Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
spmarfatia OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
2006 1200GS purchase check up

Hello Everyone,

I tried to search for any threads for things to purchase check up but did not find much, so decided to create a new one.

I am looking at a 2006 1200GS with 11k miles. buying directly from the second owner, who bought it from the first about a 1 year ago.

Wanted to see if there are any items to pay particular attention to. I had about 2-3 miles drive on suburban roads where I was able to get up to 3rd gear and didn't feel anything out of ordinary.

I like to know what are the known issues for this year model? (I feel all vehicles have those)

Anything to check? Cosmetically, it looks pretty clean, just want to check mechanical things...

Is it necessary to take it to BMW dealer for check up?

It will be my first motorcycle, although I grew up riding them.

looking to purchase this weekend, so quick help/suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Sam
spmarfatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Corroded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmarfatia View Post
Hello Everyone,

I tried to search for any threads for things to purchase check up but did not find much, so decided to create a new one.

I am looking at a 2006 1200GS with 11k miles. buying directly from the second owner, who bought it from the first about a 1 year ago.

Wanted to see if there are any items to pay particular attention to. I had about 2-3 miles drive on suburban roads where I was able to get up to 3rd gear and didn't feel anything out of ordinary.

I like to know what are the known issues for this year model? (I feel all vehicles have those)

Anything to check? Cosmetically, it looks pretty clean, just want to check mechanical things...

Is it necessary to take it to BMW dealer for check up?

It will be my first motorcycle, although I grew up riding them.

looking to purchase this weekend, so quick help/suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Sam
Check FD for wobble and any weeping oil, check backlash in gear. Listen for any weird engine noises.
Check gas gauge works, look at service records.
Corroded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Blu_Vue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Would be good to see record of fluid changes, brakes / final drive / trans
A sitting bike needs new fluid too, no matter the miles, esp with abs. Some say annual change of brake fluid is recommended.

Spin the wheels and make sure they're staight and free of flat spots. Wipe the fork sliders, make sure they're dry.

Inspect for rusty or missing fasteners?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
spmarfatia OP
Adventurer

Thanks for replies.

He said the fluids were changed. no weird engine noises.

how do I check the backlash in gear? wobble in FD?

I will check weeping oil.

given this is a private sale, I won't have much recourse once I hand over the money. Any tricks to find any big hidden issues? that may cost thousands to fix afterwards? lemon laws don't apply to private sales! :-(

on the point, what options people have if somebody cheats somebody by selling something with big hidden issues? sue them in court for fraud?

Thanks,
Old 04-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
21bikes
and counting

I don't know about hidden issues but AFAIK, the '06s don't have a drain plug in the Final Drive, so the oil has to be pumped out or dumped out to be changed, which isn't a major job. The '06s also have the linked ABS brakes which some people don't like. I test rode an '06 and it was a nice bike.
21bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
maxjett
Biketrader

Oddometer: 621
If you have some concerns about the bike why not just have a dealer check it out.

maxjett screwed with this post 04-26-2015 at 05:52 AM
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bikes View Post
I don't know about hidden issues but AFAIK, the '06s don't have a drain plug in the Final Drive, so the oil has to be pumped out or dumped out to be changed, which isn't a major job. The '06s also have the linked ABS brakes which some people don't like. I test rode an '06 and it was a nice bike.
There is a drain. You can't pump it out, but you do have to drop the FD to drain it: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_Final_Drive.html

The ABS on all R1200 series, except the R1200S, have linked ABS brakes. The 05 and 06 have servo-ABS, which I personally like, but otherwise the bikes are pretty solid.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
21bikes
and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
There is a drain. You can't pump it out, but you do have to drop the FD to drain it: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_Final_Drive.html

The ABS on all R1200 series, except the R1200S, have linked ABS brakes. The 05 and 06 have servo-ABS, which I personally like, but otherwise the bikes are pretty solid.
I was told that a large syringe and tube can be used, but if it can't, my mistake. I would have bought the '06 that I test rode if I could have gotten a better deal on it.
21bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bikes View Post
I was told that a large syringe and tube can be used, but if it can't, my mistake. I would have bought the '06 that I test rode if I could have gotten a better deal on it.
The gears are very close to the casing, the tube will not go in more than an inch.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
spmarfatia OP
Adventurer

So, I bought it!

My first GS (or any bike for that matter)

picked it up in Boston and drove it straight down to New York City. no issues on the way. Sound of the engine seem to have changed when I started the ride Vs. after arriving in NYC.

Now time to connect with other 1200GS owners in the area to I can learn some tricks about enjoying it the best and properly taking care of it.

Anyone know any GS or BMW riding clubs in NYC area?

If somebody has lot of experience with these bikes and live near by, I like him to take a look and see if anything needs attention. Might as well take it to the local BMW dealer at some point. (but they are greedy guys, I heard! :))

Thanks,
Sam
Old 04-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Congrats Sam!

If you are ever in the DC area I would be happy to assist, or share a meal!
Old 04-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #12
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 830
My wife and I both have 2006 R1200GSs......We love them.....congrats!

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #13
spmarfatia OP
Adventurer

Thanks Everyone.
Jim, I will hit you up if ever in DC. Have a conference at the end of may there, at Gaylords, but not sure if I will ride bike yet.

time to look for some riding gear: jacket, helmet, etc. Also bike cover. given a long drive today, could use a cruise control. lol

welcome any recommendations and suggestions.

putting it on the bigger stand was a struggle. (and I didn't think I was physically weak until now :-)) May be it takes getting used to and having a rhythm... Will figure it out. Wonder how do I bring it back up if it falls over for some reason..Doesn't feel like a one person job! :-)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmarfatia View Post
Thanks Everyone.
Jim, I will hit you up if ever in DC. Have a conference at the end of may there, at Gaylords, but not sure if I will ride bike yet.

time to look for some riding gear: jacket, helmet, etc. Also bike cover. given a long drive today, could use a cruise control. lol

welcome any recommendations and suggestions.

putting it on the bigger stand was a struggle. (and I didn't think I was physically weak until now :-)) May be it takes getting used to and having a rhythm... Will figure it out. Wonder how do I bring it back up if it falls over for some reason..Doesn't feel like a one person job! :-)
There is a trick, but it is hard to describe. The 05/06 is a bit harder than subsequent bikes.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
spmarfatia OP
Adventurer

Visited a BMW local dealer to get my self familiarized...I guess I will be visiting them often for parts etc.

Service guy recommends the 12,000 miles service. Estimated cost, $800.

It is in the middle of New York City. Is the price is normal or the city premium is added there? Lot of rich people live there!! As soon as I walked in, saw a guy leaving on a new GSA, asked him how much he paid, he said 26K. hmm...

I guess the main important things to do are valve adjustment and throttle sync. How hard to do it by self? I am an engineer by profession but good with some tools over weekends. (enough to be dangerous!!)

What are the symptoms of valves needing adjustment? smoke? noise? loss of power? knocking?

Thanks,
Sam