User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
BigTony OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
990 ADV high fender - fork guards that fit w/o modification

I've just read many many posts on high fender conversion on a 990 Adv. I've got an 07. Looks pretty managable overall but I can't find a difinitive answer as to whether there are fork guards that fit w/o modification.

Many folks have stated that the 690 smc guards will fit - pn 7650109400030 but then it seems folks are getting different versions when ordering that part and I can't make out whether anyone has actually ordered something and had it fit.

I'm getting ready to order parts and while it's not a big deal to make a little bracket for the 85sx or other guards, I'd just as soon order one that fits if its available. In a perfect world I'd find some orange ones that fit directly.

So whats the word - has anyone actually successfully ordered smc guards or others that fit w/o modification? Available in orange?
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
redeye-az
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
or white ??...
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
blkadvR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Question Very interested in this subject.

I'll take black or white guards!
blkadvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,019
I had cracked my original fender and just used the sides of it for my lower guards. Came out good IMO
Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Hugerush
Furbrain

Oddometer: 69
Long story short - NOPE

I did the same research and the ABS bikes have the speed sensor in the way on the left fork. I found the 690 guards would not fit on the left fork at all without significant butchering. The mounting holes (on either side) do not exactly line up either (on a 2010 anyway) so some type of bracket/adapter will have to be made. The bracket is not too hard if you can wield a drill/file. I ended up going with the fork guards they put on the newer dirt bikes that wrap around as I had them in the garage (from a 530EXC). My installation came out exactly like the one in these pictures (save for the ABS speed sensor wire routing, which you can do a number of ways. The wire looks vulnerable stock, so I don’t know if there is one ideal routing. Oh, and I think his fender looks like a mud fence)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=58

Mine are white instead of orange.

You will also have to deal with the ABS manifold mounted to the top of the bottom triple tree. I used spacers like the pics in the following link, and while it works, the lines ARE wearing spots in the side of the high fender.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=15

I know when I got done my initial thought was, I wouldn’t go through that again and would leave it stock. However, it looks 10 times cooler than the low fender and my first trip out we ran into this!

I have no doubt the low fender would have added to the difficulty in this crap and probably now would be sitting by the side of the road in New Mexico as it probably would’ve broke or I would have had to remove it entirely.

While I wouldn’t call it a must do mod, it’s worth the trouble, especially if you’ve got some down time over the winter. I think the non-ABS bikes have a much easier time! Good Luck!
Hugerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 434
White and high

White works. The mods on fork guards were pretty easy. Given they're plastic - even I could do it. Installed a set of Woody's Capo wheels today for the supermoto look and road riding. Man - those wheels/tires are like road magnets. Kazoom!!!

I used the HOW parts list and write up. Fender is a special order but only took 10 days from ktm-parts.com
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
jruh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Hugerush,
Which size pelican cases do you have and which racks are they mounted on? I have been considering the 35 litre set-up from Caribou Cases but haven't found many photos of how it looks on the 990.
Sorry for going off topic.
Thanks, John
jruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
I will trade a High fender and mount kit and aset of lower fork gaurds for a White or Blue or Black Low fender!!!!
anyone ?????????????

Baja Dad screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 06:39 PM
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Hugerush
Furbrain

Oddometer: 69
They are the 40 Liters on Hepco and Becker racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
Hugerush,
Which size pelican cases do you have and which racks are they mounted on? I have been considering the 35 litre set-up from Caribou Cases but haven't found many photos of how it looks on the 990.
Sorry for going off topic.
Thanks, John
The 40s are made by SKB which are physically "cheaper" than Pelicans/Storms, which are 36s if I remember right. The extra room is nice and the 990 is such a big machine it can swallow up almost any size case. That said, they are lighter, and seem to do the job, although when crammed I wouldn't put any money on their absolute waterproofness (good enough for anything but falling over in a river). The only issue I had was the hinge pins migrate with the vibration of the bike, which could ultimately result in the contents being deposited on the trail (or as in the case of my buddy, digging into your calf). I staked them with a punch (disfigured the opening of the plastic) and that seemed to work for the remainder of the trip.

The top box is of my own doing, also an SKB. I attached it to an aluminum plate using Roger's (Caribou's) quarter turn quick disconnect fastners. It holds my electronics (netbook, ipad, flashlight, rechargable speakers for camp and my dingleberry) It is wired to the bike with a cannonplug and charges the items while riding. Worked very well!

Roger no longer makes racks for the KTMs and after seeing my KLR friend's snap at a weld I am kind of glad I got the H&Bs.
Hugerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
JGE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
^^Baja Dad. If it is a black fender and fork guards I will trade you for my white low fender. I'll send you a PM as well.
JGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,137
JGE, 950 or 990? There is a difference. I think Mr. Dad has a 950.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #12
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
I must have read through some of the same threads and come up with the SMR (or SMC?) guards PN: 7650109400030. They would probably fit a 950 Adv with no mods. The front bolts on the 990s are closer together, so only two holes line up; the outer and the side. I'm not sure if I'll keep them on (would rather have the newer, full wrap type), but here is what I came up with to mount those guards:

You can see the little stainless bracket I made on the left side fork. The guard on the right fork is being test fit.

Side view.

The bracket.

There are a couple things about the fork guard/bracket setup that are a little odd. Because of the extra forward spacing of the bracket, the fork guard has to be persuaded into place. It's not bad, but takes a bit of tweaking to get the plastic to go where it needs to go. I put the rear bolt on first, then tweak the guard to make the front, outer bolt fit and finally fit the front, inner bolt last. Not a big deal, not a lot of force involved, but definitely not stock feeling. It also takes three bolt lengths to make it all work. The rear one is the same as the ones that come out of the low fender. The front, outer bolt is slightly longer and the front, inner bolt is slightly shorter. The front, inner bolt just goes through the guard and into the bracket, any longer and it hits the fork. The little button head bolt holding the bracket to the fork interferes with the fork guard too, but it only takes a slight relief on the inside of the plastic guard to give clearance.

I made the brake line guides out of SS rod too. Couldn't get the KTM parts for this weekend and I really wanted to take the bike for a break-in ride. Good ol' necessity nurturing invention!
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition

Yardstick screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 11:35 AM
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
flyboats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Brake line routing.

[QUOTE=Yardstick;16989127]

Just an observation, but my brakes and lines go inside the forks.

Side view.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 895
New kind of fork protectors?

Old thread...I though I post my question here as suppose to starting a new one for better record keeping.

Does anyone recognize these fork protectors?
are they made by KTM? I like them a lot over 85 SX version.

photo from BlackDog website.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Looks like a stock white fender cut apart, using the lower sections and discarding the center section. A number of guys have done this, I'm not one. I couldn't bring myself to cut up a nicely painted fender in case I decided to return it to stock in the future.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote