Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #511
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Do you ride with the normal seat and normal suspension?
i will ride with the LOW seat and "NORMAL" suspension
i rode my '05 GS with the normal seat/normal suspension and it was a taller bike
to me, it's about confidence... i've ridden long enough to feel comfortable putting only my right foot down when i stop at a light
of course... i have to pay close attention to the CAMBER of the road when i DO stop...
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #512
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
finally, my 5'6" height is an ADVANTAGE on the GS....
I'm 6'3", hence the problem. :-/
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #513
MarcParnes
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 438
Hi Guys,
Can anyone with a Nav V tell me the dimensions of the screen please? I want to order a Zagg protector before the GPS gets here and I can only find the diagonal spec on-line. Garmin has two 5" screens with high resolution: 109 x 65 mm or 111 x 63 mm. I'm assuming its one of these.

Thanks,
Marc
A life of bikes
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #514
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcParnes View Post
Hi Guys,
Can anyone with a Nav V tell me the dimensions of the screen please? I want to order a Zagg protector before the GPS gets here and I can only find the diagonal spec on-line. Garmin has two 5" screens with high resolution: 109 x 65 mm or 111 x 63 mm. I'm assuming its one of these.

Thanks,
Marc

110mm X 66mm
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #515
MarcParnes
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
110mm X 66mm
Thank you! I just spoke with Zagg and he suggested their protector for the Garmin Nuvi 3597. Based on JetSpeed's info it will be 1 mm short all around which is of no consequence.

Marc
A life of bikes

MarcParnes screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 10:49 AM
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #516
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
i will ride with the LOW seat and "NORMAL" suspension
i rode my '05 GS with the normal seat/normal suspension and it was a taller bike
to me, it's about confidence... i've ridden long enough to feel comfortable putting only my right foot down when i stop at a light
of course... i have to pay close attention to the CAMBER of the road when i DO stop...
I have a low seat to sell if you don't find one ...
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #517
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Nav V in a Nav IV Mount

For those that said the Nav V will not fit in a Nav IV mount ... you are wrong. It does fit and works fine. It was a little tight going in but my local dealer said some of the Nav V are tight in the Nav V mount when you first put them in. Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words ... in a Touratech locking mount, too.

Navigator IV

Navigator V

Navigator V with ignition on ...

Screen resolution is fantastic!!

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #518
BMW_Ken
BMW Rider

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post
in a Touratech locking mount, too.

Paul, which Touratech mount is that? I assume it would work with the Nav V cradle??
BMW_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #519
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Ken View Post
Paul, which Touratech mount is that? I assume it would work with the Nav V cradle??
It is p/n 065-0560 but I don't think it is listed online anymore. You can call them and ask. They may still have some. I did not actually try and mount the Nav V cradle into it but the parts guy let me take it out and compare it to the one on my bike. Very sure it will fit.

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #520
JetSpeed
Naviator

Well that makes sense, I could not understand why they would make the Nav-V not fit the IV cradle.
I have noticed that the Nav-V fits very tightly in my GPS prep package mount where as the Nav-IV was an easy fit.

The Touratech 065-0560 cradle mount is available from Touratech Germany's website: http://shop.touratech.com/handlebar-...-lockable.html
And they ship to the U.S.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #521
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 208
Nav V fits fine in the cradle of my Nav IV on my '13 GS LC. The wheel is many times more active and effective, too. I love the "My GPS" or whatever they call it where you have a choice of four different number of fields: 1, 2, 4, 16. I wish there could have been an "8" because at 16 I'd need an 8x10 magnifying glass to see everything, including tire pressures and other data already available. How can we tell Garmin/BMW Motorrad that we'd like a field of eight? For those of you who simply like speed, altitude, miles to destination and arrival time you'll get 'em in really nice big numbers. Of course you could click in the time of sunset as well!

It's a great unit.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #522
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Maybe so. Of course, I don't own a Nav V at this point. I removed the OEM "GPS Prep" mount from my crossbar shortly after taking delivery of the bike because I hated having the tach blocked. If yours is still on there, is it possible to tell how much slack in the cord leading up to the mount is available? All of the solutions mentioned so far seem as though they will require additional distance from where the mount harness plugs in.

ETA: I think I could get a block of black Delrin from McMaster-Carr and make something to offset the OEM mount for a lot less than these other solutions, with the exception of the RAM stuff, which doesn't necessarily look as good.
I had removed mine as well last spring when I initially picked up the GSW. However, today, I re-installed the horse shoe and wiring. It appears that there is at least 5 inches of extra wiring on the harness from the GPS to the main bike harness.
Hint - for those of you who may have done the same thing - only ONE connector/ male plug from the GPS is used to mate with the bike's harness. I couldn't remember that I had only unplugged one and spent several hours taking off plastic and re-installing it only to find no other mating plug ... then I found out that the K1600 and GSW use the same Nav cradle and harness. The 1600 also has an audio system which the GSW does not.

+1 on the improved screen resolution on the Nav V. The past ride screen info is very interesting as well.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #523
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
I had removed mine as well last spring when I initially picked up the GSW. However, today, I re-installed the horse shoe and wiring. It appears that there is at least 5 inches of extra wiring on the harness from the GPS to the main bike harness.
Hint - for those of you who may have done the same thing - only ONE connector/ male plug from the GPS is used to mate with the bike's harness. I couldn't remember that I had only unplugged one and spent several hours taking off plastic and re-installing it only to find no other mating plug ... then I found out that the K1600 and GSW use the same Nav cradle and harness. The 1600 also has an audio system which the GSW does not.

+1 on the improved screen resolution on the Nav V. The past ride screen info is very interesting as well.
Thanks for that useful info!

This is a very interesting thing. I wonder if it means that one could take the output from the second plug on the GPS harness and pull audio from it?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #524
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Thanks for that useful info!

This is a very interesting thing. I wonder if it means that one could take the output from the second plug on the GPS harness and pull audio from it?

My understanding is that the audio out leads will not support listening to MP3's as the feature is disabled unless paired to an A2DP Bluetooth device, there was also some confusion that the wire leads only offered Mono output, I believe that this may have been debunked, but it makes no never-mind as the audio leads can only be used for GPS guidance commands.
There is a workaround for this on the Nav-IV since the MP3 player will work via the 3.5mm stereo plug unless it cradled, but the Nav-V has no external plug.

Had a strange thing happen with my Nav-V last night as the sun was setting, I went in to adjust the screen brightness with the slider and it went all the way down, I could barely see the screen, no matter where I slid it too the screen remained very dim, I selected the Auto button and the screen came back to about 50% and that was as bright as I could it, got home and removed the GPS and the brightness worked normally. So I won't be messing with the brightness control on the fly again.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 08:01 AM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #525
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
My understanding is that the audio out leads will not support listening to MP3's as the feature is disabled unless paired to an A2DP Bluetooth device, there was also some confusion that the wire leads only offered Mono output, I believe that this may have been debunked, but it makes no never-mind as the audio leads can only be used for GPS guidance commands.
Let me restate what you just said, to see if I understand it. Please let me know if I am mistaken:

The second plug on the GPS Prep mount puts out audio of the voice prompts given when following a route, but not music playing. This is true with a Nav V in the mount.