User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Review: Renazco Racing Seat for the KTM LC4 Adventure

Last weekend I ventured up to wine country north of San Francisco to visit the notorious James aka "boejangles" Renazco.

The purposes of the visit were many: saturday I was having my bike all fixed up under warranty (et al) at Scuderia West in SF (great KTM shop - they helped me out with problems from another shop ), visiting with Mrs. Popsicle's brother and his wife up yonder, and of course meeting up with James for seat building, bike wrenchin', and even a little yard work?

So before I get to the interesting part, lemme recount the journey because half the fun is just getting there... well, usually. Mrs. Pop was meeting me at Scuderia West to give me a ride to James' place and we ran into eachother at the 7th St offramp of the 80 (SF folks will know this is a bit off coming from the South Bay), well luckily we both made the same mistake cause we met up at the offramp light and we pulled off the road to find the route to the shop.

I pulled up against the curb and proceeded to dismount, swinging my leg over the back before putting the bike up on the center stand (no side stand). Well as I did the bike suddenly came towards me and surprised I went to step my other foot away from the bike to brace the movement only to find the curb was up against the side of my foot! So now both me and the bike are headed over and I think "Crap my leg is gonna get crushed" but pulling my leg out only finds that my food is caught on the curb as well...

CRUNCH! Sorry no pics...

The pain was not overwhealming but it grew. I extricate myself, get the bike up and then proceed to test my ankle more and more as Mrs. Pop comes over and asks me WTF am I doing... Well it turns out that my ankle doesnt seem broken, just strained from being twisted between the bike and the curb and my heel was crushed by some protruding part that has left a nasty bruise and an ache deep inside that caused me to limp for a few days. I finally figure out that I had forgotten I was testing out a bicycle tail bag for the first time: my foot must have caught it swinging over the bike

Anyways, the bike gets dropped off at the shop and we head up to James' to try and forget my blunder We have a nice chat with James and his wife, show off our spawn and then my wife heads over to her brother's while James and I head to the garage Well I did some bike work, and James wrestled with the suede for my new seat (stuff is tough!) and explained his saddle work. We exchanged stories and lies and laughs (James is a very nice fella) and had a good time... am I taking too long here?

OK, ok, after getting completely drenched in the East Bay on the way home (better than the tornado that was crossing the penninsula ) here is the bike with the new seat:

note the slope is almost completely gone I am 6'4" or more and I can deal with height, but I can't deal with pulling my ginch outa my butt every hour!

It kinda reminds me of the rallye's seat, here is my comparison blend of the 640a and the 660r:

well its messy, but note the seat differences. I was surprised that the 660r isn't that much taller - guess they made the 640a slope to accomodate shorter folks. I think that it makes the bike uncomfortable...

But no longer thanks to the Renazco Racing Custom Seat by Ronco!
(actually not by Ronco... and no animals were harmed in the making of this post sorry, 3 hours of baby crying has got me a bit looney)

Another shot of the lack of slope (sorry about the blur):

Anyways, the shaping is excellent! As you can see James all but filled in the slope. He also widened the rear portion of the saddle while keeping the front narrow

Baby's got back!

But not overly so like those "cupped" cruiser seats I have seen on some bikes:

What more do you need to know? Several types of foam, all sealed up waterproof underneath the THICK suede that is backed where sewn (I saw much of the assembly and was lectured about types of foam profusely Just kidding James, I appreciated the schooling! ).

The ride home was about 2 hours of freeway drag (I-880 ) and my seating didn't bother me a bit! I usually tighten my thighs occasionally to let the blood thru on the old seat - I didn't find myself doing this as often. I did some standing and the front is great - no problems. With the suede grip will not be a problem.

Black suede with orange stitching - a good combo for the 03 I think. Thanks again James!!!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
looks great!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
And the longer you ride... the more you appriciate it. Give James a big wet for me.

Looks just like mine... but ah, blacker.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Looks great Meat Bike is looking good as well.

What is up with the green sticker? Do you need it to ride state parks?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Looks great Meat Bike is looking good as well.

What is up with the green sticker? Do you need it to ride state parks?
Thanks Passmore! I guess I dont' need to ride state/county parks but there is one or two close and I need the practice. I only hit them up at first opening for an hour or so because the MXers are showing up and getting suited up. Those boys are park hogs! Plus dual registration is only $35 a year - support your OHV system!

Old 03-23-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
And the longer you ride... the more you appriciate it. Give James a big wet for me.

Looks just like mine... but ah, blacker.
you going grey then? Maybe two tone?

Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #7
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Mrs. Pop comes over and asks me WTF am I doing...

They have a geat way of doing that don't they? I was working on my bike in the garage which is attached to the house. Bike fell over pinning me under it. I could just reach a ratchet handle which I used to bang on the wall to get the attention of Mrs KTiM who was in the house. After what seemed like an age of banging I gave up and pulled my leg out causing even more pain.

Limped into the house to ask why Mrs KTiM hadn't come to my rescue but before I could say anything was told "Can you make less noise banging in the garage - I'm trying to watch TV and it's starting to annoy me!!"
Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Here's another vote for James' work. More slope than Meat's (for my 32" inseam), but real comfy...

ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Thanks Passmore! I guess I dont' need to ride state/county parks but there is one or two close and I need the practice. I only hit them up at first opening for an hour or so because the MXers are showing up and getting suited up. Those boys are park hogs! Plus dual registration is only $35 a year - support your OHV system!
I was under the (misguided?) impression that if your bike was licensed (i.e. - license plate), then no green sticker is needed? True or no? I have not ridden a sttate place but likely will so I would like to be prepped prior...
Old 03-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
I was under the (misguided?) impression that if your bike was licensed (i.e. - license plate), then no green sticker is needed? True or no? I have not ridden a sttate place but likely will so I would like to be prepped prior...
good point - not sure what dual registration is for then... you can call Hollister Hills or Carnegie or some OHV park and ask.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #11
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM

They have a geat way of doing that don't they? I was working on my bike in the garage which is attached to the house. Bike fell over pinning me under it. I could just reach a ratchet handle which I used to bang on the wall to get the attention of Mrs KTiM who was in the house. After what seemed like an age of banging I gave up and pulled my leg out causing even more pain.

Limped into the house to ask why Mrs KTiM hadn't come to my rescue but before I could say anything was told "Can you make less noise banging in the garage - I'm trying to watch TV and it's starting to annoy me!!"

maybe we need a thread of such nonsense? be real therapeudic...

Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Phatty

Wow that appears to be fatter at the back than my boejangles. Maybe I need a second seat for those REALLY long tours.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Wow that appears to be fatter at the back than my boejangles. Maybe I need a second seat for those REALLY long tours.
It's the latest version... the super touring model (or something like that). A little more support, but not so much that it gets in the way in "da doit".
Old 03-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #14
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb Nice seat!!!!

Looks great with the skid plate

James does great work.

-A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #15
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
Looks great with the skid plate

James does great work.

-A
that's a hint.

(ahem) hiya boss! the bike was finally fixed - picked it up saturday eve. sunday was a work day with james and we didnt get to ride

I will have to try to get somewhere to finish that skidplate review ASAP. Easter weekend is full of family so... I am doing the best I can here. too long eh?