Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #241
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
I spent my Saturday with Buster714, owner of SoloMotoParts, riding by Lake Elsinore, Ca.

It was a fantastic ride! changing terrain, water crossing, mud, and locked gates (of course). Im working on putting together a video but here are some pictures from our trip.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Casejeep screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 08:37 AM
Casejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #242
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Today I installed my Moose Racing Pipe Armor and MOD Rear Rack.

Since I have the high fender on my bike, mud and rocks gets thrown back into my brand new Remus headers. Which I do not like. So I figure a few bucks to protect a lot of bucks was a good trade off.

Install took 5mins.

Untitled

The MOD rack on the other hand was a little harder.

I have HB side racks, and the mounts for them are attached via the rear grab handle bolts. so now the problem, the MOD rack was not expecting that little problem. So the mounting spacers and bolts needed to be reworked.

So I placed the rack directly onto the grab handles.

Untitled

and them I could double up on the spacers. yes it looks funny but i think it works.

Untitled

The problem was is that the bolts are 1/2 inch too short. so after a trip to Home Depot with longer bolts in hand, it was done. and it all matched up level.

Untitled

But it looks great. im wondering if this will compromise the amount of weight it can hold....

Untitled
Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #243
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
MOD BMW F800 GS Rear Rack for H&B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Today I installed my Moose Racing Pipe Armor and MOD Rear Rack.

Since I have the high fender on my bike, mud and rocks gets thrown back into my brand new Remus headers. Which I do not like. So I figure a few bucks to protect a lot of bucks was a good trade off.

Install took 5mins.

The MOD rack on the other hand was a little harder.

I have HB side racks, and the mounts for them are attached via the rear grab handle bolts. so now the problem, the MOD rack was not expecting that little problem. So the mounting spacers and bolts needed to be reworked.

So I placed the rack directly onto the grab handles.

and them I could double up on the spacers. yes it looks funny but i think it works.

The problem was is that the bolts are 1/2 inch too short. so after a trip to Home Depot with longer bolts in hand, it was done. and it all matched up level.

But it looks great. im wondering if this will compromise the amount of weight it can hold....

Hey Casejeep!

Thanks for getting a MOD Top Rack!! (from SoloMotoParts?)

We do actually make a spacer kit specifically to fit the H&B racks.

In fact we make specific spacers to fit all the non-standard ones.
The ones on the far left are the H&B ones, the middle two are the standard ones and then there's the Jesse and the Happy Trail/Wolfman/Backroads Moto ones on the far right.

The H&B ones are about 11mm shorter than combining the two standard ones like you have. They also come with the required 10mm longer bolts (80mm) and then you use the standard rear bolts on the front as I'm sure you have. If you're happy with what you have then good enough. As far as strength is concerned it should be fine but you should flip the top spacers so that the large supporting end is under the Top Rack. You can put either spacer on top it won't matter and they'll interlock and centre into the slight counter-bore on the large face.

As for your Garmin 60Csx mounting that looks like it works well.

I mounted the cradle directly to the upper dashboard. I did have to use spacers (old protos of the short BMW Top Rack spacers ) to enable me to use the release tab on the cradle though. I don't have a close up pic but you can sort of see it here:

It's on the right hand side (the glare spot) and fits in there perfectly without blocking the instruments and it's behind the screen.

Your bike is looking awesome btw!!

Dave
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #244
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey Casejeep!

Thanks for getting a MOD Top Rack!! (from SoloMotoParts?)

We do actually make a spacer kit specifically to fit the H&B racks.

In fact we make specific spacers to fit all the non-standard ones.
The ones on the far left are the H&B ones, the middle two are the standard ones and then there's the Jesse and the Happy Trail/Wolfman/Backroads Moto ones on the far right.

The H&B ones are about 11mm shorter than combining the two standard ones like you have. They also come with the required 10mm longer bolts (80mm) and then you use the standard rear bolts on the front as I'm sure you have. If you're happy with what you have then good enough. As far as strength is concerned it should be fine but you should flip the top spacers so that the large supporting end is under the Top Rack. You can put either spacer on top it won't matter and they'll interlock and centre into the slight counter-bore on the large face.

As for your Garmin 60Csx mounting that looks like it works well.

I mounted the cradle directly to the upper dashboard. I did have to use spacers (old protos of the short BMW Top Rack spacers ) to enable me to use the release tab on the cradle though. I don't have a close up pic but you can sort of see it here:

It's on the right hand side (the glare spot) and fits in there perfectly without blocking the instruments and it's behind the screen.

Your bike is looking awesome btw!!

Dave
Hi Dave,

How did you know i bought the rack from http://www.solomotoparts.com ?

But yes i did.

I did flip the spacers around so the larger end is up top.

Im waiting to get my Rotopax and then on it will mount.

But i do always like to support fellow riders who help other riders out. ie: Selling parts or whatever.

So here you are!

2012-04-19_15-26-40_62

Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #245
Karbono
Rookie GSer

Oddometer: 337
I just opened this last page and I feel I'm watching a commercial on TV... Kind of bizarre actually... product placement overload.
Karbono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #246
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbono View Post
I just opened this last page and I feel I'm watching a commercial on TV... Kind of bizarre actually... product placement overload.
Isnt most of this site dedicated to "what product should i get?", "has anyone ever used this product?", "im having problems with this product", and "i have this product and this is what i think of it"?

Im not getting paid to say anything, im not getting paid to use anyone products, im not getting any products for free.

I try and buy as many items for my bike as i can from fellow inmates or at least stuff from companies that have a presents on ADV.

I know Buster714 personally and so I try and support his business; just like anyone who do for a friend who owns his own business.

but the reason for the "Product Placement" is so people know what parts I'm using. So if someone is planning on doing the high fender modification, they can go to this thread and know exactly what fender i used on mine.

Im sorry you are feeling overwhelmed, im just trying to have fun and be helpful.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #247
Karbono
Rookie GSer

Oddometer: 337
Whatever, dude. I was just calling it like I felt it. Seemed like it was rehearsed or something.

I'm sure their products are great and deserve all the publicity they get.
Karbono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #248
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Well anyway....

With my 4 day trip to Death Valley coming up tomorrow ive been busy putting the final touches on my bike.

I installed my 2 Gallon Rotopax onto the MOD rack.

It was a super easy install, 2 bolts and its done, literally 5mins.

Untitled

Untitled

And i choose the 2gal because its as tall as the 1gal but it has a larger surface, so it makes strapping a duffle or tail bag that much easier.

Untitled

Untitled

Also, i picked up a Scotts, cause I need it. but really its because i need bar riser and might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone, right?

Untitled

I had the SUB mount powder coated black, cause im going for the black and white thing on my bike....
it looks so pertty!
Untitled

The problem is that all the lines and wires are being pulled.

Untitled

The big problem is the brake line from the master cylinder. not only does it pull but it gets pinched at full lock it doesnt pinch all the way but it does squeeze the line abit. i know its not ok.

Untitled

So i am going to run new brake lines this winter or this summer depending on it anything breaks. The fairing is making the lines cramp, there is nowhere for them to escape anymore. so it is just easier to reroute them. And the lower brake lines have been fucked since i put them in, but im cheap and they havent broken yet, which is a testament to how well they are made

but the wires and clutch lines are being pinched between the fairing rib and the fork. so i have to figure out how to fix that... ill take everything apart this winter and figure all this out.

Untitled

anyone have this problem?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #249
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 668
I'm running the same setup: Scotts, Mirage2, but haven't messed with the stock lines at all, I did loosen the banjo bolt at the MC and rotated it a touch to gain some clearance. I'll try to shoot some pics this weekend.
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #250
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Hi Casejeep,

Thanks very much for the decal placement!

No crimping or pinching with my Mirage/ stock lines at all? I'll have to take another look though to see why it's different. Maybe my lines were put at a slightly different angle at the factory? I'm running 30mm risers. Its been on for over a year and a half now.

Have a great trip!!

Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #251
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,473

Two wheel drive. Next time it goes over the hill , you can ride it back up.

bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #252
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Two wheel drive. Next time it goes over the hill , you can ride it back up.

Im hoping i wont need it this trip!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #253
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

I finished my install of my new Scotts today! very excited ti try it out tomorrow on my trip.

2012-04-25_17-52-36_381

2012-04-25_17-52-44_738
Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #254
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Here is a video i made from my trip to Death Valley. a RR to come.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #255
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Wow, inspirational thread! Just when I though I was going to use my GS for touring, your thread inspired me to dig deeper and consider adventuring riding!
Tessitori is offline   Reply With Quote