Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #46
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Prof View Post
Whazup snohobo. ?Que pasa? Beginning to get a little concerned. No reports for almost two weeks.
I was thinking the same. Where u at Shaun?
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #47
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Holy shit, its been two weeks since ive updated this Its been harder for me to find the motivation than I thought. Plus working on a 7inch tablet really has its drawbacks.

Regardless here I am with another update. Ill make it pic heavy and word light.

Gassed up in Leymebamba, and was able to use the filter that Crashmaster gave me. Word.

This one is for you Vinny.

Headed to Chiclayo where theres apparently a witches market, wanted to check it out before heading to the srif town of Huanchaco for some wave catching.

Got to Chiclayo without incident. Hit teh witches market. Found some Maca with is good for extra hard morning wood and increased libido. Picked up some of that bad boy for my travels.

Headed to Huanchaco after spending a few days in Chiclayo. We had out first ewencounter with the cops.

Got pulled over and the cops asked up for our documents. Title, temp permit and license..... What? you want our insurance? Um - we dont have any. Since we entered in at Zumba - the border has no insurance control , nor did they sell it. So we assumed we didnt need it.

We were pretty sure we were getting the shakedown from teh cops. They let us go after about 10 mins and said we should go straight to Trujillo to buy it. OK Thanks.

About 20 miles later we got pulled over again. Same thing, they wanted the non existant insurance. These guys were looking for a payoff because they pulled out their 1984 copy of the roadbook and showed us the passage that said we needed insurance. I played the dumb guy and spoke only french, really frustrating the police. They said they wanted to bring us to the commisariat and confiscate the bikes. I pulled my helmet off and rolled a cigarette. It was close to 5pm and they clearly wanted to go home. We had all day....

They finally let us go and we made it to Huanchaco a few mins later.

Met up with my buddies Stevie and Tree who are traveling South America in a Sprinter , check them out here...
http://www.sprinterlife.com

Spent a week in Huanchaco surfing or attemping to surf.

Arnaud and Angelica had to take off so we parted ways. They have to make it to Ushuaia before it freezes over and I felt like traveling a bit slower.

I really enjoyed my time with them - speaking french did me some good even though Arnaud feels i barely know the language. French Canadians and the French willl never truly get along - but we do our best. Ill miss them!

After spending a week in Huanchaco it was time to hit the road for Huaraz - a freind I met told me about some epic climbing so I was excited to check it out. The last time I rocked climbed outdoor was 4 years ago in Thailand and loved it.

Left around 10 am and was beat from teh get go. Met a cute French girl the night before and didnt get much sleep. I blame the Maca root.

Made it about halfway to Huaraz and decided to use the blanket for its intended purpose.

Slept a good 45 mins and was ready to go after. I was taking it slow bc the rear tire was gettig pretty slick. I decided to risj getting to Lima instead of having them send the tire up to Trujillo. I didnt want to deal with the headache of sending it up....

Heres its current condition.

I was def sliding a bit in the rear but I switched the fuel delivery to position 1 on the 690 - which makes it more of a DR than a 690 and the bike was more manageable on that setting. I felt like it was a good move....

Started looking for hostels and was directed to one. They were full but thewy said to check next door. HGeaded next door and found Arnauds Wee Strom. Looks like I stumbled onto them in Huaraz. Decided to stay a few nights and sort out the cli,bing. They were out for a day doing a 2 days hike (which they ended up doing in their moto suits....)

Went for a hike to Laguna 69 with these two lovelies... One of them had diarrhea the whole way up Ill let you guess which one

Found some info about Hatun Machay - a climbing refuge in the Cordillera Negra, about 1.5 hours south of Huaraz.

A few days earlier I ran into Siobhan - whom I had met in Salento Colombia. We just ran into each other in the street. I tolf her and her friend Darren of my plan to go climbing and she said she knew two american boys who might be keen to go up but she still had to send them an email and wasnt sure when they were arriving. A few days she thought.

So without anyone to go with, i rented a harness and some shoes and headed up there.

The dirt track off the main road was good, though it was reaqlly foggy, getting late and started to rain. I was looking for a left hand turn, unmarked and missed it so I kept driving. Then the road started to look like this...

I feel once but neglected to take a picture. No worries, bc it hapened about 6 more times...

Found some sheep at one point and eventually the shepard and asked him where the refuge was - 10 kms back the other way? oh! time to head back. By this point it had rained more and the road was muddier, a rteally thick nasty mud.

This happened..

Thats all I got for now guys. Im exhausted and Imm update the rest later tomorrow.

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado

snohobo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 07:13 PM
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #48
jshadyjlo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
time for a haircut

The hair's a little out of control, you have to admit...

Signed,
Your hair sponsor.
jshadyjlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #49
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

This happened a few more times....

By the time my front tire looked like this

and then it happened some more and the bikes looked like this.

This was honestly the hardest riding I have done in a long time. The altitude was getting to me, I couldnt breathe, I was having difficulty picking the pick up, was slipping all over the place, and realized that my eggs had little chance of showing up undamaged at this point. and I love eggs.

Finally got out of the mud and showed up to the refuge.

Cute little two story job, with a refuge keeper. Of course the water heater for the shower was broken so I was happy with a bowl of hot water and a rag. made dinner and crashed early.

Next day had the place to myself so I washed the bike, cleaned my helmet and visor and did some minor house keeping. Heres a pic of the fireplace, the house cat Maca and my work bench.

The next day I was joined by cole, Kevin and Darren. They were all connected to Siobahn and she sent them up here early to come climb with me.

Awesome. We hit the rocks and it was epic. This refuge is a 10 min walk from over 50 routes ranging from 5.8 to 5.12. Its in an area called the Bosque de piedras or the Rock Forest and its very impressive. The Rock forest from the refuge....

Heres a few shots of us doing our thing. Which we did for about 3 days.

UPDATED PHOTOS THAT DARREN TOOK

Darren stuck in the chimney, he easily just scooted his way up there.

Free Pataguchi jacket I found at the hostel tucked under a bed. Glad I found it because it was cold!

View from the Refuge on a sunny day, with Maca the Cat.

Cole getting a shot of my junk

[url=http://snohobo.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Supermoto-Around-South-America/20478481_dk69WX#1630776372_4PjjDN5-A-LB][/url

Typical Kev face

My crash pad.

Some gal we met.

Time to leave, and Im nervous because my tire looks like this now...

This was the view coming down from the refuge on the way to the highway...

Epic road down from Huaraz to the Panamerica, nice new alphalt, twisty curvy switchback, unfortunately im running bald in the rear so had to take her easy but was enjoying the ride.

Hit the panamerica and veered South towards Lima. I was making good time but I expected the Lima traffic to really get to me so i was hurrying. I was rolling an easy 130kph when I lost all power.....

Because of this....

Thats my chain. back in Huanchaco, I removed it to clean it, did a really nice job and remember struggling to put it back on but finally got the links close enough together and snapped the clip on. Never liked the clip and always wanted to replace it with a rivet master link but never got around to it. Oh how I wish I had.

so the chain flies off at 130kph and I lose all power and feel the in the clutch, probably because the chain did this...

Found you!

I suspect thats the slave cyclinder. I suspect I can still drive but without the ability to start or stop. I figure I better look for a ride.

went to get my chain, which had been run over once by a car already, so thats gonna be replaced.

A cop swings by and some kids walk over, all tell me to walk back to the nearest town which is luckily right over my shoulder and try to get a ride from the gas station, no one is going to stop on the panamerica for me. Too dangerous for them and for me.

OK I hoof it to the gas station and make this sign while I go eat...

I spend about an hour sitting on my little chair next to the bike smoking cigarettes, trying to look friendly while i raise my sign to drivers with suitable vehicles. small trucks and pickups are my targets.

No one stops.

Then as a joke, I raise up my sign when the buses go by. The first one stops, surely as a joke.

The driver comes over and says he can take me. i ask "where you gonna put the bike"

He replies in the storage hold. Im not Ok with it and almost dismiss him then think about it. Of course its best to have the bike upright, but what can go wrong by having a bike leaned over for a few hours.

I agree to 150 soles for a 5 hour ride to the closest barrio to downtown Lima, which was actually still a bit away in hindsight.

We dump my fuel and the guys muscle the bike in..

And so it is, my first bus ride ever, never thought id be like this but im OK with it. I promptly fall asleep for 2 hours and wake up on the outskirts of Lima. Time to find a pickup into Miraflores where Darren is already waiting for me with a couple others to help me unload the bike....

snohobo screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 06:46 AM
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #50
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
Good to know a ktm 690 fits in a bus hold That is one of the most interesting transports of a bike I've ever seen, you gotta do what you gotta do

Rivot links are the only thing I EVER run and I carry a big ass press,breaker, and rivetor spares gladly.

Great report man!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #51
titusbyronicus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cool2 great scott!

As your father I feel it is my duty to inform you that you are an insane bad-ass. Great ride report, buddy. Looks like you're having a blast. Keep it up!

Did Adriana catch any more damage by being transported in the bus hold like that? Man, and I thought traveling with a surfboard on the bus was rough...

Your Son.
titusbyronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #52
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
nice writeup! you had me laughing a few times! You should retitle your blog 'In Search of Arnold'

I also learned the hardway about clip master links. Poor GSXR.

See you down the road.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #53
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Definately digging the pics and the write up.
slicks in mud.
now it's right
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #54
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
DUDE! I hope you can get a tire soon. That thing is toast!

Keep the updates coming!

Oh, and post more pics of hot chicks please.
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #55
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,973
Good to see that you got some use out of the funnel filter. Youre going to use it a lot more in Bolivia.

As far as clip master links go.......... I think I remember having a discussion about this in Panama with you?

But, it looks like youre having a blast and keeping a good attitude amigo.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #56
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadyjlo View Post
The hair's a little out of control, you have to admit...

Signed,
Your hair sponsor.

I do agree, but Im too far gone now! Most latinas arent really into it, I just look like a tall old freak with long crazy grey hair, and you should see the looks I get when I walk back from the gym wearing my tiny shorts. I mean 3 year olds look at me like I´m not all there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Good to see that you got some use out of the funnel filter. Youre going to use it a lot more in Bolivia.

As far as clip master links go.......... I think I remember having a discussion about this in Panama with you?

But, it looks like youre having a blast and keeping a good attitude amigo.
I def remember that conversation, wish we had some bailing wire that woulda fit, or really I wished I had the rivet link the whole time! I was laughing when the chain broke and thought of you instantly.

Having a blast bro, and Im gonna keep that filter clipped to the bag to have it more handy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister
Good to know a ktm 690 fits in a bus hold That is one of the most interesting transports of a bike I've ever seen, you gotta do what you gotta do

Rivot links are the only thing I EVER run and I carry a big ass press,breaker, and rivetor spares gladly.

Great report man!
Thanks man, I actually carry that small mopro rivet kit as well, and got to use it a few days ago putting the new chain on.

I definitley wasnt excited about putting the bike in the hold but I was talking to these guys and I kept saying `God will hook me up with whatever he feels is fit`

Apparently that was a freaking bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusbyronicus
As your father I feel it is my duty to inform you that you are an insane bad-ass. Great ride report, buddy. Looks like you're having a blast. Keep it up!

Did Adriana catch any more damage by being transported in the bus hold like that? Man, and I thought traveling with a surfboard on the bus was rough...

Your Son.
Great 6th post!

No damage to the bike, though I was worried about it most of the time (when I wasnt sleeping). Everytime we hit a speed bump I imagined something happening.

I calmed down after a while and realized that its not being put through any worse than Ive put it through.

Plus worrying gets me more grey hair and we all know, no good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider2000
DUDE! I hope you can get a tire soon. That thing is toast!

Keep the updates coming!

Oh, and post more pics of hot chicks please.
Got one, but Im not happy with it AT ALL!

Why dont you grace us with a few photos of your `acquaintances´? Youre doing much better than I am bro, for reasons I do not understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach
Definately digging the pics and the write up.
slicks in mud.
now it's right
Glad youre enjoying it, it was pretty much a nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesiu
nice writeup! you had me laughing a few times! You should retitle your blog 'In Search of Arnold'

I also learned the hardway about clip master links. Poor GSXR.

See you down the road.
Well go looking for Arnold together in Ayacucho, see you soon!

snohobo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 07:14 PM
Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #57
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

I was the last to be dropped off in Los Olivos, which is kind of Lima, but not really as downtoan Lima is another hour away by truck.

The bus guys didnt want to just leave me on the corner, which I appreciated. They wanted to find me a reliable transport into town. They said they wanted me to say good things about Peru. Also, they said if one of the guys they knew messed around with me, they could shoot them, whereas they couldnt just shoot a stranger. I like it.

We eventually found a guy who would bring me into Lima for 100 soles, but not before one of their freinds showed up in a Land Rover and told me to put the bike in the back. Ummm, cmon bro - thats going a bit too far.

So we load the bike, unfortunately the guy doesnt want the bike upright, bc he says well get pulled over 12 times by the cops asking for the paperwork. Not wanting the cops to check my fake insurance 12 times over, I agreed to leave it lying down. Whats another hour?

Time to say bye to my crew, they were rad....

The guy on the left is the Pendejo with the Land Rover.

Arrived in Miraflores, and some folks helped me get the bike down.

I was grateful for a shower at this point because Hatun Matchay had no hot water and at 4000meters, I aint showering.

Headed to the KTM dealer in the am, and low and behold, they have a new slve cylinder! Im actually stunned, and very happy! I show my gratitude, and then ask for the o ring and the gasket....

´Gasket? Que es señor?´....

Fuck, the gasket is the little piece of paper that you should def have in stock, if you are selling the part right next to it.

They tell me its gonna take 8 days to get it from Europe via DHL. I tell them to order it and get ready to wait. I knew I could have ordered it from the states and gotten it quicker, but I had just finished dealing with a package thats stuck at customs in lima (still) and didnt want to deal with customs.

Plus, we have thanksgiving coming up and the climbing boys and Siobhan are all coming to the HitchHiker...

I buy some Motul motor oil, a new chain, chain lube, the cyclinder, the o ring, some bolts and head back to the hostel.

We head out to find a turkey, we find a 22 pounder and buy everything to make a real tgiving feast.

Of the docket, turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, some strawberry chili jelly (no cranberries).

We invited some folks to eat with us, so we have some Americans, French, English, one Argentinian and a Morrancon guy joining us. We all told each other what we were grateful for and stuff our faces....

The climbing boys and Siobhan left, and it was just Darren and I again. I got hit with a two day bout of depression, asking myself what i was doing down here, missing friends and family, blablabl. I suspect being stuck in Lima had something to do with it.

I bounced out of it, just experience my first bout of stomach turbulance, interesting.

Woke up Wednesday excited, called up the KTM dealer and they said i could go pick up my part, and I owed them $2 for it. Check, headed over there, used their grinder to grind off a link or two of my new chain and returned by two o clock to start working. By this time I was joined by ADV rider Dan or MrJonesui, who helped me with the work. We did the chain first, then the slave, and then the oil change.

Notice the new tire? Got a Shinko 705. Its a 150/70/17 when I really need a 160/60/17 but decided that for $95 what the hell.

New chain and slave, all clean.

I managed to drop lots of things in the motor oil, as I always do. Full wrench, drain plug, etc... Just need to put that out there.

We were both anxious to head out so we did at 6AM. We were told Lima traffic is hellish, so better to leave early. They were right.

Dan is heading South and Im heading East into the mountain to visit Huancayo to source some super foods - more on that later. Dan and I plan on meetnig up in Ayacucho and doing Machu Picchu together. Cool.

Found this little gem at 7am and decided to have a last ´good´coffee before I leave civilization.

New hole in my exhaust...

Started heading into the mountains and got to give the tire a test run. Im not excited about it. The taller profile and stretch that Im giving it makes the tire fall into the turn very steeply and abruptly. Its fine up to about 30degrees of lean but after that falls directly into what feels like 45 degrees. Ill have to get used to it, and im sure I will.I hope it doesnt last long so I can pick up a tire in Miami over Christimas and bring it back.

Hit a 4818 meter pass and was glad to be wearing my new crappy winter gloves and all my layers. Brrr.

Reached Huancayo ealry and found a hotel, parking?

Took a huge nap yesterday, and havent been feeling well. Tried to go work out but felt faint, went back to the hotel and watched 6 hours of tv. Lots of stomach turbulance, lots of back and forth between bathroom and bed.

Did most of the same today, but getting ready to leave tomorrow.

Got 225 kms of dirt tomorrow to reach Ayacucho, exciting!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #58
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

PS I HAD to get out of the hostel, they were 3 camping cars full of old FRENCH people!

It was terrible, French Canadians and the French usually get along, but there were simply too many of them. And no young ones...

Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #59
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
i need a haircut too!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #60
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,790
FrCan/Fr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
PS I HAD to get out of the hostel,
It was terrible, French Canadians and the French usually get along, but there were simply too many of them.....

That is very funny, but so true.
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote