ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #316
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
Yes I have read about there conversion...
Sending my clutch half way around the world to get them to do what I can do myself is
not really a option..
Just need to find some plates that fit or are close enough to machine to fit...
Guess I will have to go anoy the guys at the bike shops... See what I can
come up with...
Never had a single problem with the all metal clutch on any of the Monts I owned back in the day, and its worth bearing in mind that the stock parts work, before fitting a conversion which very likely wont.

Diameter of the clutch on old Spanish bikes is very small, so I would guess that changing friction plate material and reducing spring pressure may well mean problems with slippage.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #317
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer
 
Pete-NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Never had a single problem with the all metal clutch on any of the Monts I owned back in the day, and its worth bearing in mind that the stock parts work, before fitting a conversion which very likely wont....

Diameter of the clutch on old Spanish bikes is very small, so I would guess that changing friction plate material and reducing spring pressure may well mean problems with slippage.
Its no drama if it dosn't work .. i will go back to the all steel stack..
I have a mod in mind that requires fiber plates...
__________________
Here.... my XR250 leaner side car build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716993
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #318
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Before doing anything, have a close look at whether or not its feasible to increase clutch release mechanism travel, as you will probably find you will need more travel as conventional friction plates expand when hot, and steel ones dont.

Personally I would have looked and altering the stock chopper steering angle, and adding a bit of length to the swinging arm on a 348, before getting involved with very fiddly engineering work to alter the clutch.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #319
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
Yes I have read about there conversion...
Sending my clutch half way around the world to get them to do what I can do myself is
not really a option..
Just need to find some plates that fit or are close enough to machine to fit...
Guess I will have to go anoy the guys at the bike shops... See what I can
come up with...
If you have the experience why did you ask?

I had send the flywheel of my KTM to Chuck Stealy in Medford Oregon (US) for adding some weight. From my location this is too half way around the earth. Beside the shipping duration and the shipping costs :/,
it worked out very well.



I tried to find someone here in Germany, but couldn't find anyone, the offers I got with an affordable price where without balancing out the rotor or where riddiculous expensive.

I have read somewhere - forgot where, (may be TC?) - that plates of the CB 125 should fit. But in my experience so far a replacement of the basket with better working plates and a modiefied pressure plate that fit's to the montesa engine is the best way to do it. Sure you can try out but if it don't work you will have to pay the double amount in effort, time and money ...
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #320
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Thats strange...............looks a very simple job for anyone with a largish lathe, and some brass or bronze bar stock?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #321
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 764
Yes it looks easy but the rotor with the added weight needs to be balanced,
which is impossible if you don't have a balancing machine.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #322
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer
 
Pete-NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
If you have the experience why did you ask?

I have read somewhere - forgot where, (may be TC?) - that plates of the CB 125 should fit.
Sorry ..may not have been clear...
The question was......Dose anyone know if its been done
and what plates were used.....
CB125 plates... got to keep serching CB125 models... all the ones
I have found so far are 8 finger plates... need 12 to fit the Cota basket...
Found the XR125 has 12 finger plates , basicly the same motor as the CB125..
__________________
Here.... my XR250 leaner side car build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716993
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #323
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
Sorry ..may not have been clear...
The question was......Dose anyone know if its been done
and what plates were used.....
CB125 plates... got to keep serching CB125 models... all the ones
I have found so far are 8 finger plates... need 12 to fit the Cota basket...
Found the XR125 has 12 finger plates , basicly the same motor as the CB125..

As mentioned, Pfahler (in Germany) has found out a good working setup. But as he earns his money with that rebuild he hasn't told his ressources.

The topic in TC is found here: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...tch+%2Bmontesa

BTW: You haven't mentioned the model and year of your Cota?
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #324
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer
 
Pete-NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
As mentioned, Pfahler (in Germany) has found out a good working setup. But as he earns his money with that rebuild he hasn't told his ressources.

The topic in TC is found here: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...tch+%2Bmontesa

BTW: You haven't mentioned the model and year of your Cota?
Its a 1977 348 that I'm rebuilding...
__________________
Here.... my XR250 leaner side car build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716993

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 07:06 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #325
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
As a matter of interest how many times have you used your 348 in competition, and what leads you to thinking that a clutch conversion is needed on it?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #326
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer
 
Pete-NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
As a matter of interest how many times have you used your 348 in competition, and what leads you to thinking that a clutch conversion is needed on it?
LOL.... your question has a shade of smart in it... but to answer question "50 metres"
I will answer the 2nd part aswell ..
I need a lighter clutch so it's easyer to use while standing...I can use it as is.. but
lighter would make it easyer...
__________________
Here.... my XR250 leaner side car build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716993

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 04:16 AM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #327
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Why not fit a new cable and extend the operating arm, then try the bike in competition and see how it works out? I owned 348 and 349 Monts back in the day, and if I was riding one today altering the chopper steering, and getting the suspension working better would be things I would be thinking of doing.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #328
Sting32
Trials Evangelist
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis, Ks
Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
LOL.... your question has a shade of smart in it... but to answer question "50 metres"
I will answer the 2nd part aswell ..
I need a lighter clutch so it's easyer to use while standing...I can use it as is.. but
lighter would make it easyer...
Pete,

Mods we did in the heyday was to add 1/2 inch or there abouts, to the clutch arms at the transmission, more leverage means slightly easier pulling. Get new cables, they have more "slippery" (teflon? inserts) plus load them up with some good (become dry powdery) lubes. Make extra care to keep cables from making even remotely sharp turns... then also you can buy lever & perch combo that adds leverage at your fingers end of the cables.

Problem I find is, then it can be tedious to get enough slack to fully enguage clutch, yet enough movement at the arm at tranny area, to disenguage clutch, if you go too far on the bottom arm.

but it is all fine tunable. Then, get one of those hand squeezing things and build up your fingers, lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #329
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Very easy way to get a good clutch pull on older bike is to fit hydraulic clutch conversion intended for pit bike. Would probably need a longer hose, but they are very cheap and need no adjustment once fitted and set up properly.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #330
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer
 
Pete-NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 627
[QUOTE=Sting32;19247296]Pete,
Then, get one of those hand squeezing things and build up your fingers, lol.[/QUOT
__________________
Here.... my XR250 leaner side car build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716993

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 01:36 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014