User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
airhead89 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
possible owner need some advice on 76 r60/6

Hey guys and gals. just wanted to start off by saying I'm pretty much completely 100% new to older bmw Motorcycles. I have a chance to finally own and here are the specs. It's a 76 r60/6 it has roughly 17 thousand miles on it. The tank is a deep red color clean Tank its decenT. bike was connected to a huge battery started right up with electric start but at 4k rpm it started to sound as if it's getting too much fuel. Clean title even have the tool kit that came with it he's asking $2,500.

Now I don't work on bikes I'm a pastry chef I do cupcakes and desserts So in other words I deal with different kinds of carbs, so any help is a big help. I have a new friend who is working on a r75. I have a video of the bike at 4k rpm and some pics of the bike in general. I have to make a decision by Thursday before another "buyer" checks it
out. Long story short vins match titles clean but the carbs are mukini there new as well as clutch brake throttle cables. Also yhe exhaust is aftermarket i think its mac. Will try to post pics asapThanks again
airhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 889
I see you found the right forum! I'll assume you read my response in the other thread and not re type it, but instead just ask for pictures.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 16,869
If the bike is nice and clean and has that low of miles, it sure sounds like a good deal. In this part of the world (PNW) it would easily sell for $1000 more.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
A running, riding, clean titled beauty Beemer is worth every penny if you take the time to love it.

Your 4k problem could be a few things, so just start on the list of tune up and you may find the problem works itself out.

Set the points and timing
Set valve clearances
Maybe clean out the carbs if it's sat for awhile
Set Float Height

If the points aren't opening up properly could lead to higher rpm weirdness.
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 10,231
Buy the bike. It needs a tune up to start and that may be all it needs right now.

It may come with manuals. You should have them. If not included buy the Clymer's Manual and the Hayne's manual.

Welcome to the Asylum. We are the inmates and now you are one too.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
airhead89 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Guys, first of all I really apprecite the quick responses. At first I was a little worried about having problems dealing with the bike and fixing the bike myself but I'm reassured now in this forum and I think I'm actually going to get it sometime soon. I'll get the pictures up as soon as I get to my computer.
now as for upgrades on parts since I'll be buying parts I was wondering if I should upgrade to an electrical System if there is for this specific model. I'm probably looking at new shock since they look a little funky obviously new tires as well as a new battery. any suggestions to what brand battery or shocks?
Also what is the right size tire i should be looking at? suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to land the parts and the bike by the end of the week.
Once again I really appreciate the help I'm getting so far
airhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Kt-88
I like everything.

possible owner need some advice on 76 r60/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead89 View Post
Guys, first of all I really apprecite the quick responses. At first I was a little worried about having problems dealing with the bike and fixing the bike myself but I'm reassured now in this forum and I think I'm actually going to get it sometime soon. I'll get the pictures up as soon as I get to my computer.

now as for upgrades on parts since I'll be buying parts I was wondering if I should upgrade to an electrical System if there is for this specific model. I'm probably looking at new shock since they look a little funky obviously new tires as well as a new battery. any suggestions to what brand battery or shocks?

Also what is the right size tire i should be looking at? suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to land the parts and the bike by the end of the week.

Once again I really appreciate the help I'm getting so far

Points are perfectly adequate if even remotely maintained and they last a very long time. There's options to replace them if certain types of damage or wear are present that prevent them from operating well, but for the most part I wouldn't worry about them as a replacement cost yet.

What's funny about the rear shocks? Cosmetic or mechanical functional issues? You have plentiful options there, so again, not too much to worry about.

I bought a Panasonic battery off of eBay for my r60 and it's been absurdly wonderful. During the get-it-running stage it must have turned over the engine under full conpression for twenty minutes or so in one night while I checked oil flow and ignition. I'll dig up the part number. (Panasonic LC-X1228P)

New tires are a must- I run Dunlops but there are many good options. I can't recall the sizes off the top of my head but I'll fill that in quickly too. (Edit: 3.25x19 front 4.00x18 rear)

Kt-88 screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 10:22 AM
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

Front Tire=3.25 S19
Rear Tyre=4.00 S18

Are the stock tire sizes, there's a ton to choose from but I have dunlops on my r75/6 as well.

Really all you need to get the bike running and running well is a good battery with enough cold crank amps to run the starter (can't remember the amount off the top of my head either), and a good tune up. Change all the fluids, crankcase, tranny, final drive, rear hub, set the points and timing correctly looking for burnt spots on the points, adjust the valves, make sure all the electronics work (headlight, blinkers, starter, etc) and it should run just fine.

Since you have a front drum brake, you might examine what condition the shoes are in, that could be a $20-$30 expense but kT-88 is right, points don't usually need to be replaced especially with how low miles are on your bike. Fluids, battery, tires, brakes (T-CLOCS if you remember your learning to ride days) and you'll be rumbling down the road.

I love my Clymer manual, and the actual user manual is very helpful too. You can find a link to it on this board with a simple search.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

I just realized that you mentioned it has Mac Exhaust on it. Is that a 2-into-1 style or are they just different mufflers on the end?

The standard exhaust system has two header pipes with a crossover "H" looking pipe in between them. If that crossover isn't there anymore and the bike hasn't been tuned or rejetted to accommodate it could run a little funny.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
Jim K in PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead89 View Post
. . . . in other words I deal with different kinds of carbs, . . .

You sound like our kind of inmate.

Welcome to the asylum. Get the bike. Even without pictures it sounds like a no-brainer deal. But don't rush to buy parts. If you are going to learn the bike, it's best to learn it by working on it yourself. If you have the $$ to have a mechanic do all of it for you, you probably should just go buy a new bike. If you want to ride and enjoy a classic airhead BMW, the effort to learn it is worthwhile.

The R60 is no power hound, so set your expectations accordingly. It will take you around the world if you want, but it won't set any speed records.

If you can get the original carbs with the bike (you mentioned it has new mikunis), get them and the air box tubes, and air box if it was removed. It sounds like someone bought new carbs rather than deal with cleaning and rebuilding the originals that probably had gas sitting in them for years. 17k miles is a new bike! The originals probably just need re-freshening.

Posting pictures is not a direct thing on this forum. You have to host them elsewhere (smugmug, picasaweb, etc.) and then link to the photo.

In other words, we need pictures!
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
Kt-88
I like everything.

Just to push back a bit on the carbs, I found that the type 53s were a quite a bit more finnicky than the CV Bings or the Mikunis. I'm sure they can be made to work, but the two sides wouldn't equalize on the accelerator pump function and no amount of parts replacement seemed to cure that. Come to think of it, they weren't terribly repeatable on that function even as individual carbs.

That being said sizing on the mikunis and jetting on them is critical and can be an obsessive and exhausting process. The OEM carbs will generally let the bike run at least without too much tomfoolery, and regardless of which carbs are on the bike, the stock air box has always worked best for me.

If you decide to stick with the carbs on the bike now I'll be happy to help you with over-the-Internet setup as I just went through mine a month ago.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Kt-88
I like everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K in PA View Post

The R60 is no power hound, so set your expectations accordingly. It will take you around the world if you want, but it won't set any speed records.

Take this as gospel. Jim is exactly correct. Don't really direct your internal motivations to improving a speed-based performance as you'll never find happiness that way. Go for smoothness and reliability and you'll get to a sweet spot much much quicker.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 10,231
A modern battery and modern tires. Get anything that the needs needs but don't start updating everything or anything right away. The stock ignition will work fine for the first year and you will learn to make it work. If you want to convert later to an electronic module then it will be OK. But the stock system works.

A lot of us are still running ignition points on our old bikes. Mine is a 1975 R90/6.

Here's the thing. You have never learned to deal with a vehicle that is owner operator maintained. The stock ignition system needs some maintenance and adjustment. It can cause problems while on the road but when that happens you will be able to fix it then and there and not call a tow truck. The modern electronic systems work fine but they also can break and when they do you can not fix it. It gets towed to somebody else's shop or you tow it home so you can install the old ignition points that you took out.

Learn to live with the ignition points now and later if you convert to something else you will know more what you are doing.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #14
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Congrats! I wouldn't be looking to "upgrade" anything. Not yet anyway. BMW got these bikes pretty right, so there really is no need to upgrade anything. Get the bike, get it running reliably and safely, ride it a while and get used to it, THEN decide if you want to "upgrade" anything.

We're here to help!.......and anxiously awaiting PICTURES!!!!!!!!
CafeDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
tsADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
If it now has been sitting unused for many years, point out to the owner when discussing the price that many rubber bits other than the tyres may have perished, and could result in imminent oil leaks from engine, gearbox and final drive, or poor fork suspension performance - just to point out to the seller that the bike, although nice looking, isn't new any longer and may need lots of cash trown at it at garages to run properly. With luck this could save you a couple of $$ for your parts fund. With curiosity, interest and a basic understanding of mechanics/engineering, it is easy to do much recommissiong work yourself, especially now when lots of info can be mined from the Internet.

Those R60 models came with Bing slide carbs (wire extending from the top), instead of Bing CV carbs that the bigger brothers got. One reason it has got Mikunis fitted may be that the R60's had a reputation for "pinking" (I wonder if that means something different in your professional lingo!). A better/easier cure than rejetting the Mikunis may be to source some 32 mm Bing CV carbs from another BMW; these should be easy to find and cheapish (?) on the used parts market. With them, it will also look more "BMW-like", IMHO.

ALso, check out the inside of the fuel tank for rust, along the bottom seals. It is of no use if it looks nice on the outside but need a welding job to hold fuel.

Now go look at it again, and buy it!
tsADV is offline   Reply With Quote