Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
RiDR OP
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
unexpected COOL side effect / Thumper Geometry

I wasn't expecting this at all...

I needed some new springs up front and rear to handle an eight gallon fuel tank and some metal panniers loaded.
Deciding what spring to get out back was a bit of a dilemma as the racetech spring calculator said I needed 7.82 Kg for my weight alone, and 8.47 kg with the metal panniers... so I opted for the 8.1 Kg which was right in between.

Keeping in mind that:

Race Sag should be around 4"
Static sag should be between 1 - 1 1/2"

With the panniers on, I set the sag and ended up with 3 3/4" race sag and 2" static sag. Without the panniers this equals 3 1/2" race sag and 2" static.

In other words, I really had to preload the rear spring (which will have to suffice until I get real suspension), and from what I've read, with the ride height being taller, not only did the weight shift forward, but the swingarm angle makes for a shorter wheelbase.

The bike takes corners, twisties unreal and is really flickable. At first I thought wow, I'm a great rider but realized something was up when I went through a sweeper at speeds that I would have never attempted before... I always thought it was the rider, but in this case it's the bike!

On the downside, I'm noticing some crawling speed imbalance where it's hard to hold a straight line in stop and go traffic, less traction on the rear wheel for acceleration, skipping / loss of traction offroad over bumps, and where once I could lock the rear wheel and slide straight line to a stop, the wheel is harder to lock and will push out to one side... but I may leave it like this for a while, I'm having too much fun to care
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote