boybrushedplad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 231
Black Betty Bam-a-Lam! More, more, more!

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,694
I'm back!!! With another installment. Sorry for the time off. You know how life gets.Busy. So where were we...just leaving Missouri and entering Iowa. We were on that beautiful country road detour with windmills and huge cocks!

Well the Missouri River Flooded over I-29. We had no idea.
http://www.ketv.com/r/28558624/detail.html
Detour after detour we finally made our way to S. Dakota. Good thing we left at 0430 or 0500. When we left Kansas City that morning I misguided us and we were heading towards Des Moines. Ryan got us back on track towards Sioux Falls only to be kept detouring towards DesMoines. Oh the irony!

Let me tell you S. Dakota is windy!! We rode our bikes like we were constantly turning for hours. I would be leaning pretty far over, not dragging knees or anything. Then when you would pass a tractor trailer and you would have to lean the complete opposite way like you went into some cicane because the vacuum was sooooo bad. Once you passed you would have to slam the lean back the opposite direction. There were also these short 100 ft bridges that would do the same thing. This went on for hours.We were trying to get to the Badlands Nat'l. Park before night fall so there weren't many stops for pictures. We had lost a bit of time with the detours but our spirits were up and we were excited. We were at the edge of where we had never gone to except in movies. I know I was gitty inside with what was about to come.

We did stop and grab a Darthpeach Shot or two...

And a couple of scenic viewing areas

We did see some prairie dogs but they didnt want to play. Listent to how windy it is.

We did eventually make it before night fall. In all actuality we still had an hour ride ahead of us to the campsite.

That didn't matter we were on the MOON!
If you've never been...put this on your list of places to go, along with all the other places we are about to go.

Beautiful isn't it. NO, let me tell you something that long winding gravel road with raquetball size rocks and constant washboards that is 15 miles long is not fun on an SV650 with hard touring tires. Soft sticky racing tires are surprisingly better on gravel but I didn't have those. I had a hard compound that made me feel like my bike was going to slip out from under me and bust my radiator in the middle of nowhere. Back home I'd have pushed it harder but here at the begining of this epic journey I didn't want to jeopardize any of our time that we didn't have. It took me all of 40 minutes to get to the site. It was the tale of the tortoise and the hare except the hare won. Every so often
Ryan would pass me. Then he'd stop to take some pics and wait for me. Then in no time at all he'd pass me again. He went about 40mph faster than I could and he wasn't pushing it, just enjoying his investment. AAAhhhhh to be rich like him and have a GS

For BBP

At one point I though I was going to get trampled by a herd of these.

Ryan didn't think this was necessary at this busy intersection. American's and their litigious nature, I'm sure it has something to do with that.

And we finally made it to camp. Pit toilets and a field. We did run into a couple of ADVer's. A man and his son from Ohio I think, I can't remeber their names or where they were from but they were nice. Most of us are
on the way to the camp just after I thought I was going to be literally trampled by a herd of bison we ran into a guy that had apparently already met the two ADVer's that we would later encounter at our site.

kalonji screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 01:56 PM
kalonji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
boybrushedplad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
whats that (animal?) in the picture before the buffalo?

I couldn't get the videos to work

The badlands look awesome
boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybrushedplad View Post
whats that (animal?) in the picture before the buffalo?

I couldn't get the videos to work

The badlands look awesome
I'll post another pic of it cuz I can't remember what the head of it looked like without going back. It was a goat or ram I think.

I didn't like the way photobucket links the videos. They are being uploaded to YouTube as I type. They will be up later today.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

We got up early again. Partly to put miles behind us we had to keep going. Partly cuz we weren't staying up too late after dark. We couldn't build a fire in the grasslands/badlands area they were not permitted. The nights were getting colder the further west we headed. Ryan was nice enough to lend me some socks cuz I forgot to pack some warm ones. Good thing cuz his warm socks were WAY better than mine. Do yourself a favor and go buy some "Smart Wool" brand socks, they'll cost you $25 and they come in a variety of types. Ryan recommends the "Mountaineering" he says they are the thickest. I too have joined the Smartwool Cult

We did manage to get some good shots in before the sun got too far up.

The moon was still up too...

We even made Chocolate Pancakes that were delicious!!!

These guys were everywhere and they would get pretty close

After that we stopped by Cabela's for some supplies and a little diner for some grub before heading to Mt. Rushmore.

Can a German walk past a BMW owner and not say anything??

Then we headed to Crazy Horse. If you're wondeing the answer is no. It's still not done.

I thought we were around the corner from Rushmore and that was G.W.'s profile pic. Ha!

Then I gave Prostate Exams in the parking lot to the elderly tourist to raise some scratch to get us some more of those expensive socks and gas money.

With the extra money we filled our tanks and headed to Wyoming.

Then we went back to S. Dakota because we had forgotten something.

We didn't get too far into the state until we hit more road issues. Seems they were repaving the mountain pass we were taking so we took some photos of each other and stretched our legs a bit.

There are worse places to be stuck.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Well, Big Horn National Park was one of the most beautiful places to see and ride out of the whole trip. Definitely in the top three with Avenue of the Giants and the Pacific Coast Highway. There are exposed rocks that are millions of years old that you pass by in seconds with large fir trees looming all around and a slight nip in the air as the sun hide behind the peaks around you. Nice twisty roads with little traffic. Greatness on a scale that we don't see too often on the East coast. I was finally beginning to feel like "we've made it"

Our plan was to get to Yellowstone and spend the night. We didn't. It was a blessing and a curse. A blessing in the fact that we stayed at one of the best sites we camped at the whole trip and the curse you'll hear about when I tell you of the morning after.

It's been months since we've been on the trip and yes I'm only writing about it now. I wanted to do it during or as soon as I got home but one thing or another just kept getting in the way. I wanted no detail to be missed. Had I done it right afterward I'm sure I would be very long winded. As it stands, typing of the trip just makes me yearn for another. Especially when I get to my favorite parts like Big Horn. Enough sentiment, back to the pictures and videos.

Once again the sun was setting on us and we had no idea where we were staying. We ended up landing at Shell Creek. There was a host and a few others but not busy by any means.

From the road it was only two or three miles of gravel. "I can handle this" Not nearly as bad as the day before but now we had cows instead of bison. The cows actually seemed more threatening. They didn't want to get out of the road. Then all of a sudden they would get spooked. Well that whole herd of buffalo/bison did make me think, "I hope I'm not about to die." and, "maybe this wasn't such a good idea." Basically, I felt bodily harm and death were likely both times. I've never seen a cow jump so high and run up a steep hill like a mountain goat. Add that it was within 10 or so feet from me and I'm riding a street bike on gravel after 12 or so hours of riding hard and hundreds of miles behind me.

Anyhow no pics of the cows sorry.
This is the road leading in. But from where I took it, it was the road leading out.

We did manage to get our camp set up minutes before sundown. Built a fire and had delicious freeze dried meals from Cabela's. Seriously, those things are nice meals and easy.

With our belly's full and our morale up we enjoyed some fine Russian spirits.

Boys will be boys. And he said I was the pyro for the trip.

So earlier in this post I mentioned that staying here was a blessing and a curse. Well we got up early like we had every morning. Six was sleeping in for us. When I tell people what I did for a vacation they think I'm crazy. I guess I am but I digress.

Ryan decided to eat breakfast first. I decided to pack my stuff up first. He finished up his breakfast and I finished packing and we reversed roles. I was about 3/4 of the way though my freeze dried breakfast that was albeit not nearly as good as my dinner when it started to drizzle. Where I'm from, this was a drizzle that would stop in a second or so. I just got under a tree to choke down my food. With every drop the rain grew harder til I realized we needed to get our last minute shit together and go. The temp. was easily in the forties/low fifties. By the time we rolled out visibility was nearly zero with the fog on my face shield. I was wiping the inside and the outside. In a matter of 20 mins everything went from best ever to cold, wet, and dangerous. That gravel road we came in on was a lot more tortuous without the traction and visibility. We did in fact make it to the road in an uneventful manner but it was pretty white knuckled for me. We kept our speed down as the roads had sharp bends and the sun was just at the peaks and hadn't mad its way down to greet us fully. I was able to get a routine of intermittent finger windshield wiping down that work and with road speed not gravel road speed I was able to shake off the fogging. I was probably just hyper ventilating from rushing to get out of there and then my speed was really low because I was on the gravel.

Even with the cold and wet everything the ride out of Big Horn was beautiful and awesome. The waterproofing I put on my pants didn't work at all. Hmmm, or was it the huge vents I failed to notice on them before leaving. Nevertheless I'm lucky that was the only rain we saw. To bad it didn't let up for a couple hundred miles or more or 5-6 hours. I had four layers on my lower half and they were all wet. Riding pants, jeans, thermals, and boxers. Had the riding pants not had the big vents or at least a zipper I would have been a lot better off. I made the best of it. Ryan didn't realize I was that wet until I was half way dry.

kalonji screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 09:41 PM
Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #23
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

The first time the rain let up a little we were in bumper to bumper traffic in Yellowstone near Yellowstone lake. I was pretty miserable and just trying to get through to later in the day when I would be warmer and dryer. It wasn't going to be much longer just another couple hours.

From the East entrance we had seen some forests that had burned. It wasn't much to look at.

I needed to thaw out a little. Coffee perks me up and puts me in a better mood too.

The group of riders in this next video took turns trading the lead with us all morning. This was the last time we saw them.

And, we had our very own bathroom...

We finally made it to Old Faithful a few minute afters after the eruption. It was around an hour til the next one. They had a little diner and gift shop that I got to thaw out in and was starting to feel a little better. Just typing and remembering this day has me searching the internet for some warmer warter proof pants Don't want to be caught with my proverbial pants down again.

I can even smile now

and we waited

and waited

we watched this crow

then we waited some more

AND THEN

Before we exited the park we had another animal spotting. We had seen a bunch of bison blocking the road earlier and stopping traffic. We sat there for ten minutes until they decided to stand somewhere else. I guess we had seen enough bison in S.D. cuz no pictures of them.

Off to Montana...

kalonji screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 09:55 AM
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Ahem... This is caycek5 and kalonii's trip. Tag your turn to post or send me those videos and pics I'm looking for.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #25
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,117
They're baaaaaaack! Glad to see you guys posting again about your trip.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #26
chainslap
BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer: 721
What a great trip and experience. Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing.
chainslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
They're baaaaaaack! Glad to see you guys posting again about your trip.
Look closer, he's left all the dirty work to me.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
Keep it coming. You went though some beautiful country. I know what you're talking about on trip reports and my hat is off to those that do them on the road. I have a time getting myself to do one after the fact period. ;-)

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalonji View Post
Look closer, he's left all the dirty work to me.
Well only you could come up with stuff like the prostate exam humor, so we'll try to be patient. But not too patient.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #30
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Well only you could come up with stuff like the prostate exam humor, so we'll try to be patient. But not too patient.
Funny you mention that. I just got an email from my boss about a free prostate screening with robot.

I was like, huh?

But they're having a screening and a davinci surgical robot will be there to look at. I guess they distract you with that then quickly do the exam before you notice.

kalonji screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 07:56 AM