Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Here are some more pictures.

Casejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #197
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

With the stock headers off i can really see the damage fully. its pretty bad! im surprised i got any power out of it at all!

i am very glad i got new headers.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #198
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Since there aren't a lot of people out there with the Remus header i thought i could give you guys some good info that might help you make a choose to get them or not.

the pipes are 5" around.
from the bottom of the brake lever, its 3 1/3" to the bottom of the lowest pipe.

Also something to think about, the pipes come out farther up front too. check to make sure your crashbars will fit.

the headers come in 3 pieces, this is where they all meet.

and yes the stock o2 sensor fits

let me know if you have any questions about them. ill go and take any crazy pic you want.
Hey Casejeep,

Thanks very much for the detailed pics and dimensions!!

That will help in determining what needs to be done with the MOD skid plate. Probably pretty similar. I'll have to do some measuring.

I do have a couple of questions and a pic request:

How close is the lower header pipe to the side plate from halfway to the back? In some pics it looks really close and in others not too bad. Also could you give me a measurement as to how far out it is at the furthest point?

Lastly could you take a pic of how low the connection spring sits in relation to the Alt-Rider skid plate? Our skid plate cover that part of the header too so I'm wondering about that.

Thanks!!

Wow your header was pretty beat up!

Dave
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #199
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey Casejeep,

Thanks very much for the detailed pics and dimensions!!

That will help in determining what needs to be done with the MOD skid plate. Probably pretty similar. I'll have to do some measuring.

I do have a couple of questions and a pic request:

How close is the lower header pipe to the side plate from halfway to the back? In some pics it looks really close and in others not too bad. Also could you give me a measurement as to how far out it is at the furthest point?

Lastly could you take a pic of how low the connection spring sits in relation to the Alt-Rider skid plate? Our skid plate cover that part of the header too so I'm wondering about that.

Thanks!!

Wow your header was pretty beat up!

Dave
Hi Dave!

How close is the lower header pipe to the side plate from halfway to the back? it is pretty close, 1/4" but that is because i put 1/4"-1/3" washer on the skidplate mount

Also could you give me a measurement as to how far out it is at the furthest point? the farthest point out is 3", see picture. it lines up with the rear side of the brake lever loop. if that makes sense

But the point you need to really worry about is this front part. it comes out 2" from the frame at the bend. and this is the place i would have needed to cut if i didnt lower the plate that 1/4".

Lastly could you take a pic of how low the connection spring sits in relation to the Alt-Rider skid plate? Our skid plate cover that part of the header too so I'm wondering about that. it does stick down about 3/4" inch bellow the lower pipe.

from the bottom of the brake lever to the very bottom of the spring is 6".

2012-01-08_20-00-59_56

are you planning on making a special plate for just these headers of make your every day plate compatible? because if your planning on making one just for these pipes, you should have it go all the way back so it covers the pipe in the rear, since there is no CAT anymore you can just extend it and make a full coverage plate.

My friend Buster, he owns SoloMotoParts, just ordered one of your rear top racks, he is really happy with it! looks like im going to be placing an order with you soon.

If you want you can send me a prototype of your new skid plate and i can bolt it on to make sure it really fits before you start selling them, then ill send it back to you. just an option.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #200
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Hi Dave!

are you planning on making a special plate for just these headers of make your every day plate compatible? because if your planning on making one just for these pipes, you should have it go all the way back so it covers the pipe in the rear, since there is no CAT anymore you can just extend it and make a full coverage plate.

My friend Buster, he owns SoloMotoParts, just ordered one of your rear top racks, he is really happy with it! looks like im going to be placing an order with you soon.

If you want you can send me a prototype of your new skid plate and i can bolt it on to make sure it really fits before you start selling them, then ill send it back to you. just an option.
Hi Casejeep!!

Thanks for all the detailed pics and measurements!!

Thanks for the compliments on out Top Rack too!

First I want to see how our V2 Skid Plate fits up and then I'll have to take it from there. We'll have access to the Twalcom headers soon so we'll see how it fit with that one.

Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #201
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hi Casejeep!!

Thanks for all the detailed pics and measurements!!

Thanks for the compliments on out Top Rack too!

First I want to see how our V2 Skid Plate fits up and then I'll have to take it from there. We'll have access to the Twalcom headers soon so we'll see how it fit with that one.

Dave
Sure thing. let me know if you need anything else.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #202
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Thematt has invited me to ride Death Valley with him later this month, so it seems like i have been "forced", haha yeah right, to buy some more cool stuff for my bike.

Thus:
i have the following things on order from Solomotoparts.com

Britannia Composites Marge 2 Fairing
Set of TKC80's
KLIM Latitudes pants

Casejeep screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 05:39 PM
Old 01-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #203
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Just got back from a sweet ride up in the hills by me with a few other F800's. here are a few pictures....

Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #204
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Just got back from a sweet ride up in the hills by me with a few other F800's. here are a few pictures....
Looks great Case! The mods really have brought your bike into the "what BMW should have designed" realm. I'm doing the front fender mod in a couple of weeks, I ordered a black KTM 525EXC fender but didn't like it so I just ordered a KTM 950SE fender in orange, I think it will match the orange on my bike better.

The 20 questions game:
How do you like the Wolfman dry bags?
How much stuff did you get into them?
What's the weight on all your overnight gear: is the same amount of gear you have planned for DV?
I loved the feel of the new headers and pipe on my bike, did you notice a difference in handling and power due to the decreased weight and better flow?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #205
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Looks great Case! The mods really have brought your bike into the "what BMW should have designed" realm. I'm doing the front fender mod in a couple of weeks, I ordered a black KTM 525EXC fender but didn't like it so I just ordered a KTM 950SE fender in orange, I think it will match the orange on my bike better.

The 20 questions game:
How do you like the Wolfman dry bags?
How much stuff did you get into them?
What's the weight on all your overnight gear: is the same amount of gear you have planned for DV?
I loved the feel of the new headers and pipe on my bike, did you notice a difference in handling and power due to the decreased weight and better flow?
The 20 questions game: answers
How do you like the Wolfman dry bags? I really like them, this was the first time i have loaded them up and took them out. yes they are a it small, but they dont weigh anything and like you said they wont brake you leg when you crash.

How much stuff did you get into them? i got alot into them, and i still didnt fill them up all the way. i packed what i would really need and they were so empty that i shoved a sweatshirt ontop of each one. see picture bellow.

20120114165100-546

sorry pictures look like shit. im trying out different camera apps on my phone, but in this one i have my sleeping bag and TP and other stuff, and a lot of room for more.

in this side i have my pot to boil water and stove. 2 cans of propane, bowl and cup. and a towel and some more random stuff. also lots of room still available.

What's the weight on all your overnight gear: is the same amount of gear you have planned for DV? all my gear, excluding food, is maybe 25-35lbs. thats including tent and sleeping pad. i used to backpack alot so all my camping stuff is super light weight. and yes i have packed as if i was going to DV today, this ride was kinda my test run to see how it all handled. i wanted to make sure the weight was distributed good.

I loved the feel of the new headers and pipe on my bike, did you notice a difference in handling and power due to the decreased weight and better flow? i feel like it has more "get up and go power" but it could just be my mind. but i am glad i got them for sure, weight, ditch the CAT, fixed my crush point, and better airflow. im only getting alittle decel popping, maybe 1 out of 10 times. so im a very happy camper
Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #206
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
20120114165100-546

What's the weight on all your overnight gear: is the same amount of gear you have planned for DV? all my gear, excluding food, is maybe 25-35lbs. thats including tent and sleeping pad. i used to backpack alot so all my camping stuff is super light weight. and yes i have packed as if i was going to DV today, this ride was kinda my test run to see how it all handled. i wanted to make sure the weight was distributed good.

I loved the feel of the new headers and pipe on my bike, did you notice a difference in handling and power due to the decreased weight and better flow? i feel like it has more "get up and go power" but it could just be my mind. but i am glad i got them for sure, weight, ditch the CAT, fixed my crush point, and better airflow. im only getting alittle decel popping, maybe 1 out of 10 times. so im a very happy camper

Looks good. Not sure if you've got money to blow but if so I'd recommend the following items that have made my moto-camping experience enjoyable (from a packing and use-case perspective):

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core sleeping pad.
This thing is the best item for sleep I've ever owned; out of many therma-rests (inflatable and closed cell) as well as many generic brands and etc etc. This thing is not only 2.5" thick and insulated with Primaloft, it packs up smaller than any thermarest and much smaller than your one in the pic. I have a bad neck from some motocross crashes and this pad is quiet literally as comfortable as sleeping on my memory foam mattress at home. They have a bunch of sizes to choose from. The 20"x72" one that I use packs up into a 5" wide by 8" cylinder. I'm 6'1" and it fits me just about head to toe. I've even laid it over visible rocks and sticks and never felt them and had a sound sleep.

Big Agnes dry bag + pump for sleeping pads
I got sick of blowing the sleeping pad up due to the rather large amount of air it holds. In general it takes 15-16 deep breaths that fill my lungs to fully inflate. Gets old when you're at higher altitudes. So this is the solution, it's a dry bag stuff sack for the sleeping pad, which is convenient since it's not something extra to carry but a modified stuff sack you'd need anyway.

One person tent, 3-4 season
Personally I have the Marmot EOS-1P and love it but there are a lot of one person tents to choose from. It packs up to a 6" by 14" area and is only about 4lbs. Not terribly expensive either. Plenty of room for one person to stretch out + store gear in while you sleep. The one person tent is also nice because you don't have to agree with your riding partners regarding who carries the tent, thus leaving one person hauling more gear than the other; and of course on long trips it can be nice to have space from your companions and sleep alone without someone else's stinky feet near you.

GoreTex Bivy Sack
Sometimes I opt to bring the bivy sack instead of the tent if I'm only going for one or two nights and the weather is 90-100% going to be good. Bivys have the added benefit of increasing your sleeping bag's temperature rating by 10-20F degrees so they can be used in a tent situation if you don't have or don't want to pack a colder rated bag. I have slept in snow storms in my Outdoor Research bivy, but it's not super awesome when it rains. Bivys suck for any kind of privacy (changing clothes or whatever) and some people don't like them due to claustrophobia. However, they are the absolute lightest and smallest shelter, usually packing down to 2-3" wide by 6-12" long cylinder (depending on model); some have poles to create a little dome above your head, like the OR bivy I use.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #207
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Case, for reference, here's all of my gear loaded up for a 4 day trip to DV (New Years 2011). I can fit all of my gear minus the tent into a Wolfman dry bag, this includes 4 days of food, extra clothes, a 800-fill down jacket, sleeping bag (30F 800-fill down), the air-core sleeping pad, pot/pan/stove, kindle, various electronic stuff, tools, and a rather extensive first aid kit. The tent could go in the dry bag but I prefer to mount it separately for weight distribution.

That leaves room for a rotopax on each side of my luggage racks. Since those wolfman expedition side bags look so good I think I'll get a set: which works perfectly as I can mount them along with the rotopax cans. That would keep my luggage weight down lower.

Pack light!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #208
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Case, for reference, here's all of my gear loaded up for a 4 day trip to DV (New Years 2011). I can fit all of my gear minus the tent into a Wolfman dry bag, this includes 4 days of food, extra clothes, a 800-fill down jacket, sleeping bag (30F 800-fill down), the air-core sleeping pad, pot/pan/stove, kindle, various electronic stuff, tools, and a rather extensive first aid kit. The tent could go in the dry bag but I prefer to mount it separately for weight distribution.

That leaves room for a rotopax on each side of my luggage racks. Since those wolfman expedition side bags look so good I think I'll get a set: which works perfectly as I can mount them along with the rotopax cans. That would keep my luggage weight down lower.

Pack light!

you do pack light. i did the ultra-light backpacking thing, it was fine, but now that i dont have to physically carry all my stuff... i like my little comforts. for the most part, most of the stuff is light. with the bike all loaded up it rode really well. im not too worried... yet.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #209
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 644
Talking tires are in

Old 01-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #210
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

I got my new TKC 80's!!!

Thanks Buster714 and Solomotoparts.com