Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis power View Post
amazing.
i just got my newly purchased 8100 mile 74 r90s back on the road today. been stored in a basment for six years, two previous owners. serial #4950982, don't know where that puts it in production or u.s. distribution. ~

fwiw, i have never seen a r90s or for that matter, a bmw airhead with the engine painted black from the factory. i've owned beau coup /5's, /6's, and /7's along with three gs' and a gspd.
that is amazing..a BIG congrats!!! almost identical bikes. except yours is ready to go and the mystery of the black engine on mine. finding out Butler and Smith from time to time offered un-advertised bikes set up a special way. they would take a base machine, tear down. then add features. http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/

seems actual spec's for USA bikes matched USA ads closer than models destined to go elsewhere.
found this Butler & Smith advertisement from early 1974 claiming 77hp for early R90S
http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/74r90s.pdf

finding out according to serial numbers for USA spec bike starting in 495xxxx. there were a total of about 5,000 USA spec's R90S bikes made. about 1650 per year made it into USA for 3 years.

does your serial numbers match on engine and frame?
noticed you went with modern tires instead of Metzler.

what tire/tube combo did you have installed?

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-19-2011 at 06:02 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #32
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,755
One piece of advice I'd like to share: don't assume anything!

It's easy to figure one part looks like another and assume they're the same, when some minor difference makes them totally different. And don't assume that the specs for one year are the same for the next. These airheads were an evolutionary process - constantly upgraded and improved since their creation in 1923. The problem is that BMW would initiate these changes at any time, midyear or whenever, so you pretty much need to know what you're looking at.

Just a word of caution (there are some pretty deep pits we can fall into making the wrong assumption with these things).
Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,042
That was my point spoken differently. Lube all the bearings? I would first find out if you don't need new cylinders and a valve job for corrosion. That and the transmission rebuilt.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #34
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
thanks... that's exactly what I will do... making a copy of factory maintenance schedule. then using it as a check off list.

under no illusions here ... there is NO way I can hope to be in the same league with folks with 25+ years of Airhead experience. finding out there's tons of technical resources available with a bit of digging. someone made a comments about going blind looking for something on Snowbum's site. I'm going blind after reading some of the voluminous articles on Snowbum's list.
SnoBum's site is a learning experience in itself. Keep paper and pencil available and take notes specific to your year and model. It takes a coupla months to get familiar with use of the site, but worth it for time/money saving details. He is right up there with Oak for deep experience. And recently he updated his on-site search engine and it works very well to speed up finding of specific info.

And speaking of Oak, how would you like to get info from the technical services director for Butler and Smith back in the days of US Airheads imports. AskOak@aol.com with get you that. If anyone knows about black 90S engines, he would know.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #35
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
And speaking of Oak, how would you like to get info from the technical services director for Butler and Smith back in the days of US Airheads imports. AskOak@aol.com with get you that. If anyone knows about black 90S engines, he would know.
WOW!!! been digging... digging... digging about my black engine with no luck. if he was around when Butler and Smith was going. this would be the best lead so far. will be sending a connect msg to Oak.

thank YOU!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #36
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

test polishing a few parts ... it's going to be slow. mechanicals take first priority.

purchased a new gel cell battery, it's a bit smaller in size. but that's OK.
the Yusa battery that came out was so tight, had to break drain tube on side to get out.

some rust on battery tray, so that's got to come out for sand blasting and new paint.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,042
Well, since no else is doing it I guess I will warn you about snowbum's site. Yes, even I go there for some info sometimes but by no means take everything on that site for gospel. He is off base sometimes and other times just wrong. I don't hear this take on the net much but I hear it ALL the time off the net. Read him with your waders on.

I have mentioned this popular sentiment off the net here before and doc has insisted that I point out one for instance almost as if the bum is infallible. I said then that they come up in this forum ALL the time and have many times over since doc last made that nonsensical ruse. Some websites go on and on about all the errors in the manuals as if their websites don't have tons of them! They do!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #38
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
[QUOTE=_cy_;
noticed you went with modern tires instead of Metzler.

what tire/tube combo did you have installed?[/QUOTE]
just wanted to update the old continental tires that were on it. went with bridgestone spitfires 90/90-19 and 110/90-18. they are decent tires and a good price. $115.00 shipped in three days. tubes were just whatever the shop stocks, the old rear tube had a big ol' patch on it.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #39
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
regarding da 'bum: if one finds an error on his site, one can send an email to him regarding it.
He is generally responsive and is not opposed to making corrections or clarification as is warranted.

as with anything from the 'net, it's best to gather infomation from several sources while continuing to use one's own head.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #40
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
beautiful... this is something that i would like to do i rod one in the 70's
Subscribed!
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #41
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
One of the great things about airheads is that there are a zillion people who are willing and free to give you advice about the bike and issues with it.

One of the worst things about airheads is that there are a zillion people who are willing and free to give you advice about the bike and issues with it.

As an owner you have to wade through the crap and figure out who has the answer that's closest to the truth.
Or failing that who's idea fits in with your own ideas best.

Remember there are hundreds of riders who've put thousands of miles on these bikes never having to fix the "issues" that the internet experts claim there are, with the same token there are hundreds of riders who have had to do exactly what the "experts" say needs to be done.

Do what you think is best, getting as much information for as many different sources as you can.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #42
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

back on topic

check out this before and after a bit of elbow grease, all sitting in my living room.
looks much better in person. that darn flash shows every little imperfection.

been reading all the tails of fab adventure in remote parts of the world on Adv.
sure glad I found this site. can't wait until it's my turn to post about adventures to parts unknown.

dry weight is suppose to be 452lb or within a desired range. been scheming on how to mount one hard aluminum box and two soft paniers.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 10:36 AM
Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #43
usafe7ret
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Dr T and SS you guys need to get a room and stop hijacking this thread!

_cy_

You had me going there for a minute wondering what kind of polish you would use to make the R90/S look like a blue DS bike!

Good luck with your project. I am muy celoso.
usafe7ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #44
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,172
Please stay on topic. I have better things to do than play kindergarten teacher for a bunch of adults.

Random crap pruned and sent to Exploding Heads.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
+1
we need to let _cy_ have his thread back.

edit: thx kbasa