Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #2206
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A reasonable set-up fee is also not a bad thing if they are actually thorough and fixing things that may have been missed or overlooked at the factory.
Wow, you're putting a lot of faith in the mechanics in the back of the dealerships.

My general point of view is that these extra fees are completely bogus. If there is a $495 delivery fee for every motorcycle, add that to the MSRP. If the dealership needs to take an hour to assemble the bike, add that labor to the MSRP. Another 2 hours to go over every bolt? Add that to the MSRP.

If it's left up to the dealerships, the numbers will get fudged, not by all, but by enough to cause every reasonable person to try to haggle them down.

Milk must be shipped to the grocery store, but you don't see a delivery fee on that. Some employee had to take it from the truck, and set it on the shelf, yet there is no setup charge. Why? It's incorporated into the cost... like just about every other product on the planet, except vehicles.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #2207
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,634
Just took a look at one at my local dealer (it had a sold sign on it so no test rides). Let's hope it is better to ride than look at - very underwhelmed.

They did have a very nice low mileage 1150 Adv though. If I was working I would probably have bought it.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #2208
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo View Post
I am guessing that this dealer is located somewhat in the area of Coors Field ...

Might want to try the ones in Lakewood or Loveland.
After a long run this morning on the west side of town, stopped by Foothills BMW in Lakewood and there they have a demo Explorer.

Had a quick talk with one of the salesmen and they have launch pack Explorers coming in May.

$16,999 plus $539 shipping and $329 prep. He quickly said to me that he's got 'room to work with'.

He invited me to demo the Explorer and I said that early next week, I'll stop on by with gear and give the Explorer a thirty mile ride up I-70 through the hills and back.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2209
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
FYI Owners Manual if you don't have one http://assets1.triumphmotorcycles.co..._OHB_UK_EN.pdf

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #2210
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
FYI Owners Manual if you don't have one http://assets1.triumphmotorcycles.co..._OHB_UK_EN.pdf

Thanks for the manual, Voluhzia. This is by far the most useful info to date in this thread.

I spoke with my dealer this morning. The first one he ordered (sold) came in this past week and the next one (mine) is still schedualed for mid May.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #2211
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Thumb

Sold after a test ride. Looking forward to putting some miles on it.

IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #2212
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
A reasonable set-up fee is also not a bad thing if they are actually thorough and fixing things that may have been missed or overlooked at the factory.

From everything I have read, the triples as shipped have not always been dialed in as well as they could have been. If this is something that is addressed by the dealership then I think a reasonable fee is not outside of acceptable fees.

These things are assembled by humans and as such mistakes can be made. A good tech will catch them before the bike gets put on the showroom floor.
True this. I bought my Rocket Roadster from a car dealer who was new to bikes and there were a lot of flaws on my bike. Left side panel incorrectly installed, starter and turn signal relays not in their mounts, paint flaws, peeling badges, not all hoses hooked up to charcoal cannister, and front wheel ABS sensor incorrectly mounted. Plus, even though I went over the bike checking nuts and bolts, I still lost both right side fender bolts and an exhaust cover bolt. Unless you have a good Triumph dealer I STRONGLY recomend going over any new model Triumph upon delivery.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #2213
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
thanks for the pics rhinowerx

congratulations on your new explorer rhinowerx . and you picked the color that i will order for myself . black is the way to go on most bikes in my humble opinion . thank you for posting the clear and clean hirez pictures of your black explorer . good pics of a black explorer are scarce on the net . even the triumph website has only one or two black explorer pics and they are not that good . plus the triumph site mostly displays their black explorers with the mismatched silver colored luggage . a poor decision . your bike looks great . i cannot wait to ride my new black explorer away from my local new york triumph dealer . my luggage of choice is two 45 liter max panniers from metal mule in the uk . i will use a 45 liter box on both sides of the explorer . i will not use a top box because i think they look goofy on a motorcycle and make the explorer even more top heavy . my two 45 liter metal mule panniers will be specially powder coated all black on top and bottom to match the black explorer . we are talking huge money for this luggage but they will be worthy of this fine triumph explorer . the two 45 liter panniers will stick out wide but i don't care - i can carry two helmets , rain suits , bike covers , tools and anything else in a locked down all black aluminum luggage system totaling 90 liters . the updated metal mule web site has a section for the explorer here :

Shop | Metal Mule

i will see you at the triumph rally some day
doggrell3000
new york ny
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #2214
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Wow, you're putting a lot of faith in the mechanics in the back of the dealerships.
Why yes I do... But then again I don't work at just any dealership.

I work for Latus Motors. Team Latus has a long and rich history and has a very good reputation for performance enhancements.

And to get backon track...

This thing is going to do well.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #2215
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Other than "Metal Mule" mentioned above, are there any other MFGs making hard luggage for the Explorer yet. I just glanced at SW-Motech and Touratech - didn't see anything...

I didn't really see the OEM offerings for luggage on Triumph's website....

I'll repeat again, I test rode the Tenere, the 800 and the XC back then and nothing clicked, along with GS(A)s - just for comparison. Well, after Explorer, something definitely clicked, and it did big time. If Explorer is going to be as reliable as my Strom, it damn worth the money...

Anybody, where is all aftermarket stuff? I want farkles!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #2216
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Other than "Metal Mule" mentioned above, are there any other MFGs making hard luggage for the Explorer yet. I just glanced at SW-Motech and Touratech - didn't see anything...

Got an email from Jesse Luggage on April 16, and he said it would be 3 weeks till his mounting rails would be available.

On the Triumph site, go to BUILD YOUR OWN TRIUMPH and cycle through all the options and you will see their boxes.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #2217
Fun Lovin' Criminal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Had a test ride on one yesterday - fuck me that's quick! It'll get 2 people and a lot of gear a long way in a short space of time.

However, I won't be buying. To me this sort of bike has to be able to make it up the mountain at the Stella Alpina in Northern Italy (see youtube link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITucSZ7bxI&feature=fvst

It would get to Italy faster and in more comfort than anything I've ever owned, but that fly-by-wire throttle would see it launch itself off the side of the mountain when you reach the switchbacks (see 1:40ish on the video)

Great bike, but not for me.
Fun Lovin' Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #2218
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Lovin' Criminal View Post
Had a test ride on one yesterday - fuck me that's quick! It'll get 2 people and a lot of gear a long way in a short space of time.

However, I won't be buying. To me this sort of bike has to be able to make it up the mountain at the Stella Alpina in Northern Italy (see youtube link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITucSZ7bxI&feature=fvst

It would get to Italy faster and in more comfort than anything I've ever owned, but that fly-by-wire throttle would see it launch itself off the side of the mountain when you reach the switchbacks (see 1:40ish on the video)

Great bike, but not for me.
I'm really not sure what your point is The throttle, like other things on a new bike, just need a little time to adjust to. I have no doubt a Tigger would make it up that hill with little issue.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #2219
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 322
Quote:

Anybody, where is all aftermarket stuff? I want farkles!
On my GS's I've had Jesse bags, Touratech special systems and ordinary ones, genuine 1150 ADV luggage, 1200 ADV bags, Verns, Ard Cases ( both uk only I think)

I've bought a pair of Givi Trekker 33L bags.... the nice thing is that each one could be used as a top case as well... very comparable in price to the OEM offerings from Triumph... As a top case not to big either

Will be spacious enough for a 2 week euro trip I think

Just waiting on Givi to produce the frames

Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #2220
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Yes, that so light throttle and quick response - are there any other modes? I thought I was in SPORT mode when I tested it.

I tried to reach Cruise Control ON/OFF button and pulled the throttle a little - bike reach 100 in no time.

Are the different modes, like LOOSE GRAVEL SWITCH BACK mode?