Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #421
nobbylon
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I happened upon this thread the other day and have really enjoyed reading through it. Great to see another r90s back on the road. I fell in love with these bikes aged 12 in 1976 when my Dad used to take me to Sports motorcycles showroom which was on Liverpool rd in Manchester UK. It used to be my brother and my treat for the weekends! I can still smell that showroom full of '76 BM's. The window display was a daytona orange r90s and I still have a picture of it with my brother in the background.
After a succesion of bikes starting with a '78 r100s and going through various japanese sports bikes I eventually realised my dream and bought a '75 daytona orange r90s nearly 14 years ago. I commuted on it weekly for 5 years and then circumstance changed and it now sits in my garage most of the time.
It's had a fair share of work done including frame painting, unleaded ported and twin plugged heads, magnacor, boyer ignition, stainless pipes, konis at rear and american progressive springs with modified damper rods at the front, upper billet triple clamp and a lower fork brace. The wheels were respoked by a chap called Keith Berry from Bolton using the original rims and stainless. After reading this thread I fired her up at the weekend and went for a blast. It never fails to leave me grinning ear to ear.
Thank you for posting all the pics and stories and also for getting another of these amazing machines back into running order,
john (Nederlands)
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #422
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,874
welcome to ADV nobbylon .... stick around some of the most knowledgeable Airhead guru's (not me) hang out on ADV.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #423
gasolinePony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
it's brake master cylinder time...

didn't want to order a BMC kit until I could inspect bore for pits too deep to hone out.

bleed off port was completely plugged, not allowing brake fluid to flow back releasing calipers.
hence why front brakes was locking up.

I have a R75/6, and in the midst of trying to figure out why my front wheel won't roll, I'm seeing very much what you've got depicted here. Rusty, and ugly under the MC. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind (I'm a noob ) . What is the "bore" you are inspecting, and I saw the solution that you made out of your own construction of the bottom gasket--is that still what you would recommend? I'll consider a handlebar mounted mc, but wanted to get your final say after all the hard work!
gasolinePony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #424
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolinePony View Post
I have a R75/6, and in the midst of trying to figure out why my front wheel won't roll, I'm seeing very much what you've got depicted here. Rusty, and ugly under the MC. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind (I'm a noob ) . What is the "bore" you are inspecting, and I saw the solution that you made out of your own construction of the bottom gasket--is that still what you would recommend? I'll consider a handlebar mounted mc, but wanted to get your final say after all the hard work!
hey I was a noob too when this R90S project got started.

lots of folks prefer new master cylinder route. but really wanted to keep R90S stock. your mileage may veri...

reason mine was locking up, brake hoses were collapsed internally not allowing fluid to retract. allowing brake fluid to move one direction only. if unscrewing brake hose releases pressure, freeing up caliper. you've got a positive indicator hoses are bad. if wheel is still locked up after releasing pressure. you've got frozen calipers.

if you decide to rebuild master cylinder. measure bore diameter and inspect bore for deep pits, before you order BMC kit. unfortunately could not find anyone to supply reservoir O-ring.

be sure to only use O-rings made from brake fluid resistant rubber. part numbers are provided in earlier posts.

if master cylinder worked properly at one time, it can be make to work again. fix your BMC and replace your brake hoses. before moving on to your caliper. fortunately calipers rubber go bad much less often than BMC.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 12:12 AM
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #425
nobbylon
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I got my kit with O rings from motobins in the UK. Maybe they have seperate O rings?
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #426
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,677
Any updates on your R90S Cy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #427
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for asking ... R90S has been sitting in my living room. R90S mileage is now 8,306 from original 7,300 miles.

looks like R90S may stay in original unmolested condition for a bit longer. R80G/S has been getting all the miles.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #428
fosterb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
hey cy, congrats on the bike, only thing is I cant see the blasted pics! what the hell am I doing wrong!?

please help me someone!, I have an R100CS and about to buy a R100S that I want to make into something pretty!

brett
fosterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #429
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

sorry about the pic's not showing up .. I can see em. my photo hosting account must have ran out of bandwidth.

R100S would be a wonderful bike to restore!!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #430
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
sorry about the pic's not showing up .. I can see em. my photo hosting account must have ran out of bandwidth.

R100S would be a wonderful bike to restore!!
Cy,

The complaints about PhotoBucket are legion. I had them up until several years ago.

All the photo site in the World advertize "Free" but hope you will up grade to something they can make money from. I get that. PB became useless in my book. They also kept changing the rules.

There are many choices to host pics on the Web. Some cost a little bit. There's one that is owned by the guy who owns AdvRider or has something to do with AdvRider. I'm not sure what the relationship is but it is associated with AdvRider. Maybe it's just the site he likes?

http://www.smugmug.com/

The only gotcha about Smug Mug is that they don't have a free service at all. But the cost is minimal.

I use Image Shack. They have a free service. I'm thinking of sending them money someday because they are so nice about it. It works well enough for me.

http://imageshack.us/

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #431
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,430
Wow, what a find and what a great thread restoring it. I'm subscribed.

Nice work. Especially love your wheel bearing grease tool. Nothing quite as satisfying as making your own tools.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #432
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

hey Gregor .. thanks for dropping in.. BIG fan of your amazing photography!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #433
elkski
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Newby here, advice on master cyl. removal

1. What's the best way to clean m/c parts. Hot soapy water? or some type of solvent.
2. And with the dual brake lines leading off the m/c to the calipers, I cannot remove them from the m/c, (under tank, 1975 R90S). The nuts at the end of the rubber brake lines turn the entire brake line, and I can't get the nuts to turn independently of the brake lines.

And thank you all for help in replacing the starter! Good advice, and good pictures.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #434
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
1. What's the best way to clean m/c parts. Hot soapy water? or some type of solvent.
2. And with the dual brake lines leading off the m/c to the calipers, I cannot remove them from the m/c, (under tank, 1975 R90S). The nuts at the end of the rubber brake lines turn the entire brake line, and I can't get the nuts to turn independently of the brake lines.

And thank you all for help in replacing the starter! Good advice, and good pictures.
brake cleaner for general cleaning then to parts washer vat .. because brake cleaner leaves a film, use denatured alcohol or carb cleaner for final clean. this especially goes for frame brake master cyclinder sits on. Dot 3 brake fluid is alcohol based and will absorb moisture. now is a good time to completely flush old fluid.

Snap-on flare wrenches for hydraulic lines that have not moved for decades is like an insurance policy.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #435
elkski
n00b

Oddometer: 5
master cylinder diameter.

Thanks, Cy, and others!
Now on to the m/c rebuild kit. The piston from the M/C measured at 15.8 mm. I don't know what size rebuild kit to order.
The bike is 1975 R90S, under the tank ATE m/c, with dual front brakes. The 2 brake lines exit single m/c. I don't know if the ATE is stock, but I'm going to try the rebuild. What size to order?
Haven't figured out how to post photos yet; I've got a ways to go. But here is a link to a photo of the piston with the micrometer showing the 15.8 mm diameter. Just select the link and right click to ":open link"

http://silverback.smugmug.com/Bmw/i-sJXn9R4/A

elkski screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 06:15 PM
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote