Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Question BST 40 inlet threaded or pressed?

Being it's on my thumper I posted up here

Again an answer I have not been able to find is, whether the BST 40's metal intake line is threaded or is it a press fit deal?

You know the one, the bent carb inlet that looks like it is totally out of place on the 640s, not facing the right direction, causes the fuel lines to kink if the spring isn't in it....

I already 86ed that tiny little filter in there (lost somewhere in the garage) and turned the inlet toward the petcock, it made some nasty creaking sounds when I did this, it felt kinda press fit but I'm not sure?

I'm going to cut it down in length and put a 90 degree angle fuel filter in there for less kinkability of the fuel line, a greater surface of the filter, a better flow rate and all around easier workability.

Beside, I've never found the part number for that tiny little filter that goes in the inlet and I'm guessing the $2 to $3 or so for the filters I have ordered is a cheaper/better way to go.

This would be the filter/s I have on the way.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
press fit, be careful!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

Thank you!
I am very glad I asked!

That should make things interesting not having any metal dust from the cutting of the inlet enter the carb. Yehoooooo!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
press fit, be careful!
+1. They twist before they collapse, but you need to be slow and careful to catch it before its wrecked. Luckily I experimented on my son's bike first.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

As for myself I was really easy on it when I turned it and every little creak that came out of it puckered the old seat muncher. No more Chuck Berry dancin with that little bitch!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
F.W.I.W. and speaking from experience (don't ask me how I know, it causes night sweats thinking about it!) that metal type of filter isn't worth a crap and it's best to go with what looks like a paper element (but I think they're actually a finely knit nylon mesh) or else smaller particles can clog your pilot jet circuit.
The big vibes from the big singles can actually vibrate those brass particles in your aftermarket filter apart. (It's happend to me and clogged my idle circuit)

I've used filters from Home Depot that are designed for larger riding mowers with great success. No starvation problems as the mesh material is just like that which is in your bikes fuelcock (but actually appears to be a little finer).
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

Damn, so memory did serve me correctly! I wasn't sure and wasn't able to find the information I thought I had read in the past about these filters.

The main reason I chose this specific filter is for its size and configuration (small + 90%) which should fit in place very nicely.

I've looked at the screen type with this same configuration and they are slightly larger then this filter so I chose this one.

Probably not too smart but I am going to take a chance with this filter being it will be suspended from fuel lines that should dampen some of the vibration. Thinking about it the fuel lines could increase the vibration too. Well at least for a little while and to get an idea of how the slightly larger screen type filter will fit.

Yikes! All that searching and I may not even use these filters now.

Wylie screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 06:54 AM
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
That little filter is made with a Briggs and Stratton type engine in mind. I don't think anything can vibrate as bad as one of those.
How about a small piece of a ladys nylon stocking put over the end of the filter to catch any straw matter that comes loose.
I've used a very similar filter on my XT without issue for the last year or two.
Never gave thought and worried about it coming apart but it seems to make sense.

How about something like this?
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...=28038&cat=704

edit: No mention of the fuel line diameter though.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

That could very well be the ticket with the nylons although restricting the flow could be an issue too. Maybe I'll rig something to test flow but I'm not sure what the stock filter in the BST is rated and it's kind of a variable being a CV type carb too. Wohw, almost went into brain over load there, I'll take this up again when I have had more sleep.

That filter you posted up with a string around the outside or something to stop kinks looks like a good idea too!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
rivercreep
Banned

Curious...

What's wrong with the stock set up?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
What's wrong with the stock set up?
One, it kinks the crap out of the fuel line if the spring that goes inside the line gets lost.
Two, the double 90% angles slows the flow.
Three, it is a tiny little filter, not much surface area.
Four, I have never found the part number for the filter.
Five, the installation of the fuel line could be made easier.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
rivercreep
Banned

...makes sense I guess.
Good luck!
B.T.W. if you do decide you want that little filter screen for the gas inlet tube, look at an exploded parts diagram for 96-current DR650s. Ours uses one too.
Suzuki just choose to route the hose nicely for good fuel flow.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

Thanks Rivercreep,
So that's a BST 40 as well then? If so that would work as a last option, I get set on doing something like this and usually figure a better application. Now if DK would get the filters shipped to me I could start working on it this weekend.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 AM   #14
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
Four, I have never found the part number for the filter.
Part 42 on picture,
KTM part number 58431042000 "FUEL SCREEN MIKUNI".
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Wylie OP
Back in the saddle again

Okay I I'm not the best at finding stuff on the internet!

Thank you Seikkailu_R!
For some reason your link doesn't want to load for me, I'll search the part number you have supplied later.

Off to work with me!