User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
V-Tom OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Tourance (non Exp) VS Tourance Next Tires

(If there is a relevant thread that already exists I would appreciate a pointer to it.)

I have used over 14 Tourance (non-exp) rear tires on my two V-Strom DL650's and over 5 fronts. I rather like them.

Have any of you switched from the Tourance (non-exp) to the tourance Next?

What are you impressions? Highway, twisties, unpaved roads? How is the tread wear going compared to the Orignal Tourance?

Thanks!

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
V-Tom OP
Studly Adventurer

Anybody?

..Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 06-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Steiney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I too was a fan of the standard Tourance (particularly over the EXP). Just switched to Avon Distanzia on my GS. Can't speak for mileage yet but the wet/dry grip is just as good and so far they're better on gravel & dirt. Sorry, no experience with Next but food for thought...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
ipetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Tourance Next is both better handling and has better life than the EXP did. I have one up front, and as soon as I wear out the regular old Tourance rear put on by the PO, a Next is coming on. Winner of Motorrads big test of dual sport tyres in 2013 (or was it 2012?), beating the Dunlop Trailmax TR21(?) on lifespan. Others were trailing far behind, especially in wet performance and/or tyre life... It's not the cheapest tyre, but you get your money's worth with this one!
ipetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
V-Tom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipetter View Post
Tourance Next is both better handling and has better life than the EXP did. I have one up front, and as soon as I wear out the regular old Tourance rear put on by the PO, a Next is coming on. Winner of Motorrads big test of dual sport tyres in 2013 (or was it 2012?), beating the Dunlop Trailmax TR21(?) on lifespan. Others were trailing far behind, especially in wet performance and/or tyre life... It's not the cheapest tyre, but you get your money's worth with this one!
Did the reviews give any sense of tire life vs the non-Exp toruance?

I generally use two and sometime three rear tires a year. I don't mind spending more if the life is close to non-Exp, but dont' want to get into three and sometimes four tires a year when I only do 25,000 to 35,000 miles per year.

..Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
ipetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
No, the regular old Tourance hasn't been included in these tests since it was replaced by the EXP, and later the Next.

Life is better than the EXP, and if memory serves me correct it beat all the other tyres in the test too. These were: Michelin Anakee 3, Dunlop Trailmax TR91, Pirelli Scorpion Trail, Continental TrailAttack 2 and a Bridgestone of some sort. I think that was all of them...
ipetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
hart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Tourance Next

Just switched had one up front and just changed the rear to match... Just before a trip down to the twisties...Back and tail of the dragon etc.. Heavy rain... The Next are much better handling and rain tire never felt so dialed in... GSA 1200 2012 was amazing rode the crap out of them with no twitches..here's a look from Deals Gap.... Drat file too big.. ill try and figure it out...
Attached Images

hart screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 09:34 AM
hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
I also had good memories of the original Tourances, but spent quite some time on Michelins since. Really liked the Anakee 2s but unhappy with my first set of Anakee 3s. Fronts lasting much shorter than the rear, and triangulated badly for me - already changed one front and ratio looks like two fronts to one rear when it's usually been the other way around.

Want to go back to Metzlers again and it's between the Original Tourance and Next now... I'm mostly a street guy.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
V-Tom OP
Studly Adventurer

I had front and rear Tourance Next installed last night on my 2012 DL650 V-Strom. I now have about 100 miles on them.

Initial impressions are that the tires are more sporty feeling. I always have that felling like the rear is steering a bit when you replace worn out flat spotted rears for new, rounder rubber but this time it was much more dramatic. The bike feels like it wants to turn much more than it did with the normal Tourances. This is very noticeable on slow speed turns and probably relates to different profiles between standard Tourance and Next. On my way home last night I went on some unpaved roads to scrub the tires a bit and probably rode about 10 km/6 miles on gravel. The tires didn't really seem any different than the regular ones riding straight at speeds up to about 70 mph on loose gravel (the loose stuff between the tire tracks.) The tires do feel a bit more compliant on bumps but that is a small effect and could be a bit psychological. On the highway part of my ride they felt fine.. not nervous. and stable hands off with crosswinds etc (same as the regular Tourances.)

I wasn't confident I scrubbed the tires enough last night to go fast on any ramps on my way to work but my early impression is that they will turn in even easier than the regular ones. I should be able to talk about that over the next few days. I don't know if I will get out to any twisties. I might not be able to get much riding in so a report on that might have to wait.

So far I like them and while I haven't pushed them in twisites or had rain or snow my initial feeling is that if they last similar to the regular Toruance I would keep using them., If they wear much faster I would go back to regular.

All these opinions could change after spending more time with them.

..Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 09-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
davesride
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question next impression

Hey VTom, now that you have a week or two..... thoughts? I am looking at either going with the Michelin PR4$ or the Metz Tourance Next. Wandering about expected life. A buddy of mine will get 30,000 out of an original Tourance, I get 20,000. This means the biggest regulator of tread, chain and sprocket life is your right hand and driving conditions. I know you get great chain life, but you also spend major time commuting, which means easy on and off throttle, which will give better chain, tire and sprocket life. Thoughts?. I am also on stromtrooper and facebook... Vstrom.
davesride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
V-Tom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesride View Post
Hey VTom, now that you have a week or two..... thoughts? I am looking at either going with the Michelin PR4$ or the Metz Tourance Next. Wandering about expected life. A buddy of mine will get 30,000 out of an original Tourance, I get 20,000. This means the biggest regulator of tread, chain and sprocket life is your right hand and driving conditions. I know you get great chain life, but you also spend major time commuting, which means easy on and off throttle, which will give better chain, tire and sprocket life. Thoughts?. I am also on stromtrooper and facebook... Vstrom.
I posted the following in a thread at Stromtrooper:

----

I have only put about 5,300 km/3,300 miles on my Tourance Next so far.

I still feel they are great in pretty much everything they do. I have not yet seen the low speed waggle yet and think with what looks like a narrower profile they might not do that. They seem to work well in the rain and feel similar to the standard Tourance on gravel. They do give a very strong feeling of confidence and that makes me want to sit up against the gas tank and crank it in twisties. At low speeds they do not feel quite as stable.. ie hands off at 20 or 30 kph doesn't feel so good. I think they are also slightly less stable in high crosswinds.. not a bother but just noticed the bike seems to move around a bit more than the regular ones.

There is the start of noticeable wear in the middle of the tread. I don't recall if it is similar wear on the rear to what I would have expected on the regular ones. If the rear lasts to somewhere around 20,000 km I will be happy and would re-order the same.

---

I like it!

..Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,450
Tom, I ran a set of tourance nexts on my trip west, the rear made the entire trip, but has worn very flat, and the long grooves in the tread seem to accentuate that. I was two up for 2 of the 4 weeks, and did about 8000 miles, most of the miles were on 2 lane in the pacific northwest and BC, with lots of chipseal pavement. Also some dirt/gravel roads, but nothing severe. I really pushed them on the nice roads on the backside of mt st Helens, riding them right to the edge, and they performed very well.
as for mileage compared to the original tourance? I don't know, maybe a little better. I DO like the original tourance better for the gravel.
The front tire still looks great, nice even wear, very little cupping, and being 2 up, I was doing some heavy braking in to those downhill curves!
I think I'll run the originals for my local riding, not sure if I'll put another set of the nexts on for my next trip west or not, might research the mich. anakee 3's, some good mileage reports coming out about those, at least for the rear. I also noticed that lots of guys I saw riding out west were running the heidenaus, so that might be an option also.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote