User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
KevXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
http://www.ossamotor.es/ES/models.php?idMoto=337

I see the Canondale engineers finally found a new place to work.

That is one weird looking bike. I hope it is crazy good to ride.
KevXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
looks to share a lot with the TR280 ossa trials bike

greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I hope they build it and would personally get all hot and bothered if they did a competition-level, light, 6spd, two-stroke off road bike with DI. Still waiting for someone to make a two stroke that's better than my '01 CR.
Not to be Trials OT, but....

Getting warm? Over in Thumpers
Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #19
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 633
Think of how many man-hours are in the welding for that expansion chamber alone! Although truthfully it is probably done by robot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
Not to be Trials OT, but....

Getting warm? Over in Thumpers
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendude View Post
looks to share a lot with the TR280 ossa trials bike
yup...

Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Now that's a motorcycle i would like to buy new!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 346
Work of Art!!

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
dudis
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I think my heart paused for a lil bit when i saw this baby. Especially when i read the weight .... 74 Kg.
dudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
ossacanada.ca says that these will be available in June. Oh man, I could be in trouble...
Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Order placed. Ossa Canada has 6 on order, and 3 are already spoken for.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowFear View Post
Order placed. Ossa Canada has 6 on order, and 3 are already spoken for.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 91
It's got me asking...

Impressive machine, innovative engine and chassis, not to mention it's lack of weight. Looks versatile enough to trail ride while still retaining the edge of a full blown trials machine. Sad to say my trials experience is limited to trail riding a TY-350 that I owned briefly until a coworker who actually rode trials offered me double what I paid for it. However, even that limited exposure left me with an appreciation for the breed and I can only imagine what the new machines must be like. My guess would be nothing like the old TY. Currently my lightest machine is a KTM-530. So from this perspective, I pose a question to those of you who have or had trials bikes in your stable. How are they outside of dedicated trials competition, for example as a trail bike for technical terrain? Your comments on the Explorer would be appreciated as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #28
sixstringsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoThere@50 View Post
Impressive machine, innovative engine and chassis, not to mention it's lack of weight. Looks versatile enough to trail ride while still retaining the edge of a full blown trials machine. Sad to say my trials experience is limited to trail riding a TY-350 that I owned briefly until a coworker who actually rode trials offered me double what I paid for it. However, even that limited exposure left me with an appreciation for the breed and I can only imagine what the new machines must be like. My guess would be nothing like the old TY. Currently my lightest machine is a KTM-530. So from this perspective, I pose a question to those of you who have or had trials bikes in your stable. How are they outside of dedicated trials competition, for example as a trail bike for technical terrain? Your comments on the Explorer would be appreciated as well.
There are many on here with more experience than I, but here are my two cents:

You are correct, the new trials are quite different from you old TY, but they have a lot of similarities as well. Current trials bikes weigh in around 142-150 lbs (100 lbs less than your 530), use hydraulic clutches, water-cooled engines, electric fans, no seats, and very small gas tanks. The main thing that people don't realize is just how different the riding position is on a trials bike. Even if you added a seat to a trials bike, it would be a completely different riding experience from a regular MX/Enduro bike. Pair that with a torquey engine with tons of low-end and low gearing, and the difference is even more drastic.

While there are many similarities, riding a trials bike on trails feels more like a different genre/sport than a regular dirt bike. It's tough to explain. Techniques and riding position is so different. I can't emphasize that enough. The pegs are so rearward and low that most of your weight is on the rear tire. If you're used to shifting your weight towards the tank and sliding the rear end around corners, the trials bike is the exact opposite. With all your weight on the back, a high-traction tire, and a torquey motor, you're not going to spin the rear wheel. It's going to grip like crazy. You'll most likely end up lifting the front wheel.

The suspension on a trials bike is quite different as well. It's super soft (even softer than a mountain bike), and they only have about 6" of travel. This lends itself VERY well to trials riding, and even technical trail riding, but once again, it requires a different riding technique. Whoops will cause you to bottom out and will be very tough to ride on a trials bike. You end up using your legs as added suspension, and obstacles you would normally just gas through now require careful speed, line placement, and technique decisions.

Having said all that, I love riding my trials bike on technical trails. It's flat out boring on fire roads, and even the most technical trails become very easy, but I enjoy it. My favorite part about riding a trials bike on a trail is the pace. I see a lot more of nature, and I enjoy the surroundings more. It's a more relaxed ride, rather than blasting through stuff as fast as I dare. My local trials scene is extremely friendly, and they all try to help each other out.

The worst part about riding a trials bike on trails is finding other people with trials bikes to ride with you. Your friends on the big bikes won't want to wait up for you, and you'll just be bored on the trails they like anyway. If you have a friend or two who has a trials bike, it'll make it that much more fun. If you're the only guy around with a trials bike, you'll get bored fast because you won't have anyone to ride with. You'll tell yourself that you'll just hang with your regular riding buddies, but it gets old fast. You'll only have a range of 30 miles before you have to fill the tank (unless you have an OSSA Explorer), and your pace will be much slower than theirs. The lack of a seat really isn't a big deal on the trials bikes. The riding position is so comofortable that I don't feel like I need to sit down much. I would still rather trail-ride an explorer than my current gasgas because of the seat, but a lack of a seat isn't a deal-breaker. Hope that helps.
sixstringsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #29
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 91
Thumb Intrigued

Sixstringsteve, your two cents worth is appreciated. As someone who hasn't had the opportunity to ride a newer trials bike that is the type of insight I was looking for. From what I've been able to glean, the Explorer seems to address two if not three of the issues you mention. Extended range tank, a seat, and one reference mentioned slightly stiffer suspension. From my limited vantage point, even with those adaptations the Explorer still looks to be a competent trials machine, at least for the novice level trials rider. Hopefully more trials riders will chime in here. I'm looking for an ultra lightweight and smaller machine to ride technical single track while learning and practicing proper trials technique. If that goes as planned and I get hooked, I may even start attending local trials events to see what the novice runs look like (if they have any). I have been looking at used machines and gleaning the postings on ADV to learn more about what's out there. The problem is I never leave a used machine alone. It's always a strip to the bare frame and start over proposition for me. Case in point, I have more in my 2001 KLR than the purchase price of the Explorer. (That's not a slam on the KLR, it's a keeper!) The OSSA Explorer as cliché as it sounds, looks to fit the bill right out of the box. The lack of detailed reviews and OSSA's financial stability (as Sting32 mentioned) are issues that may clear up in time. The TR280i that the Explorer is based on seems to be well received so far. More thoughts?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #30
sixstringsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hopefully more people will chime in here, I'm definitely not the expert in the room.

Quote:
From what I've been able to glean, the Explorer seems to address two if not three of the issues you mention. Extended range tank, a seat, and one reference mentioned slightly stiffer suspension. From my limited vantage point, even with those adaptations the Explorer still looks to be a competent trials machine, at least for the novice level trials rider.
I completely agree. The extended range tank and the seat would help a lot. I'd guess that you'll still be able to do beginner trials with it as well. Eventually the seat, tank, and extra weight of the light kit will hold you back, but it doesn't sound like you plan on competing heavily in trials, so you should be fine. It'd definitely be a fine starter trials bike. It'd be really cool if they offered an aftermarket seat/tank for trials that would slim it down for competitions. But even as is, it should be a ton of fun for a beginner trials rider.

Quote:
I'm looking for an ultra lightweight and smaller machine to ride technical single track while learning and practicing proper trials technique.
I don't think there's a better bike on the market that meets your expectations for that. It's ultra lightweight. The only other option would be a beta rev 3 or 4 with a long range kit, or a montesa with a long range kit. This OSSA will make the gnarliest singletrack a piece of cake.

Quote:
The OSSA Explorer as cliché as it sounds, looks to fit the bill right out of the box. The lack of detailed reviews and OSSA's financial stability (as Sting32 mentioned) are issues that may clear up in time. The TR280i that the Explorer is based on seems to be well received so far. More thoughts?
While I can't speak for the financial stability of the company, that engine is one of the hottest things out in the trials game right now. A fuel-injected 2stroke is hot. If I could afford it, I'd pick up an Explorer without a second thought, they seem like just what I want.
sixstringsteve is offline   Reply With Quote