and focus on doing what I like. Riding the bike, meeting people, working out and eating.

We left the ruins and headed to Leymebamba - a sleepy little town about halfway between Chachapoyas and Cellendin. Crachmaster recommended this route and Ive been following the loop he gave me before leaving for my trip. Its made it pretty easy for me to travel and not have to think about where to go.

Heres a few shots of the road. We climbed up to 3800 meters and back down to 2000. Heres us at 3800 meters..

This is after taking all the rain gear off - I got pretty cold as Im not a chilly guy - so Im glad I have a tourmaster heated vest coming my way for the altiplano...

Arrived in Laymebamba after riding about 150kms of nice graded dirt road.

Gonna keep this short because Im on a friends computer and she wants on...

snohobo screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 06:38 AM
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #45
Ol_Prof
Retired but doing it

Oddometer: 40
Donde esta?

Whazup snohobo. ?Que pasa? Beginning to get a little concerned. No reports for almost two weeks.
Ol_Prof is offline   Reply With Quote