User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #136
artbybernadette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Nice!

You were lucky to find those houses, they are so colorful! Great train pics too! Definitely worth trying to sketch.
artbybernadette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #137
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
Love the pics makes me miss living in upstate ny
Old 05-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #138
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixxiT View Post
I've been looking for this type cultivator for EVER!
( I own the tractor it goes on )

Any chance the property owner is reachable

Its a shame that heartless scrappers are gobbling up all this good stuff....
Found it! After 3 or 4 rides around out there and with overcast skies I was able to find the place. 478 Underwood Rd., Vestal NY 13850.

It burned down sometime this past year. No wonder it was so hard to spot.

Unfortunately, no sign of the cultivator or most of the other junk around the house. The old cars are still there and the mint green toilet but I'm guessing they pushed all the other junk, cultivator include, into the foundation and covered it up with the fire debris. If you feel like digging around in the ruins you might be able to uncover it.
Sorry bout that FixxiT.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #139
FixxiT
Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer: 949
Cry

Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #140
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I know how you must feel man. I was disappointed too and I don't even own a tractor. I searched for the place, found it and the item I wanted to find was gone...or buried. If you want we can go out and dig it out. I feel like I owe you that much. But maybe some scrap hauling neighbor too all the metal stuff, who knows. Want me to go talk to the neighbors?

Tom Waits
Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #141
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Some pics from a short ride around Friendsville today.

Somehow I knew I belonged here...

In honor of Jomamma I came to this crossroad (what thread was that anyhow?)...

which led me to this...

and my buddies gargoyle...

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 03:05 PM
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #142
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Met up with some local guys for a ride this morning, 2 KTM's and a KLR. I'm the least experienced of the group so thanks for putting up with my slow speed today guys. Definitely learned a few things and only dropped the DR once and I'm blaming that on a slimy root in muddy condition...on a street tire.

Finding dirt...

Pretty nice so far. This is where we tossed the coin to decide which trail to ride. Stupid coin.

Mud and ruts. The KLR also had a crappy street tire on the back. We both paid for that...

after riding down the trail/creek bed we decided to give this trail a shot. Walked a bit of it and it looked decent enough...

had to turn back when we found a tree blocking that trail, back to the creek bed...

which lead us down to this...

Dan and Karl crossed to see what's on the other side. No go so we headed back the way we came...

I fell shortly after this...

Great ride and I appreciated finally having someone to ride with. Hope you guys let me tag along again. I promise to get a knobby on ASAP!

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 05:08 AM
Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #143
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

If anyone is following this thread from the area we're trying to find other riders for local rides. One of the guys I rode with today started up a page on Shutterfly. If you're nearby and would like to ride with us stop by and introduce yourself.

http://binghamtonadventureriders.shutterfly.com/

I also started a thread in the Regional section...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post21392393

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 01:52 PM
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #144
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Found a great new road I'd totally forgotten about. It's just across the river from my old house in Great Bend PA. It runs through State Game Lands and ties into some other dirt roads. Nice riding and I didn't see anyone else on the SGL road. The other dirt roads were in gas well areas and got pretty busy around 5:30. I guess thats when the shifts change. Otherwise they were also clear of traffic and a lot of fun to ride. I wonder if I can ride on the gas pipeline??? Anyone know?

A few pics of the SGL road.

This is known as the Million Dollar highway. Guess it must have cost a million to build back in the day which was probably way too much for a road from nowhere to nowhere.

Kept me on the pegs a good part of the ride.

Tom Waits
Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #145
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Found a great new road I'd totally forgotten about. It's just across the river from my old house in Great Bend PA. It runs through State Game Lands and ties into some other dirt roads. Nice riding and I didn't see anyone else on the SGL road. The other dirt roads were in gas well areas and got pretty busy around 5:30. I guess thats when the shifts change. Otherwise they were also clear of traffic and a lot of fun to ride. I wonder if I can ride on the gas pipeline??? Anyone know?

A few pics of the SGL road.

This is known as the Million Dollar highway. Guess it must have cost a million to build back in the day which was probably way too much for a road from nowhere to nowhere.

Kept me on the pegs a good part of the ride.
Great pic's! Those SGL roads are some real hidden gems. I love discovering and exploring new ones. Gas related traffic can definately get heavy at certain times, even areas well off the beaten path.

I live and ride a lot between Lawton, PA and Laceyville, PA. There are some awesome new gas pipelines around here, however all of them that I know of are private property. Technically, the NG companies forbid ATV's (not sure about other vehicles), but in the end it's really up to the landowner. My neighbor takes a quad on his pipeline without issue.

There's an awesome stretch of pipeline that is just off the edge of my land. It leads up a steep hill to the dirt road a mile away on top. Until recently, I used to rip up and down it all the time, I can even get some decent air in a few spots. However, my neighbor just had the NG company plant some high octane deer food plot that runs the entire length, so out of respect, I now stay off the pipeline.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #146
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt33 View Post
Great pic's! Those SGL roads are some real hidden gems. I love discovering and exploring new ones. Gas related traffic can definately get heavy at certain times, even areas well off the beaten path.

I live and ride a lot between Lawton, PA and Laceyville, PA. There are some awesome new gas pipelines around here, however all of them that I know of are private property. Technically, the NG companies forbid ATV's (not sure about other vehicles), but in the end it's really up to the landowner. My neighbor takes a quad on his pipeline without issue.

There's an awesome stretch of pipeline that is just off the edge of my land. It leads up a steep hill to the dirt road a mile away on top. Until recently, I used to rip up and down it all the time, I can even get some decent air in a few spots. However, my neighbor just had the NG company plant some high octane deer food plot that runs the entire length, so out of respect, I now stay off the pipeline.
That's good info to know Matt. I'd read something last year on this site that made me think it was fair game riding the pipeline. I'm rethinking it now. I don't want to ruffle feathers and given my limited riding experience I'm probably better off staying on SGL roads.If you know of other areas that are user friendly I'd appreciate the info but do it thru PM's since we don't want all these other FF's knowing about them.
Do you have any specific nights you're free to ride? If you do I can meet you half way after work. There's a ton of dirt roads between you and me we can entertain ourselves with.

Tom Waits
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #147
c1skout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Those houses made me think of Edward Scissorhands!
c1skout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #148
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1skout View Post
Those houses made me think of Edward Scissorhands!
I know. When I came off the dirt road and saw that shit I was blown away. Speedsville it basically an area of people living in old worn out RV's and cabins but it's on the fringe of Ithaca which is also a lot of people living in the back of the car but coupled with high spenders on daddy's buck going to Cornell and Ithaca college. A huge conflict of interest in more ways than I can put into words. Those "cottages" rent for $1000-$1800 a month!

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 03:19 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #149
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

No dirt tonight, bridge building instead. We've got a big project going on and I get to drive through daily to watch the progress. Headed over tonight to watch for awhile. Tried to find a place on the hill to get arial shots but no luck.

One of the old bridges coming down...

Want...

That middle beam was giving them problems, it was fitting a little loose I think. Watching the guy try to inch it over with a small pry bar was interesting. I love this shit and it's been fun watching it progress for the last year or so. Everyday my ride in to work is a bit different and so far traffic has been moving remarkably well.

Tom Waits
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #150
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
I love watching stuff get built