Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #646
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
It depends what is failing and how it fails.

If it leaves you stranded then it would piss me off. If something like the electronic fuel lock failed, and all that meant was that you had to strain your little used, atrophied muscles to insert a key and turn it manually then fine.
As I understand it there is nowhere to insert a key and override the electronic system. If it fails you're screwed - and that one point, in itself, has scared me off the Multi. I know there is some fail-safe in place where you have to enter a PIN code in an allotted time to get the beast running. But if you're going to put a useless (to me) system like keyless start on a bike why the hell wouldn't you have a place to insert a key and override any potential electronic glitches? Poor planning on their part IMHO.

Oh, and I TOTALLY agree with you on the cruise control point - a USEFUL use of technology - sometimes you just have to plow down some miles to get to the fun stuff.

Another reason the Explorer has my interests peaked so highly - it seems they are putting the tech where it's most useful on this bike - THAT I like!
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.

creggur screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 05:35 PM
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #647
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
As I understand it there is nowhere to insert a key and override the electronic system. If it fails you're screwed - and that one point, in itself, has scared me off the Multi. If you're going to put a useless (to me) system like keyless start on a bike why the hell wouldn't you have a place to insert a key and override any potential electronic glitches? Poor planning on their part IMHO.
Sorry, that's right, it was too expensive to put a key lock on the cheap Italian bike.
I can understand with the prices they charge why they would have to cut corners.

Anyway that particular item is just an option for very spoiled little princes isn't it?
Just don't tick that box. Haven't been following the minutiae on the MTS much.

Great fun bike, Way better than a crotch rocket for blasting around in the real world.but way too over the top for me.

Anyway back to the Tigger....Sorry folks

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #648
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
As I understand it there is nowhere to insert a key and override the electronic system. If it fails you're screwed - and that one point, in itself, has scared me off the Multi. I know there is some fail-safe in place where you have to enter a PIN code in an allotted time to get the beast running. But if you're going to put a useless (to me) system like keyless start on a bike why the hell wouldn't you have a place to insert a key and override any potential electronic glitches? Poor planning on their part IMHO.
Same reason I halted the purchase of a Multi in the final stage.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #649
creggur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Sorry, that's right, it was too expensive to put a key lock on the cheap Italian bike.
I can understand with the prices they charge why they would have to cut corners.

Anyway that particular item is just an option for very spoiled little princes isn't it?
Just don't tick that box. Haven't been following the minutiae on the MTS much.

Great fun bike, Way better than a crotch rocket for blasting around in the real world.but way too over the top for me.

Anyway back to the Tigger....Sorry folks
I misread - I thought you were talking about the keyless start (useless to me), but you were talking about the keyless gas cap opener (even more useless to me) - either way it's silly and needless tech on a motorcycle (to me).

And now back to the subject at hand.... The Explorer is pushing all the right buttons, and I can't wait to see one in person!
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #650
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I had my first failure on my "new" (post recall) wireless setup on my Multi today. I have had it on for 1200 miles. The original was flakey. The new seems to be just as flakey. Fortunately you can enter your code, so you aren't stranded. I think my blackberry may mess with it, but it's just a base model phone too, which I need to carry.

I don't understand the feature. I still need the key to open the luggage, get my tools out of the tool compartment to open the luggage (latch sticks on the top box), open the fuel cap... Not sure how the wireless key is a useful feature.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #651
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,850
Multi!

Who gives a shite!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #652
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 350
Oi! This is the Tiger thread - do your Multistrada snivelling over in the Multistrada threadfest.

Anyway, I went to the NEC bike show yesterday and sat on the Explorer - it seemed neat and well laid out, but the seat was in the low position and it was just too low, but I felt the same thing with the 1050 Tiger I used to own, and put the taller gel seat on it which improved things no end. Test bikes will be in UK showrooms around February, so I'll reserve judgement till then, but it looks a good bike from my first look.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #653
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,522
Dealer vid. Short and sweet. Looks damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOsXy...layer_embedded
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #654
creggur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbadog View Post
Oi! Test bikes will be in UK showrooms around February, so I'll reserve judgement till then, but it looks a good bike from my first look.
Lucky Bastards! I'm sure it will be months later for us on this side of the pond. Can't wait to read some inmates' opinions after the test rides!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #655
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbadog View Post
Oi! This is the Tiger thread - do your Multistrada snivelling over in the Multistrada threadfest...
You are SO right...as the instigator of the Multistrada "sniveling" I officially declare it to cease and desist.

This Multistrada 1200S owner is VERY interested in the new Explorer. It's got the ONE thing I'm ticked at Ducati for not putting on a TBW bike: cruise control. Very useful for us in the western USA. When I bought the MTS the big-bore ADV-style offerings were much slimmer. The Explorer (and S10, for that matter) are closer to what I was looking for. The R12 GS is just too big for me.

Finally, the comment about the "low" seating position sounds good to this 5-8 rider! Can't wait to see the Explorer in person.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW
2000 Kawasaki KLX300R
1992 Ducati 900SS
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #656
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,850
Plane Green!

Looks like competition for the GSA with larger windscreen, crash guards,extra lights etc. Maybe a bigger tank. Gotta get rid of that tank bag and top box though.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #657
creggur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
You are SO right...as the instigator of the Multistrada "sniveling" I officially declare it to cease and desist.

This Multistrada 1200S owner is VERY interested in the new Explorer. It's got the ONE thing I'm ticked at Ducati for not putting on a TBW bike: cruise control. Very useful for us in the western USA. When I bought the MTS the big-bore ADV-style offerings were much slimmer. The Explorer (and S10, for that matter) are closer to what I was looking for. The R12 GS is just too big for me.

Finally, the comment about the "low" seating position sounds good to this 5-8 rider! Can't wait to see the Explorer in person.

--Doc
I think I may have started it, and it does play into the conversation about USEFUL tech being incorporated into the bike. The Explorer seems to be approaching it from the; "What do riders in this segment need?" as opposed to, "What's something we can stick on the bike no one else has?" perspective.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #658
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
The Explorer seems to be approaching it from the; "What do riders in this segment need?" as opposed to, "What's something we can stick on the bike no one else has?" perspective.
My thoughts exactly.

Usually I feel most electronics are things I'm just going to have to find a way to bypass. Looks like Triumph allows us to bypass ABS if/when needed (hopefully they allow us to do it on the fly to one up BMW, but I won't hold my breath). Traction control, never had it, but I like the OPTION of trying it. I still have the choice to use front or rear brake only whenever I want. Cruise control can only be helpful, as well as the display readout for MPG, temp etc.

For a high tech bike they've found a balance I think I'm happy with.

Of course I feel like I'm also getting a bit softer/spoiled when it comes to nice things on bikes . I can't believe I was intrigued at the idea of a heated seat but why not if the bike has the juice?

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #659
creggur

And with 950 watts available, why not? It's not like a heated seat not working will strand you.
It may be silly, but the Flash2Pass garage door opener my wife got me for Christmas last year is absolute tits! And will be promptly transfered to the next bike.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #660
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I think I may have started it, and it does play into the conversation about USEFUL tech being incorporated into the bike. The Explorer seems to be approaching it from the; "What do riders in this segment need?" as opposed to, "What's something we can stick on the bike no one else has?" perspective.
Exactly. The Multistrada is 100% relevant ... as are the latest BMW's with adjustable everything. Triumph could go down this super high tech road with the Explorer ... will they? Should they? Thoughts?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote