Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #406
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryscustomcycles View Post
Is there any reason I couldn't buy one from Bill and have him send it to me in Australia. Then just download the Aust maps?

It seems they are around $1500 here, or will be when they arrive.
Maybe a group buy?

Just sayin'
smithdt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #407
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
You'll likely loose the "lifetime" maps (lifetime = for reasonable life expectancy of device by Garmin's definition).
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #408
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You'll likely loose the "lifetime" maps (lifetime = for reasonable life expectancy of device by Garmin's definition).

Why would they? Lifetime Map Updates for North America come with the unit?
They just won't get the updates for Australia maps that they install after the fact, unless they purchase the Lifetime Maps for Australia/New Zealand, but that's a given.

I have a unit that I purchase Lifetime Map updates for when they first came available (around 4 or 5 years ago) and I can still update them every quarter without issue, are there people having problems with Garmin shutting LM down?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #409
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Why would they? Lifetime Map Updates for North America come with the unit?
And now you explain please how that helps you in Australia. Sure the device comes with updates for North America - but that doesn't mean shit in any other part of the world.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #410
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
And now you explain please how that helps you in Australia. Sure the device comes with updates for North America - but that doesn't mean shit in any other part of the world.

I already did explain, and I did so very clearly.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #411
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
I wonder if a telephone call to Garmin support could resolve this. Perhaps they would be willing to change from North American to Australian maps for someone who lives there, provided the unit is bought new?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #412
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I wonder if a telephone call to Garmin support could resolve this. Perhaps they would be willing to change from North American to Australian maps for someone who lives there, provided the unit is bought new?
Sometimes they are accommodating - I've called them once when I had returned a device and needed the "locked in" maps changed to the new one. They did that. Not certain they will switch you to a completely different map coverage though.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #413
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post

This would be nice but not likely, it would probably breech the contractual agreement with the Aussie BMW dealers.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #414
cug
--

Quote:
I already did explain, and I did so very clearly.
Actually, you did. But it was your typical useless ramble. Lifetime maps from NA don't help any Australian buyer as long as Garmin isn't willing to switch.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #415
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Actually, you did. But it was your typical useless ramble. Lifetime maps from NA don't help any Australian buyer as long as Garmin isn't willing to switch.

You were the one attempting to point out the incredibly obvious (that Aussie maps they install after the fact won't get Lifetime updates) like .....no shit sherlock!
It wasn't even a question the man had.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #416
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,526
Thumb

I have a Nav V, an android phone (Motorola Razr Maxx HD), and a Sena SMH-10B running the latest version of the firmware (4.2.1).

I wanted to be able to play/stream music from my phone, not the clunky mp3 only interface of the Nav V. Pairing them in what I supposed would be the normal fashion left me unable to access music on my phone.

Here's the dance I used in order to be able to do so while at the same time connecting the Garmin to the phone for use with the Smartlink traffic and weather functions as well as getting voice prompts.

1) Clear out the old pairings from the Sena, phone and Nav V.

Sena - Press the phone button (smaller button, on side) for 12 secs. After the led turns red and the speaker sounds two beeps, press jog dial (big center button on the SMH-10) within five seconds. Sena will turn off by itself.

Nav V - go to Settings -> Bluetooth, click the previous pairing(s) and click unpair.

2) Pair phone to Sena.

To put the Sena in pairing mode, turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone, and pair up with the Sena.

3) Pair Sena to Nav V

Push and hold the jog dial on the Sena until it flashes red (5 secs). Within 2 seconds, tap the "phone" button... the flashing light turns blue. NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE STANDARD WAY OF PAIRING THE SENA! THIS IS ONE OF THEIR SPECIAL PAIRING OPTIONS.

Go to the Nav V Settings -> Bluetooth menu, choose "Scan for Devices," and select the Sena. If you do it correctly, the headset icon will turn blue, but the music note icon will stay gray in color. Although this enables the Zumo's voice prompts through the Sena SHM-10, you will not be able to play music from the Nav V.

4) Pair phone to Nav V

This is phone specific... you can either make your phone discoverable and add it to the Nav V (Nav V Settings -> Bluetooth menu, choose "Scan for Devices"), or scan for the Nav V on your phone. I did the latter.

Hope this helps. If nothing else, I'll know how to recreate what I did when I screw it all up down the road.

Jarvis screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 11:50 AM
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #417
ironklad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Thanks Jarvis,

That sounds like exactly what I want to do, I think I'm going to order the SMH-10B and give it a try with my iPhone 4. I need to upgrade my phone soon so whether this method of pairing works or not with an iPhone may determine what my next phone is. I'll report my findings once the SMH-10B is in my hands.
ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #418
chosek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryscustomcycles View Post
Is there any reason I couldn't buy one from Bill and have him send it to me in Australia. Then just download the Aust maps?

It seems they are around $1500 here, or will be when they arrive.
You can buy the unit from the USA, Garmin wont let you upload the maps here, (Australia) however you can buy the micro sd maps off ebay and install into the gps.
The only downside to this, is that when you want to update, you will have to buy a new sd card.
Not really a big deal, atm the maps are available on ebay for around $25....
chosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #419
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosek View Post
You can buy the unit from the USA, Garmin wont let you upload the maps here, (Australia) however you can buy the micro sd maps off ebay and install into the gps.
The only downside to this, is that when you want to update, you will have to buy a new sd card.
Not really a big deal, atm the maps are available on ebay for around $25....

I'm pretty sure that you can purchase and download any mapset that you desire from Garmin for the Nav-V.
I had a Nav-IV (bought in the U.S) and I had bought, downloaded and installed several different mapsets from Garmin for Europe, South America and The Middle East/Africa.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #420
chosek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that you can purchase and download any mapset that you desire from Garmin for the Nav-V.
I had a Nav-IV (bought in the U.S) and I had bought, downloaded and installed several different mapsets from Garmin for Europe, South America and The Middle East/Africa.
You could probably purchase Aussie maps overseas, but here in Australia BMW have an agreement tied up with Garmin.........
I can only go by what the Garmin Technical help guy told me.
However He could be wrong, stranger things have happened.
chosek is offline   Reply With Quote