User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Oddometer: 1,353
1200 axle seal failure

We're on a 12000 mile trip around Australia and the seal on the right side of the finasl drive failed yesterday. The final drive seems ok. Here's a picture:

So, my question is this: has anyone encountered this before? Is it common, or am I the only guy? Just to set matters straight, it's been fixed. I was lucky - a local dealer had the parts and did the job on te spot. Amazing, but true. So, how common is this?
lowrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrpm
We're on a 12000 mile trip around Australia and the seal on the right side of the finasl drive failed yesterday. The final drive seems ok. Here's a picture:

So, my question is this: has anyone encountered this before? Is it common, or am I the only guy? Just to set matters straight, it's been fixed. I was lucky - a local dealer had the parts and did the job on te spot. Amazing, but true. So, how common is this?
Very common. Thousands of this exact same failure. That is why the parts were in stock. Good to hear you could get it fixed quickly and are back on your way.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Wow, for some reason I never heard of it til it happened to me. Anyone know what the seal id number is so next time I can get one from a bearing supplier?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,341
Not quite so common as Rick says, but it is definitely not unknown. Fortunately it is a simple and quick fix.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
marcus-st12
frenchy

Oddometer: 211
Had mine fixed last summer on waranty....no problem since
marcus-st12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,380
Yup..happened to me once..easy fix and it doesn't have anything to do with your FD going south..just a bad seal..
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
GasGuzzler
GasGuzzler

Oddometer: 108
Mine looked just like that when it started leaking at 20k, then it kinda dried up. Had it changed under warranty and no problems since. How many miles on your leaker. Were you running long days,high miles,with high ambient temps outside when you had this leak. Mine started leaking after a 700 mile day in southern Ohio at a 90 degree day. Iam thinking the pressure builds in these FDs when subject to long hot days,as I can see no vents on these EVO FDs. The 1150 FDs have a vent on the top of them. Mine will have a vent next time it come apart.
GasGuzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Mine looked just like that when it started leaking at 20k, then it kinda dried up. Had it changed under warranty and no problems since. How many miles on your leaker. Were you running long days,high miles,with high ambient temps outside when you had this leak. Mine started leaking after a 700 mile day in southern Ohio at a 90 degree day. Iam thinking the pressure builds in these FDs when subject to long hot days,as I can see no vents on these EVO FDs. The 1150 FDs have a vent on the top of them. Mine will have a vent next time it come apart.
They are not vented, and I have a little pet theory that if they are overfilled the heat/pressure can build up and cause a leak.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Part # is 33-11-7-679-862. The plastic cover is 33-11-7-665-055. Since I live quite a ways from a dealer I picked up a spare of each recently just in case it happens to mine. $14.28 for the seal and $3.64 for the cover. The seal size is listed as: 60X75X8. Any decent bearing supplier should be able to order you one by size.
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
They are not vented, and I have a little pet theory that if they are overfilled the heat/pressure can build up and cause a leak.

Jim
I subscribe to that theory. If you look closely, many a 1150 series owners filled the FD on the R1200 up to the top of the fill hole..which was Standard on the older series..but not so on the 1200 and you will find that a lot of those started leaking from that seal..coincidence?
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,754
I don't subscribe to the over fill theory as a whole, but over filling would cause a leak. However most of the new gen FD seals we replace have a definite groove on the hub that was caused by some form of grit, whether from the break in process or externally introduced from debris getting past the dust seal (hard plastic grooved ring)

If the hub was hard chromed the problem would be much less prevalent, however I am sure there is a cost issue there not too mention not many places that can do high production hard chromed parts like this due to EPA type regulations. Anyhow, just make sure that once a seal is replaced, the the groove hasn't got so bad that it will re-occur in a short time which is rare, but we've seen multiple times nonetheless.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #12
lowrpm OP
Tar Baby

Why did I never hear of it before? Anyway, my question remains; does anyone know what the seal number is so I can pick one up from a bearing dealer rather than from BMW?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Ya know.... this seal is so inexpensive, maybe wouldn't be a bad idea to make it a maintenance item when the FD fluid is changed? Not the first time, but at the usual intervals thereafter.
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #14
down&dirty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Write up

Does anyone have or know where there is a write up on how to replace this seal?
Thanks
down&dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #15
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,343
The seal dimensions are listed as 59,8X75X8
I had thought that I read that the seal is proprietary and you may have trouble sourcing the item from any place other than BMW.