Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
LukeyMoonshine OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Puke 82 r80 Frankinbike rebuild

Hi all,
Going to start this thread to document my slow rebuild of an 82 r80 i bought a couple of months ago. It an 82 r80 with an older seat spoked wheels with dual disks up front (from an r100?) and an older tank and airbox.

I Was overly excited when i bought it and missed a few things. Took it to the mechanic after i bought it (because it was starting to backfire and loose power/stop fireing when slowing down or changing down or going downhill) and found out that the compression is low so i'll probs do the rings soonish (hopefully can get away with riding like it is till after summer?)..

The mechanic also found he couldn't tune it, if i remember correctly it was at full advance on idle and he was unable to get it less though could get it further, he reckond that someone had put the timing chain on wrong, off one tooth or so?

Anyhow he balanced the carbys and that sorted out the backfiring and got Hirundo going again.

When i got home i thought i'd try to neaten up the airbox (it's an early airbox not an 82 R80, don't know what it's of, i think a /7 but thats just a guess) as it was a bit askew and i was wondering if that was why the engine was running a bit hot, (red hot exhausts in 1 min of idling)

When i opened it up.... to my horror i found this
y

Yep no frikin air filter?
What was the PO thinking?
and look at all that oil from the breather. yech ech err!

So i ordered a filter, set about cleaning. I got it to come up ok, but i'm not to worried as I'm going to Melbourne soon so i'll hopfully find the proper fasteners for the airbox case and some new plastic intake elbows, took me hours of fun with isoproponol (not my fave alcohol i prefer it with one less carbon) to get them back on and they only just cover the al by bare mils

Oh i replaced some old cracking fuel line also.
anyhow this is how i got to in the end, got im riding again... will probs redo the airbox, hopefully with the proper fasteners in a couple of weeks. Untill then...
LukeyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
ianhl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
welcome to the forum. its a fantastic knowledge base!

looking forward to seeing how your build turns out...
ianhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,674
I should think that, just missing an air filter, the exhausts should NOT be red hot after a minute of idling... low compression or not! You have something weird going on.....

Exhaust timing wrong? That could be explained by the timing-chain theory as well?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 885
Red hot exhaust that soon mean you're running VERY lean...bad for the head, valves, oil, etc,

Sort that out quick.

I don't know what that plate on top of the gear box does..not stock.

Where in OZ?
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
LukeyMoonshine OP
n00b

Cheers for the responces.

The exsausts arn't quite so hot after the carb balance + air filter, no longer red hot (though still hotter than i'd like, although i'm not sure how hot they are meant to get... i've heard that your meant to run fans on the exsaust headers if your running the bike for any length of time without moving)

the plate is sum jury rigged POS the PO was using to keep the air filter case in place. I'm hoping i can find the proper fasteners for it at a wreckers in Melbourne.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,191
Welcome aboard.

Have you checked the vin number on that bike? It looks more like a /6 or /7 with a post '80 front end. After the missing air filter, I dunno whether I'd be trusting the PO too much.

I'm presuming Melbourne, Vic, Oz? If so, which wrecker? The fellow in Coburg?
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
LukeyMoonshine OP
n00b

Yep checked the vin, had some trouble finding it but it appears it's an 82 r80 rs made to look older. The faring mounts are still there although chopped in places, and the headlight is fixed forward pointing.. I'm planing on chopping it off when i get a bucket in headlight enclosure, was thinking somthing like this?

Yeah was thinking I'd check out discount motorcycle wreckers (the guy in coburg).
Old 07-31-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0 That'll confirm the build date.

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 01:16 AM
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Have you got a bucket? That's a nice look. They can be hard to find and $$$. There are Chinese copies available for a similar look at more affordable $.
I've emailed you re: local parts.

The chopped bracket should just unbolt from the frame. It'd be worth keeping as it's not a bad idea keeping the headlight assembly off the steering.