Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #496
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Is the traffic and weather a one time subscription fee or what?
In short, yes (separate fees for each). You get them through the google play store (or, I presume, the apple app store).
Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #497
B00001
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Is the traffic and weather a one time subscription fee or what?
Good question! One time fee or monthly? How much? Would love to be able to see weather, radar on the gps and be able to reroute (or attempt to).
Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #498
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I have the same issue with in-earphones, they don't stay in place.
As far getting good sound quality you probably have as good a setup as you're going to get with the Jabra Street2 and the AKG or Koss headphones, in my case I wear a Shoei Hornet (and have a large noodle) that leaves little room for headphones, the slim headphones that come with the F5XT are the best fit I have found, I'd love to be able to fit a pair of regular good quality (cupped) headphones under my helmet comfortably but that aint going to happen.
It would be nice if a helmet manufacturer made a helmet and integrated some great cupped headphones like my military aviation helmet (not the old leather one that I wear around the house).
As far as integration and ease of use my setup (F5XT, Nav-V and RAZR Maxx HD) is excellent, as far as sound quality goes I can carry on a phone conversation without any difficulty at highway speeds and the music audio quality is very acceptable to me, in fact I look forward to riding so I can listen to my music.
On the Nav-V the wheel controller is so useful that I wouldn't give it up for nothing, on the Nav-IV it sucked, funny thing is that I believe that a simple software update could fix the IV.
I am glad to know that the "wheel" on the GS/V is useful ! I really was a bit worried about this as I agree that on the IV it was next to worthless.

You shoud check out the KOSS PORTA PRO headphones as they are very thin, only 3/8" ( 10 mm)

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #499
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Or these: XPRO HELMET SPEAKERS.

This is one I've ear marked to experiment with in different helmets. I haven't done it yet - but it is on the list.

Personally I like being wired. I have a fairly good set of earbuds (Klipsch) but there are times I long for just the helmet speakers...
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #500
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00001 View Post
Good question! One time fee or monthly? How much? Would love to be able to see weather, radar on the gps and be able to reroute (or attempt to).
I believe the fees are one time. The weather is $20 and the traffi is $5 (i might have them reversed). You can actually download the app even if you don't have the Nav V. The app itself is free and then when you open it, there are free options as well as paid options. I downloaded it on my phone just to check it out.

We have been selling through the Nav V's very quickly and the feedback from people using them has been fantastic. The general consensus is it is a significant upgrade over the Nav IV.

If anyone has any other questions about pricing or any other questions of about the Nav email me at bill@ccbmw.com. Don't forget to mention you are from ADVrider

bill@ccbmw.com
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #501
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
For the love of god, will someone please figure out a way to move the nav mount up so it doesn't obscure part of the tach?
Tach? that's why god gave you ears....
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #502
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post

The X-Pro's look like a great set of earphones, I wonder how difficult it would be to replace the F5XT earphones with these, looks like it would require some soldering.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #503
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I have the same issue with in-earphones, they don't stay in place.
These do. With standard type plugs I can go maybe an hour before they start to hurt. With these, I've done a few 12 hour days with only slight discomfort at the end. Been using them on and off the bike for about 3 years now.

Sound is great ( from IPhone at least) and they don't fall out and because they are individually molded the your own ear cavity, can't be used by anybody else and are less likely to get pinched.

In Australia, supplied as a unit ( plugs and speakers etc) and look to be based on something similar from Insta-mold, which is USA based I think. ( have only had a quick look on Google for USA or UK sources so no joy, but something will definently be available)

http://www.earmold.com.au/Motorcycle...-Headsets.html

Hope it helps....

Cheers
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #504
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Agreed. I don't know what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #505
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I had a custom pair of molded ear plugs with stereo sound fitted at one of the recent rallys in NORCAL. They look very similar to the stereo headsets from Earmold Australia linked several posts up. A guy named Arizona Al (Al Schibi) does these at most rallys.

He molded them to fit my ears and had everything done in about an hour. The noise attenuation is slightly better than foam earplugs, about 32 db. Good protection from riding noise, yet you can still hear things like sirens and horns.

The stereo sound is great because you are not trying to overcome earplugs. Instead you turn the volume way down and enjoy clean clear sound from your Bluetooth headset. Phone calls and dynamic music is easily enjoyed at cruising speeds while wind noise is greatly reduced. Lower fatigue from continual wind noise and no straining to hear music makes the ride more relaxing.

Because these are custom molded they will not slip out of your ear when you put on your helmet. They are trimmed to be flush with your ear opening so they don't exert painful pressure against your inner ear canal like stereo headsets. I am using a Sena SMH-10 bluetooth unit with an optional helmet mount that offers the stereo jack so these stereo earplugs hook to the receiver on the helmet. Because I now drive these earsets at a much lower volume the battery on the receiver last longer. I have done a couple 12 hour rides with the setup with the music/telephone working the whole time.

Pros;
better sound protection
all day comfort
easy to insert into ear and easy removal
superior bluetooth volume and quality
better receiver battery life

Cons
cost $230.00
extra wire to connect to the receiver after putting on helmet.

For me this is the best Bluetooth solution I have found after messing with numerous ear plugs, speakers, and speaker mountings. I think they are worth the money and they can be repaired by Al anytime something needs attention.

I don't know if I can give Al's info on this thread, so PM me if you want his contact info.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #506
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
You can actually download the app even if you don't have the Nav V. The app itself is free and then when you open it, there are free options as well as paid options. I downloaded it on my phone just to check it out.
I didn't know about the app. Must be an iPhone only app. Couldn't find it in play store for android...

LarryGee screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 02:56 AM
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #507
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
I didn't know about the app. Must be an iPhone only app. Couldn't find it in play store for android...
here it is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...honelink&hl=en
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #508
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,920
Quote:
And, my ears are HUGE. God forbid I should see the gauges I paid so much for.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #509
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
And, my ears are HUGE. God forbid I should see the gauges I paid so much for.
finally, my 5'6" height is an ADVANTAGE on the GS....
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #510
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
finally, my 5'6" height is an ADVANTAGE on the GS....
Do you ride with the normal seat and normal suspension?
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote