Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #1291
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good post Jud and good points. Nice to see someone aware of Yam's history with shaft drive. Funny ... they don't blow their horn about just how bullet proof their shaft drive systems have been over the years. Only problems I've ever heard about was on some V-Max Drag bikes. They did break some stuff.

Maybe they could just re-invent this 1976 beast and Adventurise it. .

One of my favorites I couldn't afford back in the day..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #1292
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Very cool bike. Friends in L.A. had a Yamaha Triple club. I met a few of the gang when they rode up from L.A. to Laguna Seca for the races. There bikes were pristine and very tricked out ... for those years. (1978-79) Never did get to ride one.

I was riding a '75 Honda 400-4 at the time. Also, very cool bike, but a troublesome motor. I bought my 400-4 used. It had been down but I fixed it up. Toured all over California and Baja on it. Valve and cam chain troubles back then ... and gummed up carbs if it ever sat. My Triumph TR-6 Desert sled was the better bike and quite good off road ... but that in-line Four Honda had a nice character ... sort of like today's 675 triple.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #1293
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
I have a DL650 that's I've heavily modded and was thinking real hard about selling it for what ever I could get and getting the Tiger 800. Now that the Yamaha and Triumph have come out with 1200 Adv bikes I'm thinking hard about nixing the T800 idea, keeping the DL650 and modding it even further into a real Adventure tourer as I figure there is no need for a shiny new bike when you know it will just get dropped in the dirt.

But,,,, I'm dying to get something to replace my beloved FJR for long haul, two up duty and while the Yammy and the Explorer are both terrible heavy, they will do dirt roads better than my FJR while hopefully offering much more comfort and wind protection than the DL did. I hate wasting money so I generally buy used and I'll have to see which of these two bikes will get my money. I'm hoping a heavily modded XR650L and a DL650 can take care of the dirt side and the winner between the Tenere and the Explorer can take of the two-up long haul stuff. We'll see I reckon but I for one am am absolutely ecstatic that more manufacturers are jumping into this end of the pool with both feet!

Now if we could just talk Kawasaki and Suzuki into it.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #1294
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post

Now if we could just talk Kawasaki and Suzuki into it.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #1295
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 240
But,,,, I'm dying to get something to replace my beloved FJR for long haul, two up duty and while the Yammy and the Explorer are both terrible heavy, they will do dirt roads better than my FJR while hopefully offering much more comfort and wind protection than the DL did.

Had an FJR and great bike could do big miles on it with ease but this tenere I have

Only thing I think I would like more is the honda crosstourer with DCT. Had the VFR with DCT and have to say I'm a fan of it.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #1296
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:

I always thought Yamaha was on to something back then and should have kept developing that bike. A friend of mine had one and it seemed to work pretty dang well.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #1297
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I have a DL650 that's I've heavily modded and was thinking real hard about selling it for what ever I could get and getting the Tiger 800. Now that the Yamaha and Triumph have come out with 1200 Adv bikes I'm thinking hard about nixing the T800 idea, keeping the DL650 and modding it even further into a real Adventure tourer as I figure there is no need for a shiny new bike when you know it will just get dropped in the dirt.

But,,,, I'm dying to get something to replace my beloved FJR for long haul, two up duty and while the Yammy and the Explorer are both terrible heavy, they will do dirt roads better than my FJR while hopefully offering much more comfort and wind protection than the DL did.
I replaced both a DL650 and a FJR with a Super Tenere and while the new bike does VERY good at both the adventure role and the pavement touring role, I think the DL is a little better pure adventure machine (lighter, simpler, less to break), and the FJR is a little better pavement touring bike (faster, smoother, better weather protection). I'd think the new Explorer would be about the same as the S10, perhaps a little more to the pavement side of things.

I wanted to reduce the herd and have a single bike that could do both types of riding on the same trip, but if you're riding is segregated into adventure rides and pavement rides and you don't mind having two bikes, I'd just keep what you have. The Wee and FJR are both GREAT bikes and great compliments to one another.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #1298
Punchdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I also just saw the Tiger 1200 at the IMS show in NY on Saturday. I picked up a new Super Tenere a few weeks ago for a steal during the winter doldrums. I had been considering both bikes for the past several months. I was very glad with the choice I made. The tiger didn't strike me as having near the same build quality as the Yamaha. It also seemed a bit unfinished as others have said. The Yamaha seemed much more comfortable..easier on the knees and reach. I also felt the reliability, ease/infrequency of maintenance, dealer network and value checked bigger boxes with the Yamaha. The Yamaha so far seems to do everything well and is great fun. I'm interested to see the upcoming comparisons of all these ADV bikes. But no remorse on my end after seeing/sitting on one in person. YMMV.

Now I'm not a Triumph basher by any means. I've had a Sprint ST and a Tiger 1050 in the past and they were both great bikes. The Yami just strikes me as the better all around package. Good luck to all new potential Tiger owners. It's great to have so many choices in this segment these days.
Punchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #1299
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchdude View Post
I picked up a new Super Tenere a few weeks ago
Punchdude - you don't have to bash the 1200 to justify your purchase - congratulations on the Yamaha - now please move to that thread!

You pulled the trigger before ever even seeing - let alone riding or even worse evaluating the 1200 Triumph.

At this point you have no idea if you made the right decision or not!! You have no idea about the power, suspension, or handling of the 1200 Tiger.

Doesn't mean you can't be happy with the 1200 Yamaha - just means you are not qualified to compare it to the 1200 Tiger.

Same as I am not qualified to compare my V-Strom to your ST.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #1300
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,292
I think its been said a couple times before, but it keeps coming up - the Explorer making the rounds at the motorcycle show is a mock-up, doesn't run, and is certainly not representative of the final product in areas like fit/finish.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1301
TEN YC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I think its been said a couple times before, but it keeps coming up - the Explorer making the rounds at the motorcycle show is a mock-up, doesn't run, and is certainly not representative of the final product in areas like fit/finish.

- Mark
I attended the show in new York this weekend. since you have mentioned this before, I specifically asked the triumph reps there if the tiger explorer there was a final product. They told me without hesitation that it was a final product and that it was fully functional. If you have other information or evidence to the contrary, please present it. Otherwise, there is no reason to believe that what you are saying is factual.
TEN YC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #1302
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:

- Mark
That sounds more like an urban legend brought up on forums like this then actual facts.

Yes, the final ones will likely be ver so slightly different when they come out of mass production, but I don't believe a moment that a company like Triumph would put a mock of something they want to sell 6 months later on a show and let people sit on it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #1303
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That sounds more like an urban legend brought up on forums like this then actual facts.

Yes, the final ones will likely be ver so slightly different when they come out of mass production, but I don't believe a moment that a company like Triumph would put a mock of something they want to sell 6 months later on a show and let people sit on it.
Hey, Mark has his reasons and some sales reps sometimes fib a bit.

I know that might shock some people, but hey, I had to get it out there.

Wait until they are selling the things, then go and ride one.

You both have a chance of being right.

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 08:30 PM
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #1304
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Wait until they are selling the things, then go and ride one.

You both have a chance of being right.
Sure, I can see that point - I plain can't believe it. I'll likely not ride the final Tiger Explorer as I'm rather looking into downsizing from my GS - not upsizing.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #1305
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 862
Quote:

- Mark
I got up close to the Explorer12 at the San Mateo show and while it may not be set up to run, it is most certainly representative of what Triumph will sell later this Spring. Why would Triumph bother to bring something to the show circuit, allowing people to climb aboard it, if it was something they weren't comfortable having the public get close to? They would have put on a roped-off pedestal.

Saso is offline   Reply With Quote