User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
pandamanprod OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
General Thoughts on '01 640 LC4

Don't have much experience with KTM - I'm looking at an 01 640 on craigslist - I'm still green to offroad use - I have only taken dirt bike class on a little 250 Honda.

The bike has 15k Miles But the seller has just done major repairs on valves, mainshaft bearing, new battery etc, so it sounds like it was babied.

My main concern is, reliability, and rideability - as in, as a new dual sport rider, would I be biting off more than I could chew with this bike, and do you find that the size of this bike starts to limit you on the technical offroad riding that a smaller 400 or 450 would allow?

Thanks so much!
pandamanprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Dave70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamanprod View Post
The bike has 15k Miles But the seller has just done major repairs on valves, mainshaft bearing, new battery etc, so it sounds like it was babied.
Don't know about 'babied'. I know blokes who've done double that with that with little more than regular servicing and a valve adjust.

All I know is I owned a 640 motard and sold it due to the vibration giving me diarrhea and double vision. I've heard this varies from bike to bike. Other than that, it was bullet proof.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamanprod View Post
Don't have much experience with KTM - I'm looking at an 01 640 on craigslist - I'm still green to offroad use - I have only taken dirt bike class on a little 250 Honda.

My main concern is, reliability, and rideability - as in, as a new dual sport rider, would I be biting off more than I could chew with this bike, and do you find that the size of this bike starts to limit you on the technical offroad riding that a smaller 400 or 450 would allow?

Thanks so much!
orange crush is the wrong forum for this, it's for LC8 v-twins. I asked the mods to move this to thumpers where you'll get a better answer.

It depends a lot on what kind of dirt riding you want to do and how much pavement. A Suzuki DRZ400 is probably a better off-road bike, especially for single track but the LC4e will be much better on long stretches of pavement. Everything is a compramise. A KTM 450 RFS is even better than the DRZ offroad and has a 6th gear which makes it better for pavement but it doesn't have the strong subframe of the DRZ (how much stuff do you want to carry?) and it is much more maintenance intensive.

In terms of the 2001 LC4e, the mainshaft bearing is a known issue on that bike and upgrading it is a nice mod but the fact that it needed top-end work at 15k miles could be a bit concerning. It depends what was done but as already said, that's not normally a symptom of being 'babied' but one-off issues do happen and the bike could still be great.

Basically you need to decide what kind of riding you want to do and what mix of riding. The fact that you are inexperienced and mention technical leads me to suggest starting on something else but everyone has their own idea of what 'technical' means

Good luck!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote