Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #76
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
I have used these for thousands of miles, mainly for my riding buddies but for myself as well in CA and SA, I have big feet and these have NEVER been an issue.
You know they say: Big feet, more fuel.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #77
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
I have used these for thousands of miles, mainly for my riding buddies but for myself as well in CA and SA, I have big feet and these have NEVER been an issue.

But have you ever crashed with these mounts fitted ?

In normal riding conditions, I'm sure they're just fine. The problem is when you crash - they have leg- breaker written all over them. I shudder just thinking of the consequences.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #78
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Maybe a stupid question...but... is it bad to try to run your bike on 'white gas', the type used for cooking. I was told its the same as regular gasoline, just is more refined. I have a MSR bottle with cooking fuel (white gas) and would like to know if I can use it should my bike run out of gas.

My stove is multi-fuel, so worst case is I would just fill my MSR with gasoline (I would just prefer not to cook with gasoline).
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #79
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Maybe a stupid question...but... is it bad to try to run your bike on 'white gas', the type used for cooking. I was told its the same as regular gasoline, just is more refined. I have a MSR bottle with cooking fuel (white gas) and would like to know if I can use it should my bike run out of gas.

My stove is multi-fuel, so worst case is I would just fill my MSR with gasoline (I would just prefer not to cook with gasoline).
I would say not a good idea. I think white fuel burns hotter. google it. Also, white fuel is expensive!!!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #80
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I would say not a good idea. I think white fuel burns hotter. google it. Also, white fuel is expensive!!!
I did about 30 seconds of research and here is what I learned. White fuel can be used in motors but the octane rating is much lower. White Fuel is around 55 octane. Because most all motorcycles are high compression this could be bad. Also you will not have the additives that Gasoline has in it. For short distances I guess you could...
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #81
fbj913
I ride

I dont think it burns hotter, scratch that.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #82
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I did about 30 seconds of research and here is what I learned. White fuel can be used in motors but the octane rating is much lower. White Fuel is around 55 octane. Because most all motorcycles are high compression this could be bad. Also you will not have the additives that Gasoline has in it. For short distances I guess you could...
I did some quick research too and found many conflicting responses to the same question. I think I'll just run my stove on gasoline so my MSR is full of usable fuel should I run out. I just get nervous cooking food over a gasoline flame (albeit the food would be in a pot).
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #83
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I did some quick research too and found many conflicting responses to the same question. I think I'll just run my stove on gasoline so my MSR is full of usable fuel should I run out. I just get nervous cooking food over a gasoline flame (albeit the food would be in a pot).
Curious what makes you nervous about that ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #84
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Kerosene in your bike

If your bike had a diesel engine it would not be an issue to run white gas / Kerosene in it. It is more refined than diesel fuel and has less parafins in it. Having less parafins helps its long term stability and has been used in emergency power generators for years. The less parafins and impurities keeps the biomass from growing and gooping up injectors and filter banks.

Diesel, kerosene/whit gas has more BTUs because it is a heavier fraction distillate than gasoline. That means it has more oil in it and less solvent. The heavier fuels burn and are therefore typically known as "combustibles." The lighter fuels such as gasoline are called "flammables" because they explode. It all has to do with Vapor pressure and density. Diesel engines are compression ignition and gas are spark ignition.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #85
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Curious what makes you nervous about that ?
From what I have been told (which does not make it fact), white gas is further refined to remove impurities. That would mean it burns cleaner. Gasoline, has additives for engines and more impurities and therefore burns 'dirtier' and more carcinogenic.

I'm nervous because I dont want to look back and think how stupid i was cooking food over gasoline flame - similar to people who use to play in asbestos back in the day.

My fears may be completely unfounded, but I'm not informed enough to know, and cant seem to get a straight answer on safety.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #86
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
From what I have been told (which does not make it fact), white gas is further refined to remove impurities. That would mean it burns cleaner. Gasoline, has additives for engines and more impurities and therefore burns 'dirtier' and more carcinogenic.

I'm nervous because I dont want to look back and think how stupid i was cooking food over gasoline flame - similar to people who use to play in asbestos back in the day.

My fears may be completely unfounded, but I'm not informed enough to know, and cant seem to get a straight answer on safety.

Interesting perspective. Not sure I share your concerns but that's not to say the risk does not exist. Like you, I am no expert in this field.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #87
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Interesting perspective. Not sure I share your concerns but that's not to say the risk does not exist. Like you, I am no expert in this field.
I did grow up eating steaks cooked 1 inch away from smoking charcoal briquettes, so I'm sure ive had my fair share of exposure ;)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #88
fbj913
I ride

Quote:

This is a bit of a hijack so this will be the last post from me about it. I do agree with you. I would not cook over Gas. Here is my thinking. It takes me days of straight cooking with white gas to get through one little bottle of that stuff. Why not just carry a little bottle of white gas and then carry whatever gas you want...? For longer trips carry a big white gas bottle. Its not that much space. Just my 2c...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #89
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,669

Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #90
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Weestroms don't need extra gas. They run on fumes
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote