Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #196
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
[QUOTE
_
Quick question. Can one purchase Roto-pax at Walmart or Sams, or other such stores?
_No, best I could find was searching on line or e-bay
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #197
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
I figured I might as well throw it out there....

Here is a system that give you a modular mount for a 2 liter fuel bottle:

SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Base Plate - Mounts to any flat surface and gives you the ability to remove the holder from your case when not in use.

SW-Motech Quick-Lock Fuel Canister Accessory Mount For TraX Alu-BOX Cases

- Includes everything in this picture plus a pouring spout.

Page Links:
  1. Base Plate
  2. Fuel Bottle and Carrier
Wow! I first thought this is great that someone else finally came out with competition for Touratech's quick-lock system because it'll be quite a bit cheaper. Then I clicked on the link and nearly shit my pants. I never thought I'd see the day when Touratech actually made the less expensive part.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #198
DarkFlames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Rotopax on Tiger xc

Does anybody know if a Rotopax could fit behind the Triumph soft tail bag on a Tiger 800xc?

The bag installs on the rearmost portion of the seat and I wonder whether it's location would leave enough room on the rack behind the seat. Any input is appreciated.
DarkFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #199
Michael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I love this forum - so many ingenious ideas for carrying fuel.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #200
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Yamaha TW200 with 2 1 gallon Rotopax fuel cans with the standard Rotopax mount bolted to the Cycle Rack pannier bracket.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #201
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
One liter MSR bottle under left Saddlebag. Serves as backup stove fuel too.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #202
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
(2) 1.5L on right (primus with touratech holder)
.6L just right of center. (msr small with cheap bicycle water holder and cheap staps)
Left side is fire ext. and could be water or another 1 - 1.5L (have msr 1L bottle, mount is nice adjustable water bottle holder)
1 - 1.5 gallon extra or 50-70 miles Plus they all run my stove

Old 12-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #203
New englander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I've got a rotopax stuffed behind one of my givi cases, fits nicely and I can just get it out without putting the bike on the center stand

New englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #204
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
One 3.78 litre (1 US gallon) Rotopax

And (kind of seems like cheating a little bit lol) a 5 litre jerry can in the front trunk.

I could fit more fuel in there easily with some added MSR bottles, but this little trip didn't see any need. Plus I had another litre of fuel for my MSR Whisperlite stove anyway, so it is also available in case of emergency.

With a smidge over 2 gallons, that represents about 150 miles extra distance or so, pretty easily.

Note: It does get a wee bit warm in the NCX's "frunk", but nowhere near what I would consider uncomfortable or worrisome, and I did actually have the jerry can inside a separate cordura bag.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #205
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
LBS, what hand guards are you running on that thing? BTW thats the best looking NC I've ever seen. A friend of mine picked one up on my advice after his brand new F800R got taken out by a left turning idiot.

Although it doesn't have the power and oomph of his last few rides he really likes it as a commuter, which is what he was after. He also loves the 70mpg
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #206
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
LBS, what hand guards are you running on that thing? BTW thats the best looking NC I've ever seen. A friend of mine picked one up on my advice after his brand new F800R got taken out by a left turning idiot.

Although it doesn't have the power and oomph of his last few rides he really likes it as a commuter, which is what he was after. He also loves the 70mpg
Thank you

They are some generic ebay cheap knock-off of an older Acerbis style, I think? I sprayed them with black PlastiDip.

I traded in my 2009 BMW F800ST for the NCX.

Aside from all the continual electrical failures, Exxon Valdez oil spewing, coolant spewing, and poor fit and finish, the dealers robbing me blind was the last straw. I commented before the NCX even came out, that I would happily trade a 30 horsepower drop, if it meant better mpg's or larger fuel tank. (barring the bike miraculously stopping being a piece of crap, of course )

Not meaning to insult other BMW owners or F800 owners, they were a very wonderful group of folks and I still miss interacting with 'em
Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #207
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Thank you

They are some generic ebay cheap knock-off of an older Acerbis style, I think? I sprayed them with black PlastiDip.

I traded in my 2009 BMW F800ST for the NCX.

Aside from all the continual electrical failures, Exxon Valdez oil spewing, coolant spewing, and poor fit and finish, the dealers robbing me blind was the last straw. I commented before the NCX even came out, that I would happily trade a 30 horsepower drop, if it meant better mpg's or larger fuel tank. (barring the bike miraculously stopping being a piece of crap, of course )

Not meaning to insult other BMW owners or F800 owners, they were a very wonderful group of folks and I still miss interacting with 'em
It's probably going to be my next bike. The only thing I absolutely hate is where the fuel filler is located. Does it get on your nerves when you're hauling a duffel on the back seat?

A custom drop in aux fuel cell in the frunk would be really really slick.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #208
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
It's probably going to be my next bike. The only thing I absolutely hate is where the fuel filler is located. Does it get on your nerves when you're hauling a duffel on the back seat?

A custom drop in aux fuel cell in the frunk would be really really slick.
I will not lie; the F800's fuel filler was in some ways better being on the side of the bike, but it too, for me, had a few drawbacks for accessing when I had saddlebags 'n luggage and stuff all lashed on.

Curiously enough, I kind of credit my ST for saving me any hassle with filling up the NC700. With that bike, I learned to strap my luggage to the F800's *seat* rather than just over the seat and tieing off or looping the hold down straps to anchor points on the bike.

I employ the same method with the NC, now. I lay the bag/s on the seat, and then pass the straps (two "endless" 1" mini ratchet straps) under the seat, and around the luggage.

With the 800, I could unlock and remove the seat with the duffles attached to it, to get at the storage or the tool needed to take the fake tank cowling off, to retrieve my flat fixing kit.

The NCX, I don't have to do anything different, when it comes to fueling up. It's still simply a matter of turning the key and flipping the seat back, like normal. The luggage stays tightly strapped to the seat, and I don't have to remove it or fiddle with it.

Now, if I were to stack up gear on the rear seat like a leaning tower of Pizza,(snort, lol) well the ratchet straps come undone in literally 5 seconds, and cinch up again just as quick, so I'm all good for any eventuality.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #209
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Here is my NC700x with a 1.75 gallon RotoPax on the rear rack. With two 1.75 units stacked the bike has 460 miles worth of fuel on board. Free RotoPax tip: If you dislike the spring-loaded safety valves as much as I do, the replacement vented nozzles from the water packs can be used on the gas packs for a pre-government involvement solution (notice the yellow plug in the center of the cap instead of a black one).

beemerphile screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 05:42 PM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #210
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Here is my R75/6 with a one gallon RotoPax on the otherwise worthless small rear rack. I have the piggyback extension kit for a second 1 gallon can. The mount is a standard RotoPax mount attached with a couple of 15mm Rail-Mount Polypropylene Beta Series Clamp part number B365303 from Global Industrial...

beemerphile screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 06:05 AM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote