Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #76
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
third straight day with the runs
If I had 1 sol for every time the locals in the Peruvian Andes saw me squatting on the side of the road with the runs I would be a rich man.

I recommend a nice pair of assless chaps for riding. Easier to take care of business that way, but you get monkey butt real bad.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #77
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett View Post
Hey bro, nice ride! Take it easy on the airtime off of those rollers!
For some reason a 50mph highside superman carries more consequences in the middle of nowhere Peru than it does on Skaggs road ;-)

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado

snohobo screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 01:22 PM
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #78
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupbone View Post
Snohobo.Thanks for doin such a good RR. sorry to hear about the screamin yayas. never fun. Think of it as a colon cleanser. be safe and enjoy. also do not cut the hair. find a stylist and color it. what the heck, your on the road. go all out.
Nice thanks bud. I'm digging the grey but might out a purple streak in there in your honor.

Actually that "runs for three day" post was from MrJones who highjacked my account after I posted on his Facebook that he was feeling pretty bloated!

Happy to report semi solid poos and that I have yet to drop trou on the side of the road to take care of business.

Funny thing is that I started getting turbulance after switching to bottled water in Lima. Before that it was all tap (except for Leymebamba where the water came out yellow wtf)

Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #79
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
If I had 1 sol for every time the locals in the Peruvian Andes saw me squatting on the side of the road with the runs I would be a rich man.

If it was anything like what I smelled at panama passage I'm glad I wasn't running behind you.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #80
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Left Huancayo around 8 am, and was still feeling pretty turbulant in the stomach. I knew from previous experience that I would not allow myself the pleasure of farting at all on the bike today, my suit has been freshly cleaned and Im just not into dealing with that in the middle of nowhere.

I should also say that yesterday while spending much time on the toilet, I left my shorts on the toilet tank for some reason (you can see where this is going) at some point they fell in.....Nice. Just what I need to deal with as Im doubled over in crampy pains, Rinsed em, ¨washed¨em and strapped them to the outside of my dry bag for teh 250km ride to Ayacucho.

Most told me the ride would take 10 hours. I arrived 6 hours later. Really fun day but no photos, i forgot to charge the cam batteries.

Lots of whoops, rollers, mini dirt jumps, fast stretches. Just a good day of riding.

Found a nice hotel in Ayacucho and went exploring. Had a bad pizza.

Downloaded a ton of stuff on the hostal computer and went to bed.

Next day went exploring Ayacucho, theres a lot of churches. I climbed a hill, took a nap, and then did some maintenance, chain needed to be tightened, bolts as well, and I realized that I when I needed to push the rear brake pads out in Lima, I had removed the clip holding the pin in! Luckily it was still there so I put a piece of wire in.

Mr Jones shows up later some days of sand boarding and buggy riding in the dunes south of Lima. He showers and we hit the town. Photos and chicken.

We meet a two hot chicks who ask us for weed, though we both completely fail to snap pics and hook you guys up. Much apologies. We also failed to hook them up with weed thus lowering their inhibitions. Dan has a gf though and makes a poor wingman.

Though I did snap this cool photo of the plaza...

We got looking for ground coffee and notice this in the tuna sardine aisle...Something fishy for sure.

Clearly theres a problem somewhere if people are robbing them blind of sardines.

Hit the road at 9AM - we have a largish day ahead fo us. 6-8 hours of dirt and paved road, apparently gonna blow us away and it does...

Its freaking cold at times! Im a chilly dude and had to buy a pair of cheap winter gloves. They are so thick I have no idea if Im even holding on top the motorcycle but at least its warm.

Dan shows off his gloves..

Cool bridge

Found this place to eat in the middle of nowhere

Then we found this waterfall. How romantic.

More Peruvian goodness..

And then we found a hotel, what an awesome bedspread...

I am now signing in exclusively as James Bond, occupation Spy....

6 more hours to get to Cusco!

When I crashed in Ecuador right before going into Peru I broke my mirror. Ive been pretty lazy in getting it fixed though I finally found a good solution.

Coming around this corner after hitting the pavement, I almost destroyed a pack of alpacas. I had to hit the brakes so hard I actually stoppied about 6 feet from this alpaco. Was able to snap a quick photo before the Alpaca Lady gave me a nasty face.

I wonder how much 3 whole dead alpacas costs?

Got some lunch and ran into these 3 guys, not chatty at all! So we let them be and took off.

This is why I did this trip...

My buddy thinks I look absolutely rediculous with my curly grey hair coming out of the helmet. I met him on the way to the Stalhratte and he thought I was some 50 year old on a supermoto going through a midlife crisis. I told him that it would be more fitting to have a mid life crisis with his GS1200, not my SMC. Touche?

Got to Cusco and headed to a place called Estrellita, great little hostel about a 10 mins walk from the Plaza de Armas. Parking, wifi, hot water for 20 soles each ($8). Couple hot french backpackers walking around naked too. No pics so take my word for it.

Bike looking tiny next to the GS and the Wee.

Dan has lost two, thats TWO pairs of pants in the last two weeks, also he lost one THATS ONE glove recently. Here he is looking for it.

Look what I found in the bottom of his pannier.

Hair goop and a hammer. Nice.

Len was at the hostel and we all had plans to head to Santa Teresa together though he got the itch to roll early and deserted us this morning. Ill miss him and I kinda hope I get to see him again in Santa Teresa, hes a good ol redneck from Halifax and we need more of those guys riding around in South America. Hes a real sweetheart and he said I had lost my Canadian roots when he saw me haggle for everything I buy. Apparently thats not done in Canada!

Fuck me? Fuck you!

Had to walk around Cusco!

Plaza sin Shaun

A girl made me a sandwhich, it was epic.

Here she is riding Adrianna, but more looking like shes taking a dump on her. Shes actually making vroom vroom noises.

And here she is posing calendar style for all you guys.

Tomorrow we head to Santa Teresa, then Aguas Caliente to see Machi Picchu.

Today I also ordered bar risers, SS oil filters, a clutch kit, and a new injector for ther bike (the OG ones has been replaced so Im excited to have a spare). Ordered all of this in Miami at Palmetto Motors and will pick it up on the way to the airport when I fly out of Miami after New Years.

Dan is hungover this morning so were getting a slow start out of here. He smells of Pisco and frankly its a bit disgusting!

Hugz

Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #81
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 730
snohobo,

I think you will enjoy the ride from Santa Maria to Santa Teresa, just don't fall to the left!

Ride Safe,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #82
Zeekster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
SnoHoBo...Freekin Fantastic RR,Dude! Keep the hair uprite and Don't Cut it...

a
grf
The only time you have too much fuel...is when yer on fire...Mario Andretti
Zeekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #83
Horatio0163
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Found this place to eat in the middle of nowhere

Then we found this waterfall. How romantic.

Middle of nowhere?!? That, my friend, is the pueblito of Chumbes. I got a late start out of Ayacucho (and was on a much smaller bike), and I ended up spending the night in the hostal there. See the building right behind the eatery? That's the hostal. Chumbes is a pleasant little town, with the feeling that you're experiencing the Andes as the locals see the Andes.

I really enjoyed my ride on the Andean route from Lima to Abancay/Cusco, and I enjoy reading the stories of other riders passing through. Thank you for sharing, and ride safely!
Horatio0163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #84
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
nice report!
I noticed on your hotel factura that you are James Bond, is he not from England? You signed Canada. Are you an American or an American impersonating a Canadian?
Saludos Cal
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #85
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Notice the new tire? Got a Shinko 705. Its a 150/70/17 when I really need a 160/60/17 but decided that for $95 what the hell.
You probably already know this, but the 160/60-17HR Distanzia might be a good replacement if you're sticking mainly to paved/hardpacked stuff.

I put the 160 on my wife's DRZ-SM prior to a 2500-mile road trip this summer and it seems to be wearing extremely well so far (albeit on a slightly lighter/less powerful bike, of course).

Mmmm... meaty.

Loving the RR and all the pics! Its obvious you're having a blast regardless of challenges and mechanical issues. Colour me envious! Keep up the great work!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #86
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Are you an American or an American impersonating a Canadian?
Saludos Cal
I'm pretty sure he's French, at least he can speak it pretty well.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #87
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great update Shaun. Keep em coming!
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #88
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
snohobo,

I think you will enjoy the ride from Santa Maria to Santa Teresa, just don't fall to the left!

Ride Safe,
You mean this ride?!

http://vimeo.com/33475120

and

http://vimeo.com/33475228

For some reason Vimeo isnt letting me embed the video so the link will have to do for now....
Len I´m borrowing your Vimeo account until I get my own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeekster
SnoHoBo...Freekin Fantastic RR,Dude! Keep the hair uprite and Don't Cut it...

a
grf

Thanks, Ill try to keep it long until the end of the trip. I really dont trust anyone down here to mess with my locks. Plus I have a cute hairdresser in San Francisco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio0163
I really enjoyed my ride on the Andean route from Lima to Abancay/Cusco, and I enjoy reading the stories of other riders passing through. Thank you for sharing, and ride safely!
Thanks bud, sometimes I honestly have no idea where I am, I just know I left town A and am heading to town B. By the time I get to town B, the name has been embedded in my brain forever. I usually ask where Im headed about 6x a day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
nice report!
I noticed on your hotel factura that you are James Bond, is he not from England? You signed Canada. Are you an American or an American impersonating a Canadian?
Saludos Cal
Thanks for checking in Cal. I actually am fortunate to be able to travel under more than one passport, but less than four.

I was born in Montreal, but was nationalized as an American when I was about 22. I´m currently traveling as a Canadian.

I may switch it up and sign Jason Bourne next time, though its likely to go as un noticed as signing in as Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood
You probably already know this, but the 160/60-17HR Distanzia might be a good replacement if you're sticking mainly to paved/hardpacked stuff.

I put the 160 on my wife's DRZ-SM prior to a 2500-mile road trip this summer and it seems to be wearing extremely well so far (albeit on a slightly lighter/less powerful bike, of course).

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Distanzia, actually more than the MT60 though thats a spectacular tire as well.

The only problem for me is that I get about 2000 miles before I hit the wear bars, and thats just not gonna cut it. I have rarely been able to get more than 2000 miles out of a rear, though Im usually running a sticky compound (BT016, Distanzia SM, MT60SM...)

Though Im happy to report that I just ordered one of these under the suggestion of a fellow rider. He thinks its the last tire Ill need to buy for the rest of the trip...

Its the Heidenau K60 Scout.

I just hope its tough enough for the Bolivian desert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster
I'm pretty sure he's French, at least he can speak it pretty well.
Please, theres a big difference between French and French Canadian, maily that our women are less stuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRider2000
Great update Shaun. Keep em coming!
You got it bro, hows the married life treating you?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #89
snohobo OP
Supermoto hippy

Questions

1) Id like a TKC80 for the front while Im in Bolivia, and Im returning to Miami for Christmas so I was thinking of picking it up there. I run a 120/70/17 in the front and unfortunately the closest thing Conti makes is a 130/80/17..

Im going to assume thats not going to work unless told otherwise...

What else should I look for that will fit? Im looking for a TKC like tire, and im not sure ill be able to find something in Bolivia that fits. I can run a rear tire on the front so thats always an option.

Ill be running a Heidenu K60 Scout 150/70/17 for the rear... I currently have an MT60 for the front but its not going to last or serve me that well in the sand....

2) The bike has been starting rough, at altitude and sea level. Sometimes it fires right up, sometimes it turns 4 or 5 times before starting and sometimes it needs a bt of throttle.

Ive never had to give it throttle in 10,000 miles and dont plan on starting now.

What could the issue be?

Thanks all

Old 12-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #90
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Questions

1) Id like a TKC80 for the front while Im in Bolivia, and Im returning to Miami for Christmas so I was thinking of picking it up there. I run a 120/70/17 in the front and unfortunately the closest thing Conti makes is a 130/80/17..

Im going to assume thats not going to work unless told otherwise...

What else should I look for that will fit? Im looking for a TKC like tire, and im not sure ill be able to find something in Bolivia that fits. I can run a rear tire on the front so thats always an option.

Ill be running a Heidenu K60 Scout 150/70/17 for the rear... I currently have an MT60 for the front but its not going to last or serve me that well in the sand....

2) The bike has been starting rough, at altitude and sea level. Sometimes it fires right up, sometimes it turns 4 or 5 times before starting and sometimes it needs a bt of throttle.

Ive never had to give it throttle in 10,000 miles and dont plan on starting now.

What could the issue be?

Thanks all
I have the answer to that my dear friend!

I run the TKC 80 as 120/90-17 in front and Metzeler Karoo Twinduro 150/80-17 in the back on my Yamaha/MBK XT660X SM. I have 1,5 bars in front and 1,7 in the back to get them more sticky on gravel and snow which is these main surface. (Note the spikes...)

BUT one problem can occur which it did for me, the caster was to much forward so the bike felt unstable and where dancing around on the pavement so I had to lower the back end 30 mm with longer dogbones and that solved the problem indefinately.

Now it´s like a freight train on the road even when its dry!

And one reason for your other problem could be altitude combined with moisture...you get use to it but you´re riding a machine which needs to be adjusted?

Manneman screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 01:53 PM
Manneman is offline   Reply With Quote