User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
backroadrider74 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
2 Flatlanders and 2 lc4s in colorado

Well we went a little late last year and we left a month early this year we camped outside of ouray. Close to engineer pass, imogene pass,ophir pass,blackbear pass. yankeeboy basin and countless others. We got a late start friday night and stopped at the former SAC base on the nebraska border

If your into planes Its worth a Visit.
On to colorado we get there in the early morning
We head to trail farther up than yankee boy basin (rated a 4 in a jeep trail book) and found it very easy. Then we headed to imogene pass.
This is the road that leads to Imogene yankee boy basin Here are some shots from imogene

The last mile was the Hardest For me Most likely due to the altitude But This a not a pass for newbies. Then it was down the other side to telluride I grabbed some lunch and water for my camelpak . Then the ride back to ouray To camp. Half way up mikes ktm stalled out so i stopped to help. When i got back to the bike the temp light was on. My tool kit was lost a couple of years ago luckily we meet some helpful guys took the seat off checked fuses there all good took the headlight bib off all fuses there good. About that time a guy came rolling down the hill His bike fell victim to fight with a rock and busted his sidecover. I touched the sensor on the radiator and the fan kicked on so i pulled the cover off and the pigtail vibrated off the sensor.

It was a dry Campsite No showers and a pit toilet But with a stream behind us it was epic.

backroadrider74 screwed with this post 11-21-2014 at 04:38 PM Reason: adding
backroadrider74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
backroadrider74 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

more to come

ophir pass which was calm untill switchbacks with that dam shelf rock but easy after that. we meet a couple of riders after the bad spot a klr 650 (pig of a bike) and a drz then we tried to find a quick way back to ouray (NOT)Then
back to camp By this time it was time For a shower so I headed int ouray for the Famous hot springs and brother it was awesome (right now my dog duke is begging for attn)
Met a guy at the hot springs he was in for the ktm rally I think. Then i headed to outlaws for a burger no dice
So i had Ribs instead the guy next to me was curious about my Shirt (lone wolf expedtions) Turns out he runs a b&b and has a Ktm 500?
Then a trip to the liquoir store for a sixer(thanks sportevo for the saddle bags) wonder if chad berger will get a order from co.
The next day It was the last gulch trail Mind you if you want to see the junk cars head left at the start
We caught the only rain of the trip that day the back to silverton

We stopped at the gas station and i picked up a pizza we headed back to ouray and that pizza was like exlax We tuned off and hit corkscew pass It turns out the bathroom is 3 miles up the trail. Luckily it is dirt and we made a short time of that 3 miles.
It was best pass for fun for my vote
then on for blackbear pass
Well thats enough for a short trip any questions let me know

backroadrider74 screwed with this post 11-20-2014 at 08:40 PM
Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 509
Love this ride report! I go to this area every summer to ride but my pictures never do it justice, yours do, thanks for sharing them.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
backroadrider74 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

more pics

The ice climbing spot right out of ouray